Fox body mustang team, ASSEMBLE!

So, let me get this straight. You're worried your '97 Camry will suddenly become unreliable, so you want to buy a 4 cylinder fox body mustang? :? :blink:

When I worked at a car dealership I overheard couple who just bought a 100k+ mile Avalon talking about their Camry they traded (like yours) which they drove to 300k miles. They said they drove it regularly, simply changing to synthetic oil after 100k miles. I dunno how long yours will last after all your "high speed" highway runs. :lol:

I've got a bad feeling my toyota is starting to die, and am thinking about getting rid of it while its still worth some money, and am looking at several cars to replace it as a daily. (including a 1989 Cadillac fleetwood, lol!)

My friend sent me this link, of a 1994 Mustang LX (yes, i'd want the 4cyl) that looks to be in alright shape, how feasable would this be as a daily driver? How is the reliability? Mileage?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=239941945

Thanks.

FYI the 2.3L 4cyl Mustang ended with the 1993 model year. The 1994+ used a V6. And since my brother has owned TWO 2.3L 1993 Mustangs I can say with experience about its reliability and whatnot.

1. Be prepared to replace the cooling system every year.
2. Be prepared to replace an alternator every year or two.
3. Be prepared to replace the radiator every year or two.
4. Be prepared to accept that you will be slower than a stock Honda Civic.
5. Interior rattles like its GM counterparts.
6. Other than the above issues it is completely reliable for a daily driver.

Don't get a 4cyl, its just underpowered and worthless. If you have to get a foxbody (and you will love them) get the 302 in coupe form--you'll love it.

If you're looking for a 4 banger, why on earth would you want the mustang? All the unreliability of a domestic car plus the shite performance of an import? And according to sources, the performance is abysmal and the mileage poor for what you get. I think it's something like 83 horsepower. Truley a terrible car, only recommended for doing complete driveline swaps.

1st bold statement, dude you have no clue about this subject. Take your bias and leave. US Domestic cars can be just as relaible as Imports. Look at my Camaro, 242,320 miles on the original engine as of today and no signs of it dying. If I hadn't of removed the interior and removed the original red paint it would costmetically still be in great shape. <_<

2nd bold statement, you are once again wrong. 2.3L engines upto 1991 in the Mustang were 88bhp and 105lb.ft of torque. In 1992 the 2.3L gained an extra spark plug per cylinder which gave it 105bhp and 135lb.ft of torque. Not fast maybe, but as a daily driver perfectly adequat.

I suggest we make a thread about this. We could all go down to the ale house for drinks. I'll bring my destroyed camaro, despite it not having any headlights. (It would have to be during the day if so) Or working taillights for that matter... Or anything attached aft of the headers... heh

3-5 people should be quite enough.

It'll have to be this upcoming Saturday or Sunday; after that I'm back to the frozen wastes of New England. Where would a thread like that go, anyway?

2.3L engines upto 1991 in the Mustang were 88bhp and 105lb.ft of torque. In 1992 the 2.3L gained an extra spark plug per cylinder which gave it 105bhp and 135lb.ft of torque

Dude, you're splitting hairs. 83hp vs 88hp, that's pretty damn close.

Dude, you're splitting hairs. 83hp vs 88hp, that's pretty damn close.

Not when you take into account he quoted the wrong BHP and neglected to mention the power increase in 1992. I stand behind my pickiness. :mrgreen:

Never get a 4 banger domestic car that's potentially slower than a Tercel. And I should know..... I think the roots of that engine n be traced back to them exploding Pintos.I personally wouldn't suggest the 2.3L Mustangs unless if it's the SHO versions. If your just looking for a reliable and cheap car, either

a) Fix the Camry, shouldn't be much of a problem
b) Buy an '01-03 Corolla

I kinda would like something old with like 70BHP, i dont mind being slow. As long as its somewhat reliable and not boring.

Looking into the Box GM cars or Lincon town cars, land yachts that can be had for 2 thousand in alright condition.

How about ex-police P71 Interceptors? You can pick one up for $3000- $4000. They should be fairly reliable cars. The only downside is the rather poor fuel economy. Or, you could go for a B-Body Caprice (The newer ones looks the best IMO).

Or a recent Buick with the 3.8 V6. Plenty of those in South Florida for cheap, and if you can find a Regal GS with the supercharger, so much the better.

How about ex-police P71 Interceptors? You can pick one up for $3000- $4000. They should be fairly reliable cars. The only downside is the rather poor fuel economy. Or, you could go for a B-Body Caprice (The newer ones looks the best IMO).

I owned one of these (1999 model) and it was super fun and super reliable. Not to mention its just "cool". But yes, the gas mileage sucked horribly. I managed 8MPG--granted I used the thottle quite liberally. :mrgreen:

I kinda would like something old with like 70BHP, i dont mind being slow. As long as its somewhat reliable and not boring.

Looking into the Box GM cars or Lincon town cars, land yachts that can be had for 2 thousand in alright condition.

I owned an 80s era Towncar I was not a fan of the Winded V8.

Never get a 4 banger domestic car that's potentially slower than a Tercel. And I should know..... I think the roots of that engine n be traced back to them exploding Pintos.I personally wouldn't suggest the 2.3L Mustangs unless if it's the SVO versions. If your just looking for a reliable and cheap car, either

a) Fix the Camry, shouldn't be much of a problem
b) Buy an '01-03 Corolla

Fixed, yes I am overly pedantic.

To be completely honest, I think any of the cars you've mentioned are bad ideas. The Camry should be fine, but if your looking for a change you could buy a fun little Honda that fits right into your price range. I got my Integra for $2800, and its in amazing condition. For 2 grand, you could find a nice used Accord with 120+hp and it would last a long time.

If its something with a lot of soul you want, what about an old CRX? Or even an older VW Jetta or Golf if you can find one in good condition.

Oh i give up.

Oh i give up.

You in the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area? Sure i'll check it out, if only to see how the MR2's drive. I dont really have the funds for it now (Camaro = Money sink, but a loud fun money sink)

And by 135 horsepower, you mean 90 right? :D I've had it checked. Unless they turned up the compression on the MR2 as much as they turned it down for the camry.

Do it, the Mkii do make great daily drivers, and although i go on and on about the mki its not like the mkii was a disaster. Compared to your camry it should seem like heaven on earth :) They however can actually keep up with normal traffic (should do 0-60 in under 9 seconds, not great, but very acceptable)

All i can recommend for sure is to avoid any Mr2 with a blue interior, the black interiors looks fairly nice, but the blue ones just feel very very cheesy.

Quick Info: The 91-92 are less desirable, but still good, they seem a bit twitchy (biggest problem), but not at all impossible to conquer, the 93+ N/As are HUGELY desirable, they have unquestionably dominated the "ES" class of Autocross none-stop for the last few years, and this is up against Miatas and Old GTIs.

The good thing with any of the MR2s is that the'll teach you how to drive smoothly and enter corners properly at high speed, its a skill that carries over to any other car very easily, and once you've owned a mid-engined car you'll forever wish you could get the same traction on your FR rides. + all the Mr2s ever made have been extremely safe for their size, the mkii in particular.

Last edited:
I would never buy a honda car (motorcycle, yes, car no) with my own money, with the notable exceptions of the integra and S2000. I really dont think they are very good cars at all.

Take gas mileage out of the equation, i don't care how fuel-economical it is, just ease and cost of repair, reliability, and that untangible "soul" that i think a big square caddy has in spades.

I would go for the MR2, but if you want a yank tank get a Crown Vic, or B-Body (in the case of the Fleetwood 93-96).

I love Crown Vix, but are you seriously suggesting them as a "Economy" car? With that said it is undeniable that you could pick a good one up for cheap with all the X-cop cars around.

I love Crown Vix, but are you seriously suggesting them as a "Economy" car? With that said it is undeniable that you could pick a good one up for cheap with all the X-cop cars around.

Take gas mileage out of the equation, i don't care how fuel-economical it is, just ease and cost of repair, reliability, and that untangible "soul" that i think a big square caddy has in spades.

I would go for the MR2

1985-1989 Toyota MR2 FTW. :mrgreen: If you don't know how to take corners this will teach you very quickly. No driver aids--unless you count tires and a steering wheel. :lol: :mrgreen: