Fox body mustang team, ASSEMBLE!

I bought a '92 2.3 auto car (yes, the high HP car) for my wife to put a 5.0 in a few weeks back. It is slow. Not just slow, but incredibly slow.

We took it to the dragstrip this weekend just to see how slow. She made two runs and I made two runs, her best was 20.19@68. Mine was 20.18@68. This is in contrast to my turbo 2.3 SVO which isn't fast, but much quicker at 15.12@89.

1985-1989 Toyota MR2 FTW. :mrgreen: If you don't know how to take corners this will teach you very quickly. No driver aids--unless you count tires and a steering wheel. :lol: :mrgreen:

Plus the 80s ones are utterly sexy.
mk1_b.jpg

I bought a '92 2.3 auto car (yes, the high HP car) for my wife to put a 5.0 in a few weeks back. It is slow. Not just slow, but incredibly slow.

We took it to the dragstrip this weekend just to see how slow. She made two runs and I made two runs, her best was 20.19@68. Mine was 20.18@68. This is in contrast to my turbo 2.3 SVO which isn't fast, but much quicker at 15.12@89.

I knew they were slow, but my god a 20 second quarter? :blink: And that's even with the 1992 105bhp power increase from 88bhp! Imagine the 88bhp quarter time. :lol:

mk1_b.jpg

+1 By far my favorite MR2 is the first gen. My brother and I are restoring/modifying his '85 this spring/summer. :D

FYI the 2.3L 4cyl Mustang ended with the 1993 model year. The 1994+ used a V6. And since my brother has owned TWO 2.3L 1993 Mustangs I can say with experience about its reliability and whatnot.

1. Be prepared to replace the cooling system every year.
2. Be prepared to replace an alternator every year or two.
3. Be prepared to replace the radiator every year or two.
4. Be prepared to accept that you will be slower than a stock Honda Civic.
5. Interior rattles like its GM counterparts.
6. Other than the above issues it is completely reliable for a daily driver.

Don't get a 4cyl, its just underpowered and worthless. If you have to get a foxbody (and you will love them) get the 302 in coupe form--you'll love it.

1st bold statement, dude you have no clue about this subject. Take your bias and leave. US Domestic cars can be just as relaible as Imports. Look at my Camaro, 242,320 miles on the original engine as of today and no signs of it dying. If I hadn't of removed the interior and removed the original red paint it would costmetically still be in great shape. <_<

2nd bold statement, you are once again wrong. 2.3L engines upto 1991 in the Mustang were 88bhp and 105lb.ft of torque. In 1992 the 2.3L gained an extra spark plug per cylinder which gave it 105bhp and 135lb.ft of torque. Not fast maybe, but as a daily driver perfectly adequat.

Lol, go shove it up your ass. My first statement was an obvious generalization meant as a joke. And my second statement I said "something like 83 hp" NOT EXACTLY 83. And holy shit I was off by 5 horsepower, I AM A FREAKING MORON CLEARLY.

Fuckoff.

redcard.gif

RED CARD!

Back on topic people.

I was deffinately out of line with that post, I realize. I would just like to apologize to the other forum members and staff for that outburst.

Very sorry.

Matt, any news on what you're going to get to replace the Camry?

Lol, go shove it up your ass. My first statement was an obvious generalization meant as a joke. And my second statement I said "something like 83 hp" NOT EXACTLY 83. And holy shit I was off by 5 horsepower, I AM A FREAKING MORON CLEARLY.

Fuckoff.

There was no need for the profanity If you're being sarcastic or saying things in jest it would be a good idea to use a smiley. :mrgreen: <-- I sometimes forget to do it and get responses like the one I did to you. So my apologies if I took what you said as gold.

1985-1989 Toyota MR2 FTW. :mrgreen: If you don't know how to take corners this will teach you very quickly. No driver aids--unless you count tires and a steering wheel. :lol: :mrgreen:

+1 By far my favorite MR2 is the first gen. My brother and I are restoring/modifying his '85 this spring/summer. :D

:heart: you guys! Nice to see some people finally see the light, i owned one for two years and in that time it really does teach a lot about quick driving, partly due to the way the chassi talks to clearly, and partly due to the fact that the car only responds well to smooth inputs. I think in the realm of sportscars its the complete opposite of a Subaru STI, in that instead of dull brute force its all precise, brimming with feel, and revy.

About the style though, i personally think it looks much better at some angles then it does at others, in particular the profile is hard to digest, but with that said I would happily buy another if it wasn't for the fact that i really want to own as many different cars as possible in my lifetime :p. Maybe I'll return to it someday.

Anyways, as for beauty shots, how about these?

0709_sccp_01_z+1988_toyota_mr2+front_rear_view.jpg

Father and Son Deno mk1.5 MR2s

Stance changed a little, BAM, looks cool as hell.

Last edited:
Matt, any news on what you're going to get to replace the Camry?

Camry is still ticking, its all speculation at this point, but i'm seriously looking at late 80's early 90's box caddys.

Camry is still ticking, its all speculation at this point, but i'm seriously looking at late 80's early 90's box caddys.

Can you afford that with gas prices reaching $4/gallon? I just filled up yesterday - got 30mpg.

I really don't care about gas mileage at all, i don't commute more then 5 miles a day and even if i did i see it as paying for the privilege of a car that isn't "totally gay" (For lack of a more diplomatic term). $4 a gallon really isnt still a lot of money, our brothers in Europe are paying $6-8 dollars a gallon. If anything this ridiculous notion that gas milage is important just means that i get the cars i want that much cheaper.

Hell if i'm really laying on the gas in the Z28, you can actually SEE the needle moving downwards :D

Last edited:
I really don't care about gas mileage at all, i don't commute more then 5 miles a day and even if i did i see it as paying for the privilege of a car that isn't "totally gay" (For lack of a more diplomatic term)

Camrys aren't gay unless a gay person is driving one. Anyways, I'm the more sensible of the lot when it comes to choosing new cars. My friend wants to buy a truck for no good reason other than he thinks they look cool.

My 2.2L 4 cylinder toyota camry gets 16-19 miles to the gallon, my 5.7L V8 Camaro (if you're careful with the throttle) can manage 18.

Something is wrong with the 'yota.

I recall reading somewhere that a heavy 4cyl car will get less mileage than a v8, cos of the strain, maybe that's it?

Part of the reason is, i can slap the camaro into 6th gear and cruise at freeway speeds at 1300 RPM no problem, to do the same thing with the camry it needs to live at 2600-3000 all day in 3+O.

Last edited:
Part of the reason is, i can slap the camaro into 6th gear and cruise at freeway speeds at 1300 RPM no problem, to do the same thing with the camry it needs to live at 2600-3000 all day in 3+O.

A lot of cars with a base 4-cylinder engine use really short gearing. For my xB, in fifth gear @ 60 mph the RPM are at 3000. But @ 80 mph the RPM are at 4000. That makes a huge difference in my mpg (30 vs. 35).

Not at all, i love the MR2/MRS, i'm not talking about any car (or square box's shaped like cars) in specific. I just dont think a big thirsty engine is all that horrible. Eat out once or twice less a month (probibly healthier for you too) and you've saved all the money you lost from having a lower MPG, and you get a car that most people dont have.

(Even if you dont like big thirsty muscle cars, you cant call a Z-28 boring or mundane)