Frank Miller's "300"

If you can, go see this movie in Imax. A fucking experience I tell ya.

From my LIMITED understanding (a single college course in Greek History) - it DID have some historical value.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

A lot of the lines are actual spartan maxims (with your shield or on it, and may you live forever) - the Spartan costumes are dead-on from my understanding. Early historians would imbelish and exaggerate, eg. Homer talking about the Trojan war, and this seems to reflect how they would have told it. How far is this off Herodutus' description? (other than the scale of the badassness, the beasts, and the ornateness of Xerxes)

I saw a review which compared this disfavorbly to Gladiator (Which I call Russel Crowe Shamless Oscar grab 1 out of 4) which I think is just bogus - as if Commodus killed Marcus Aurerilus - yeah right.

I respect contrary opinions - but I loved the movie. The music I admit was an acquired taste, and the subplots made the pacing odd, but in total I thought it was beautiful, epic, pacted with content to think about, bold and novel.

Last edited:
This movie blowed. It was just kinda full of itself, 1hour and 50 minutes of fighting and a few minutes of awful dialog. I don't know why they even bothered having half-assed subplots, they might've been better off just having the whole movie being a battle scene. And except for the first 15 minutes or so, the music was terrible.

It was entertaining though.

I believe the term is "blew", but "blew" it certainly did not.
I have a question regarding the theme played at the end when the credits were rolling though. Is that song the same one that was in Gladiator? It sounded very familiar, though I haven't seen Gladiator for a long time and I don't have a copy on hand.

I just saw it last night. It was good, but I hated the whole redundant Spartan Queen subplot and specially the fact that Frank Miller doesn't seem to understand that cinema and comics, while very similar, are two different media. Oh, and I also wish Frank Miller would have kept for himself all those freaks and those Moria orcs he's made fight alongside Xerxes. There really was no need for that.

Guys, the movie was allegorical. Stop taking it so seriously. It's a movie based on a comic book based on a legend of a battle that took place ages ago between two empires that no longer exists. Of course there will be distortions and events that could not have possibly occurred the way they are portrayed, but that's not the point. The point is the story.

^Thank you for taking the time to explain it, something I couldn't bother to do.
Anyway, can't wait for the release here! Next fryday!

I believe the term is "blew", but "blew" it certainly did not.
I have a question regarding the theme played at the end when the credits were rolling though. Is that song the same one that was in Gladiator? It sounded very familiar, though I haven't seen Gladiator for a long time and I don't have a copy on hand.
I wrote sucked first and then changed it to blowed, i know it should have been blew but it didn't have the kick I was looking for.

@Blind_Io: Where were the Thespians? They played a very large role in the real battle if I'm not mistaken, they even refused to leave at the final battle just like the Spartans. And they made the Arcadians look like bumbling idiots. But mostly, I didn't mind the fact that there were many, many unrealistic aspects to the movie. What annoyed me was that none of those things enhanced the movie whatsoever for me. Take, for example the elephants and that huge rhino. Two things that were completely missing in real life. I assumed there would be some cool battle scenes with those animals added in. Nope. The rhino died with one spear throw by that asshole who's too much of a man to even flinch at a several ton rhino barreling down at him. And the elephants just fell of a cliff because "they were clumsy". Seriously WTF was the point of even having those scenes in the movie?

Gladiator was a "historically-based" movie that probably had tons and tons of errors. The difference between Gladiator and 300 is Gladiator had a story, and a good story too. Not some worthless subplots added onto an on-going battle.

Once again, el Barto, it was accurate to Frank Miller's graphic novel, not the actual battle. If anything you should gripe about how inaccurate the graphic novel was, and when was the last time a comic book/graphic novel was held to such high historical accuracy? This isn't a Discovery Channel documentary, the rhinos and war elephants were just cool and badass, so Frank Miller drew them, so Zac Snyder directed them in. Though I did wonder at that too, I can't imagine those being the easiest things to take down...

Cosworth, did the gf enjoy the shirtless ripped dudes like most girls that I know who went to seeit? :p

Once again, el Barto, it was accurate to Frank Miller's graphic novel, not the actual battle. If anything you should gripe about how inaccurate the graphic novel was, and when was the last time a comic book/graphic novel was held to such high historical accuracy? This isn't a Discovery Channel documentary, the rhinos and war elephants were just cool and badass, so Frank Miller drew them, so Zac Snyder directed them in. Though I did wonder at that too, I can't imagine those being the easiest things to take down...

Cosworth, did the gf enjoy the shirtless ripped dudes like most girls that I know who went to seeit? :p

Here is what I wrote:
@Blind_Io: Where were the Thespians? They played a very large role in the real battle if I'm not mistaken, they even refused to leave at the final battle just like the Spartans. And they made the Arcadians look like bumbling idiots. But mostly, I didn't mind the fact that there were many, many unrealistic aspects to the movie. What annoyed me was that none of those things enhanced the movie whatsoever for me. Take, for example the elephants and that huge rhino. Two things that were completely missing in real life. I assumed there would be some cool battle scenes with those animals added in. Nope. The rhino died with one spear throw by that asshole who's too much of a man to even flinch at a several ton rhino barreling down at him. And the elephants just fell of a cliff because "they were clumsy". Seriously WTF was the point of even having those scenes in the movie?

Gladiator was a "historically-based" movie that probably had tons and tons of errors. The difference between Gladiator and 300 is Gladiator had a story, and a good story too. Not some worthless subplots added onto an on-going battle.

Again, my main problem wasn't the fact that it was inaccurate. The problem is that it's just a bad movie :D . The inaccuracies were just a mild annoyance. Sure the film looked cool and all, but the storyline was shit, the dialog was shit, and the subplots were laughably bad.

Well, it's a God-given right that once in a while you can go into a movie theater and put aside all expectations of a beautifully weaved plotline and ongoing and moving character development supported by witty, well-composed dialogue, and just see a bunch of shirtless dudes tearing people's legs off. :tease:

i would like to point out that other than the deformed traitor and the rinos and elephants none of the other fantasy bad guys are in the graphic novel.

Again, my main problem wasn't the fact that it was inaccurate. The problem is that it's just a bad movie :D . The inaccuracies were just a mild annoyance. Sure the film looked cool and all, but the storyline was shit, the dialog was shit, and the subplots were laughably bad.

I won't go as far as to say it was a bad movie, but certainly the battles, the effects and the general badassness of the Spartans couldn't make up for the film's shortcomings. The Queen subplot slowed the pace of the story to a crawl, which is probably why it wasn't in the original graphic novel. But there are other issues, main of which is the fact that the movie is conceived and told as if it were a graphic novel. It's not a graphic novel, it's a movie. And this is probably what bothers me the most about it. It's the same mistake they made in Sin City, and it turns what should have been a great movie, into a mediocre movie at best. All in all I liked the end result, but there were moments of... WTF? And that's not good, I think.

Just saw this... I do believe that the movie contains a decades worth of testosterone (calcualtions based on average production per one man). AND I enjoyd it!

The movie was beautiful to look at, great scenes. I knew not to expect too much (plot wise etc.) so I was able to look at is just as an entertaining movie, and that it was indeedy! Highly recommend it to anyone, who thinks they can handle all the male hormone.

I just saw it. It was awesome.

spartaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The usual Frank Miller film. Tasty looking, but of little nutritional value. Worth seeing for one reason though. You know what it is.

The usual Frank Miller film. Tasty looking, but of little nutritional value. Worth seeing for one reason though. You know what it is.
There's 300 muscular, sweaty dudes in little clothing?

Er, I mean...

If that's what turns you on, then yes, but i meant Spartaaaa