• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Forza Motorsport

Forza Motorsport

• No, definetly not.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zenon

For those unfamiliar with Forza Motorsport, it's a xBox game being developed and heavily financed by Microsoft right now. They're basically set on a mission to try and create a Gran Turismo 4 killer - I doubt they'll actually do it, but I just found this gameplay video and it looks pretty insane: http://www.gamezone.tv/videos/forrza.wmv

I've always hated xBox's and have always said I'd never buy one, but this game looks incredible.

Don't think so, it looks like the game is in design stage..not as spectacular as Gran Turismo..I almost fell asleep

no.. won't have as many cars and modes and possibilities.. nor the great reputation of the GT seires

In response to the apathy towards this game I'll post a bit more of a thorough description of the game :)P). I was at work when I made the original post, and all game sites are proxied out on the network so I couldn't quote any of the features. The release date is currently set for early January 2005. Here's a quick rundown of some of the game's features (most of which are not covered in the video, and most of which are still tentative):

- 200 fully licenesed vehicles with full damage modelling. Here are some of my personal highlights:
  • 2004 Volvo S60 R
    2004 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII FQ-330 (Lightweight Mitsubishi Racing)
    2000 Nissan S15 Silvia Spec-R
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Spec-C (Japan Spec)
    2001 Aston Martin Vanquish
    2005 Aston Martin DB9 Coupe
    2005 Mercedes CL65 AMG
    1984 Ferrari 288GTO
    2002 Lotus Esprit V8
    1993 Ferrari 512TR
    2004 Ferrari 360 Modena F1
    1998 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta F1 hardtop
    1998 Ferrari F355 Challenge
    2004 Ferrari 360 CS (Challenge Stradale)
    2005 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti
    2003 Porsche 911 (996) GT3
    1995 Porsche 911 (993) GT2
    2001 TVR Tuscan R
- AI that could end up being insanely intelligent. Here's a snip from IGN:
IGN said:
This learning AI watches you race and learns from you and can mimic you. He can improve on you as well. You can use this technology to train your own racing team to race just like you, but the applications go much further than this. The Forza team sets up several Xboxes each night and lets them race. The Drivatar AI learns from them every time. It's not just learning the tendencies on a general level, but for every car and track and with every modification. How does this one drive in a Civic Type R with modifications X, Y, and Z handle this one specific turn in Laguna Seca on the third lap? Yes it's that exact. If you brake late and spin out, the AI learns from this and is smart enough to make adjustments based on your failure. Every night Drivatar is learning, becoming smarter and better with every car on every track in every condition so that it can make smart real-time "human" decisions in a race.

- An incredibly cool sounding way of buying, trading and using vehicles and after market parts. Another snip from IGN:
IGN said:
When you first kick up Forza, you'll create a profile. Part of the process involves choosing a region -- USA, Europe, or Asia. You don't have to pick a region you're from, but you can only pick one and that's where you are from, for the rest of your use with that profile.... a Chevy is commonplace in the US, but good luck buying on in Asia.

Every car and part has a rarity rating based on your region. If something is rare, it's going to cost you more. It may not even be available to you at all. How do you fix this? By trading cars and parts with people who's profiles are from other regions where those things aren't rare. You can do this online or offline (with a memory card save). Think of it like Pokemon Blue and Red. Crazy, huh?

The purpose for this is to help create a massive virtual racing community. Not only will every gamer have a unique car, but they're gonna be swapping cars and parts like six-graders swap spit at summer camp.

I still don't like xBox's, and I hate just about every single game that has been released for the xBox, but this game just sounds nuts. Combine all of the features I listed above with xBox Live and this could be one incredible racing sim. I may end up going against every fibre in my body that tells me not to buy an xBox and end up getting one just for this game. :p

Anyone wanting more info, go here: http://xbox.ign.com/objects/682/682857.html

So, does anyone think this game looks any more appealing now that online play has been pulled out of Gran Turismo 4?

My opinion is Polyphony Digital (makers of Gran Turismo) just shot themselves in the foot and will probably end up losing market share in North America - probably not a substantial amount, but Forza Motorsports may prove to be a catalyst for motorsport fans moving over to xBox'es. If I had the cash, I'd almost consider buying one for the few exclusive motorsport games (and I have always been adamantly against the xBox).

Overheat said:
zenon said:
- 200 fully licenesed vehicles with full damage modelling.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I NOW WANT AN XBOX! FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!

I know, I've been thinking the exact same thing.

I just rented Burnout 3 for my PS2 this weekend thinking that it would be fun to try a racing game with full damage modelling. Little did I know that Burnout has less to do with racing than Mario Kart. I guess it's supposed to have arcade-like control, and it's supposed to be fast and fun (not realistic), but the game is absolutely awful. It's one thing to make the driving physics arcade-like, but this game has absolutely no physics, period. I cannot figure out why this game has been so highly rated by reviewers and has been praised by almost everyone who plays it...
I guess I'm just picky - I like my racing games to actually have physics. :p

If Forza turns out as good as it sounds, it'll be one step closer to the dark side for me (ie. considering buying an xBox). :lol:

^ You know what, although I use it all the time I'm actually not completley sure. :oops: I think it may stand for "in effect". It's used in a simlar way to "ex" instead of "example".

So I think my statement would reading something like: "If Forza turns out as good as it sounds, it'll be one step closer to the dark side for me (in effect considering buying an xBox)"

Anyone know for sure what it stands for? I'm intrigued now.

It stands for "id est", which is latin for "that is". Also, the abbreviation for "for example" is e.g., which is latin for "exempli gratia". Learn something new everyday huh? ;)

btw, just watched the video for that game and I must say I'm almost entirely disappointed - it just looks like another NFS:Underground clone *BORING*. At least I won't need to buy an Xbox now :)

after seeing that geek in the vid make his case here's mine,

(lets get this out of the way first, In my biased opinion PS2 and playstation is the best console available now.)

now for less biased opinion and more observations, opinions and comments about this game.

The reason why Gran Turismo hasnt added crash damage is because it isnt really needed. The series is THE driving simulator out there, period! :wink: If I wanted crash damage and worse yet, have points taken out to repair it after finishing a race I'd go to Manhattan, rent a 360 Modena and head to the nearest track and see how cool the car would look after a few dents. Then I would pay out of my pocket because that is as real a driving experience will get. There is no need to put that in a game for numerous reasons,

1. If gamers would want such realism to that extent we would have demanded a "gatorade move" where basketball players in the games HAVE to take in a few gulps of the sports drink to replenish their thirst and energy, OR A lawyer feature in which basketball or football players in the game need to hire a lawyer in the event that while you are playing the offseason GM mode the player is involved in a rape case, gun posession or murder charge or even the typical fan suing for money bit.

2. If you want that much reality, do it yourself as I stated with the ferrari.

3. When putting that kind of element in a game it takes away from the games purpose. This is obviously a selling point of this game, this "damage" gimick but how many of you will spend hours taking exotics and wrecking them to see how it would look. If yes then that game didnt appeal to the hardcore driving enthusiast but to your simpler minded level of intelligence in which arcade type games satisfy that simpler need to crash or bang etc. Its really an arcade game dressed up as a sim.

If you want to see cars take damage one game I recommend is NFS: HP2 or for Xbox Project Gotham, from what i heard it takes car damage like Need For Speed does.

The reason why we dont want THAT much reality in the game is because we want as close as an experience BUT still a fantasy or gaming element. That's why most games are really GAMES and not dictated on life. This is why certain things that made it to consoles like, chess games, Pool, bowling or golf suck ass.

IN CONCLUSION PEOPLE, we all know that jumping off a three story building would lead to cuts, gashes or worse broken bones. However, how fun is it, while playing GTA: Vice City, that you can jump off a three story building then sprint til the characters' tired instead of checking yourself at a hospital, paying for treatment, medicine etc then waiting til you recovered before being able to jack someone for their ride. :wink: :lol:

im pretty sure you know where i voted on this. :wink:

[mindless rant]
Ok, don't quite agree with you there. I do like to have damage on cars, it's an incentive to drive like the professionals more than anything. The thing I don't care that much about is being able to mod the cars up. In fact, if a game manufacturer wants ME to buy a driving game now, all they really have to do is put an in-car view into it so that I can really feel like I'm driving it (I want a Driving Emotion sequel DAMMIT!) :( Also, get the amount of cars as close to 1,000 as possible and the only astounding visual mod be something similar to "Racing Modification" on the first two GTs. I should be going into games design, I need this perfect game too bad!! (Give me GT2000 aswell!)
[/mindless rant]

zenon said:
Overheat said:
zenon said:
- 200 fully licenesed vehicles with full damage modelling.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I NOW WANT AN XBOX! FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!

I know, I've been thinking the exact same thing.

I just rented Burnout 3 for my PS2 this weekend thinking that it would be fun to try a racing game with full damage modelling. Little did I know that Burnout has less to do with racing than Mario Kart. I guess it's supposed to have arcade-like control, and it's supposed to be fast and fun (not realistic), but the game is absolutely awful. It's one thing to make the driving physics arcade-like, but this game has absolutely no physics, period. I cannot figure out why this game has been so highly rated by reviewers and has been praised by almost everyone who plays it...
I guess I'm just picky - I like my racing games to actually have physics. :p

If Forza turns out as good as it sounds, it'll be one step closer to the dark side for me (ie. considering buying an xBox). :lol:

Agreed. :evil: :evil:

My friend bought Burnout 3 the other day, and we've mostly been gaming it since then. Must play it many hrs in long hauls I think to "sink" into the game ...
And our conclusion is the same, basically. Not very realistic, and way too fast to have any sense of controll, and alot is let up to luck.
I'm pritty disappointed, so we'll just trade it to Underground II, and hope that's a bit better than its predesessor - and Burnout 3. That should be out early Novermber.
Then we'll go for GT4 when that is out, God knows when that will be ...

haz

>So, does anyone think this game looks any more appealing now that online play has been pulled out of Gran Turismo 4?

Not sure it's actually been pulled. I have multiplayer LAN mode, and using XLink you can most certainly play online against others. :)

yeah you can play online, I saw a vid of that, It lagged like crazy though

I highly doubt that, since I have never, ever, had ANY lag on Xbox Live. And if there was any, it's pre-production mate. (How the hell do they want to play Live anyway without other people being able to play the game?)

i just watched a trailer of it. lok pretty cool cna mod your car! do u tihnk u cna mod the ferriai's?

funny how ferrai lets forza have licenes to their cars and not GT$.

i doubt i buy a xbox just for this game though, like i did for gt4

ok I have gotten a hold of the demo for this thing and even with the very limited features for the demo, it kicks major ass. It uses the analog triggers on the xbox's controller to great effect. After playing it some with friends of mine that are pretty die hard GT3 players/fans we've come to two conclusions:

1. This game kicked our asses.
2. VERY FINE THROTTLE CONTROL will be key to winning here.

for christ's sake you can turn off abs on a fucking le mans prototype class car and lock your wheels completely by more than tapping the breaks :shock:

^ Sounds like you'd need a wheel.
I suppose they're not making it for the PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.