Frank Miller's "300"

Alright...So I watched this last night. One hour before the movie started, there were long lines outside of the theater. There isn't much to say other than the movie was damn good, the look and feel was beautiful.

I didn't know the ancient bearded Spartans
used to have shaved chest.

I believe the movie and source material took some liberties in telling the story. If you walk away from the movie wondering about shaved chests, that would be really bizarre considering the other treats in the movies.

It is told like a legend would be told. The enemies become bigger than life, monsters are added, etc. It has almost zero historical value but it was one of the best looking movies I have seen.

I haven't seen the movie, I've only read the graphic novel.

I noticed in the promo material that the actors
all have shaved chest, like in some perfume commercial or something.
It's not very important, but that's the sort of thing which
makes some movies age badly.

Like a lot of movies which were 'so cool' a few years ago
now seem ridiculous because of some details like that.

Once the initial shock & awe of the impressive visuals fades,
you've got almost nothing left. Remember the onslaught of matrix-lookalikes
during the early 2000's ?

I sincerely hope this film doesn't turn out to be one of 'those'.

SuperStalin,

I can guarantee that this movie won't be a matrix lookalike.

What are you, a girl?

I become one once I spend around $10 to watch a few people fight for 2 hours straight.:p I heard that it was mostly cool actions sequences with little else, I still want to see it though.

I become one once I spend around $10 to watch a few people fight for 2 hours straight.:p I heard that it was mostly cool actions sequences with little else, I still want to see it though.
You're in luck, it's 300000 people fighting for 2 hours straight! It's a great movie, and I agree with jetsetter, it's exactly as a legend would be told. Everything is how a child would imagine the story of a battle like this. Their depiction of every detail was immaculate. I'd highly recommend this movie to anyone; bearing in mind the insanely gratuitous violence.

The movie was the epitome of badass-ness. although the character development was a bit meh, the action more than makes up for it.

This was definately one hell of a movie. I saw it Friday night with two of my friends. Granted there were a couple of historical innacuracies, but unless you're one of those who are bothered by such trivial things, they're not enough to ruin a movie.

Definately going to have to see this movie again!

This was definately one hell of a movie. I saw it Friday night with two of my friends. Granted there were a couple of historical innacuracies, but unless you're one of those who are bothered by such trivial things, they're not enough to ruin a movie.

Definately going to have to see this movie again!

The whole movie was basically a historical inaccuracy but it was good for what it is meant to be.

How faithfull was it to the source material? (i.e. Frank Millers story). I think that's more important than history.

saw it 2 days ago

good movie :p, lots of eye candy

How faithfull was it to the source material? (i.e. Frank Millers story). I think that's more important than history.

I have the graphic novel. The movie is pretty much exactly the same as the source material. Most of the badass lines come directly from the book.

Edit: Seen it twice, thought it was fuckin' awesome!

Not bad I thought, it definitely was epic as any legend should be and I think the movie successfully accomplished that. The characters were memorable, espeically Xerxes whose image was completely different from what I expected. Handel operas aren't really a good source of information...he just seemed like a nice tree loving dude in the opera. At least the movie gave him a very exotic harem and nice jewelry.

You'd be surprised at how many girls will go to see the movie. 300 equally (very) toned and scantily clad men in a large group is enough to bring your girlfriend out hehehe

This movie blowed. It was just kinda full of itself, 1hour and 50 minutes of fighting and a few minutes of awful dialog. I don't know why they even bothered having half-assed subplots, they might've been better off just having the whole movie being a battle scene. And except for the first 15 minutes or so, the music was terrible.

It was entertaining though.

Last edited:
I believe the movie and source material took some liberties in telling the story. If you walk away from the movie wondering about shaved chests, that would be really bizarre considering the other treats in the movies.
people like that always have to nitpick about some bullshit technicaly inaccuracy as if every film ever made was a fucking documentary. When the animated movie Antz came out there were scientists who released a press statement against the movie because they were depicted as having 4 limbs instead of 6. Never you mind the fact that they fucking talked and it was a fucking CARTOON!

It's fiction people, embellishment, it's for entertainment, not for education:rolleyes: