• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

France seeks to rewrite history?

I hate it when these kind of things happen.

Nationalism is good up to an extent. Fogging up and skewing past history should not be part of it. In an ideal world, history should be taught objectively. Who cares if your country was embarassed half a century ago? Even the Roman Empire imploded onto itself!

This reminds me of the dispute over Japanese textbooks. The problem over there is that many politicians are still from the WW2 years so they will not budge. For those who don't know, the Japanese were guilty of Nazi-style brainwashing of its citizens. We were supposedly the superior nation in Asia.
 
Didn't you know that France won WWII all by itself? They pwned the Germans and Japs so hard that Germany nearly became a part of France.
 
Sad, very sad that those in power in France can't address this issue and face up to history.
 
Z Draci said:
I hate it when these kind of things happen.

Nationalism is good up to an extent. Fogging up and skewing past history should not be part of it. In an ideal world, history should be taught objectively. Who cares if your country was embarassed half a century ago? Even the Roman Empire imploded onto itself!

This reminds me of the dispute over Japanese textbooks. The problem over there is that many politicians are still from the WW2 years so they will not budge. For those who don't know, the Japanese were guilty of Nazi-style brainwashing of its citizens. We were supposedly the superior nation in Asia.


The US history books actually change as you go up through the grades. They start out with a happy go lucky history, and by the time you graduate High School, everyones either dead or a bastard.

I think that a country needs to teach its good sides and bad sides. What they are trying to cover up is directly related to what is going on in France right now! If they don't wish for their children to repeat their mistakes, they must learn from them. They must know what their parents did, and what became of it, so that they may know how to make the right decisions. Why do you think the US military teaches the mistakes of Vietnam? It's so its future commanders don't repeat them.
 
I wonder what the french books are going to say about their time in Indochina.
:lol:
 
Wow. This reminds me of a guy I knew back in high school. He was from Texas, and we were asking him if they were taught about slavery in school.

Apparently, they do. Except they are taught that the slaves "weren't theirs, they were borrowed from the British! So it was really British slavery all along."

:thumbsdown: :bangin:
 
Olds442 said:
I wonder what the french books are going to say about their time in Indochina.
:lol:

They were invited, punch was served, check with indochina

:p
 
Meh, just about every country does this type of thing.
For example I don't remember hearing much in history class about the role of the Dutch in Indonesia, or in the slave trade, or the treatment of Jews during WWII.
Not that the Netherlands is the evil empire or anything like that. :p
 
Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
Anything is better than ten years of Canadian history (which is about nothing).

Well, technically didn't the canadians burn down the white house?
 
Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
Anything is better than ten years of Canadian history (which is about nothing).

Meh, I'd much rather have our short and altogether positive history than France's long and tarnished one. At least the world doesn't see us as flag-waving surrender monkeys.
 
BerserkerCatSplat said:
Wow. This reminds me of a guy I knew back in high school. He was from Texas, and we were asking him if they were taught about slavery in school.

Apparently, they do. Except they are taught that the slaves "weren't theirs, they were borrowed from the British! So it was really British slavery all along."

:thumbsdown: :bangin:
Well that's just Texas. Texas is... well... Texas.
 
Viper007Bond said:
BerserkerCatSplat said:
Wow. This reminds me of a guy I knew back in high school. He was from Texas, and we were asking him if they were taught about slavery in school.

Apparently, they do. Except they are taught that the slaves "weren't theirs, they were borrowed from the British! So it was really British slavery all along."

:thumbsdown: :bangin:
Well that's just Texas. Texas is... well... Texas.

Yeah, Texas really can't be relied upon for an accurate accounting of US teachings. Even though I do admit in my history classes, we did spent a lot of time talking about the American accomplishments and just a few days talking about the civil war, and vietnam. I took mostly world history classes anyway, because 20th century world history is much more interesting than 400 or so years of US History.
 
In school we spent quite a long time on the civil war, Vietnam, Civil rights, etc. I don't recall it ever being cleaned up or anything. Most of my teachers were very neutral and would answer any question to the best of thier knowledge. There was one teacher who fought in Vietnam that had quite a bit to say about Nixon, Kennedy, the war, etc. but his slide show of Vietnam was interesting, heh.
 
Top