Ownership Verified: Four more litres of displacement ('92 LS400)

Very nice! I'm looking forward for a ride on this one some day :)

Very nice! I'm looking forward for a ride on this one some day :)

Thanks, same words for your project ;)

In other news, got the import tax bill, 530 ?. It sucks that we still have import tax even inside EU, but that amount is definitely on the better end of the scale, so it's good news :)

Got the plates! Officially legal now :dance:

UK plates were attached with double sided tape. Dear god...

Bbehind the rear plate especially, the tape solidified into fucking diamond. I am not even joking, I spent over an hour cleaning the area just outside the finnish-sized plate. And I left it at that.

Here it is, in its final glory, fresh from the wash :)

The phone camera is shit, and there was not enough light, so you'll have to take my word for this -- it's stunning in person when clean. It won't be clean any more by tomorrow afternoon, unfortunately :(

Reactions: lip
For some reason I thought the car is completely grey - but it appears to be mainly white :D

A heat gun might have turned the double sided taped into peelable goo?

glue remover, possibly piano wire and posautus?

Glue remover should make it easy. I would recommend removing the tape leftovers pretty soon, otherwise it can damage the clear coat.

And oh boy, it does look stunning. I usually don't like white cars, but that is the only correct color for an LS400.

Glue remover should make it easy. I would recommend removing the tape leftovers pretty soon, otherwise it can damage the clear coat.

It's likely been there for 25 years, why the urgency? :) I think I'll leave the tape behind the rear plate, it actually serves the purpose of cushioning the plate mount.

The heat might have helped, I don't know. I've tried some solvents, even brake cleaner (on hidden parts) and it basically dissolves the foam but leaves the glue. In parts the glue was absolutely solid and brittle. It seemed to be infused into the clearcoat already, the surface is a bit pitted under some of the removed patches. Anyway, I consider this case closed, it will only become an issue if someone wants to put shorter plates.

Last edited:
I am confident enough to say that this is the best product on the market at the moment for removing glue leftovers, tar, etc.
Nanolex Race Film Remover

I?ve compared it to about 10 other tar removers, but obviously haven?t tried all the other products in the world.
I?d be happy to be proved wrong though, so if somebody comes up with a better product I am very interested.

You need non EU plates to make it a proper brexit.

I'm also wondering why the EU-plates? Or was it a matter of it doesn't matter?

I'm also wondering why the EU-plates? Or was it a matter of it doesn't matter?

Weeelll, it does and it doesn't. Firstly and most importantly - that's the only option for the first set. I can order EU-less plates now that I have these, but I wont. Although this is not a very strong opinion, but I don't want EU-less plates here. I explained this elsewhere already, so I'll just repeat ;)

There is no way that this car would be feasibly registered here originally as RHD. The change in rules allowing RHD happened after the introduction of EU plates, so old style plates simply don't belong here. Having EU-less plates would be just indicating to others that I car too much about how my numberplate looks. And of course I do, but I don't want non car-people thinking that! Or worse, associating me with some sort of nationalist that can't tolerate eu-insignia even on a numberplate.

So yes, I like white plate more, especially on a white car, but in my opinion, there needs to be a benefit of the doubt that it could be the original plate. Originality overrides aesthetics.

You need non EU plates to make it a proper brexit.

Nah, I like to think it's the opposite. Putting EU logo on an ex-British car is subtly adding insult to injury :p And I'd like to have EU plates on the Daimler too, but that will probably be veto-ed by the other shareholders.

RHD was possible even before, but no-one bothered with it except missionaries returning from Japan or something like that :p There are Crowns and IIRC at least one RHD 626 Capella from the late '80s in Finland.

To the best of my knowledge (which is purely anecdotal to be honest), RHD was only possible with special persmission. And one of the ways to get it was to convince them that the model was not available in LHD.

Yes, to all of this and the EU-plates makes it a simple task to drive the car outside Finland, which is nice.

Finish numberplates look so good.

Finish numberplates look so good.

They're pleasantly clean and "user friendly" indeed. I wish they were the same size as other Euro plates though.