• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

France to sell off motorways

Overheat

Forum Addict
french-traffic.jpg

France's state-run motorway system, one of the freest-moving highway networks in Europe, is up for sale: the French government is assessing bids from private companies to take over the tolled sections, or peages. The state has controlling stakes in France's three large operators, Autoroutes du Sud de la France (ASF), Autoroutes Paris-Rhin-Rhone (APRR) and Societe des Autoroutes du Nord et de l'Est de la France (Sanef), but is looking to offload its shares in a 12billion euro sell-off. Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin is said to be concerned about foreign investors taking control of these companies, but is thought to be under pressure from modernisers in his government who are keen for France to liberalise its traditionally protective trade laws in a similar way to privatisation in the UK, as well as to raise money to improve other infrastructure and to reduce France's 1,060billion national debt. (The Times).

Seems rather un-French. :?

Private roads in Canada (Toronto) tend to be quite expensive, pricing them high enough so that they are fairly open. They're nice if you have money, because even police have to pay to travel it (so no speed traps).

Maybe Pepsi or some other company will buy them and paint a bunch of Pepsi signs on the asphalt. :lol:

mpulztracker said:
Xeon SX said:
I hope new owner will make them German-like...

..heh heh but only a a few autobahns have no speed limits. The rest do have a limit.... :| ..

still good enough for me... some place where there is no speed limit :D. better than where all of us live where all the roads have speed limits

andyhui01 said:
mpulztracker said:
Xeon SX said:

..heh heh but only a a few autobahns have no speed limits. The rest do have a limit.... :| ..

still good enough for me... some place where there is no speed limit :D. better than where all of us live where all the roads have speed limits

Exactly. 8)

bihus said:
andyhui01 said:
mpulztracker said:
Xeon SX said:

Exactly. 8)
To quote Richard Hammond: "Then what's the point of Germany then?" :lol:

Other then the money the government will make whats the point behind this?
In Australia we have quite a number of priate own roads, but all of these are done before the road is built.
Its basically, you build this really big expencive road and then you can put a toll on for 10 years.

Just like http://www.crosscity.com.au which is due to open soon, It basically links the east and the west of the center of sydney, the bill was picked up local developers and they are going to charge $3.70 each way just to use it.

Hell I would pay to be able to travel without the police enforcing a 65mph limit like they do here. UK may have speed cams, but they can drive 70 or 75 without breaking the law technically...

I didn't even know something like "private roads" existed. As seen with the Britisch railways, privating transport-stuff isn't always a good solution. Some things shouldn't make profit.

CyberMonkey said:
I didn't even know something like "private roads" existed. As seen with the Britisch railways, privating transport-stuff isn't always a good solution. Some things shouldn't make profit.
The chance to make profit = the desire and motivation to make it the best there is.

Ever heard of a "sense of ownership?" Ever wonder why private charities do so much better than government welfare programs, even though they have budgets that are a tiny fraction of the State's big-spending? How about private schools, which, in America, is trusted by the majority of public schoolteachers to teach their own children?

Government-funded operations are motivated by failure. You never get government funding by doing something right. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease," to put it in clich?d terms.

Dr. Woo said:
CyberMonkey said:
The chance to make profit = the desire and motivation to make it the best there is.

I agree with the theory - but I live in a city that has a privately operated toll tunnel... that leaks water :x

The theory's sound, but it seems in practice the private companies always seem to drop the ball - especially if there's no real alternative for consumers and it becomes like a monopoly - there's no motivation to improve the 'product'

fbc said:
Dr. Woo said:
CyberMonkey said:

I agree with the theory - but I live in a city that has a privately operated toll tunnel... that leaks water :x

The theory's sound, but it seems in practice the private companies always seem to drop the ball - especially if there's no real alternative for consumers and it becomes like a monopoly - there's no motivation to improve the 'product'
Always? Again, let me cite private schools as an example. Want to know why there's no monopoly and so much competition? Because the government has left it completely up to the private industry to do what they want in that particular market. So many choices!

I'm personally really on the fence about roadways, though. I think that there are SO many other things that the government should privatize (schools, many regulatory firms like the FDA, Social Security) that when the spending from these is completely transferred out of the State's hands, they'll have plenty to work with to make better roads and manage the upkeep.

But here's the point: Government regulation, in 99% of situations, results in less innovation and greater dilapidation than private industries motivated by the free market. Perfect example: Soviet Union vs. United States. In one, there was unprecedented growth in private industries and standard of living. In the other, there was unprecedented pain, suffering, and misery, coupled with advances in government-regulated programs by siphoning money from the same pained and miserable people it was meant to "help."

what if a car company bought the roads and allowed their brand on it for free?

i think THAT would make money over time

My point, therefore, is thus: It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. If it is a rousing success, hopefully other countries will follow France's example. If it's a staggering failure, then oh well...there are just some things the private industry can't do. That's why we have governments.