Frankfurt Motor Show: Citroen C-SportLounge, C6, C3

Overheat

Forum Addict
citroen-c-sportlounge.jpg
05-r3q-st.jpg

Citroen is previewing its successor to the Xsara Picasso compact MPV with its C4-based C-SportLounge concept. Egg-shaped but with sporting styling details, it has a 2+2 cabin - which will take at least five in the production car - with an aeroplane-style cockpit featuring a roof-mounted start button, touch-screen controls in the front doors for telecommunications and navigation equipment, and LED lighting. Access to the bronze leather-upholstered cabin is via clamshell-style 'suicide' doors, which are also unlikely to make production. On the outside, the C-SportLounge lives up to part of its name with 20-inch alloys, a very aerodynamic profile, an aerofoil rear spoiler and air ducts on both sides of its front bumper. It's very much a showpiece rather than a drivable prototype, but Citroen suggests that it could be powered by either petrol or diesel engines giving up to 200bhp, combined with a paddle-shift six-speed clutchless gearbox.

Nearer to production is the C6 saloon, which will cost from around ?29,500 when Citroen has another punt at the executive sector early next year. Three specification levels will be offered, C6, C6 Lignage and C6 Exclusive; Lignage models will start from around ?31,500, and the Exclusive is going to be a rather eye-watering ?38,400 with the range-topping 2.7-litre V6 diesel engine (as also used in the Jaguar XJ). Besides the V6 diesel, a 215bhp 3.0-litre V6 petrol unit will also be on offer; both engines will come with a six-speed automatic gearbox.

Whilst nigh-on ?40K sounds a lot to pay for a Citroen, the company claims that the C6 is in the tradition of its stylish, comfortable large models of the past, citing the DS, CX, Light 15 "Traction Avant" and the C6 of the 1920s (we'll forget about the XM, then). The C6 will also have a high specification level, with a head-up display, a pedestrian-friendly 'active' bonnet which pops up to minimise injury in an impact, hydropneumatic suspension with electronically-controlled springs and dampers, speed-sensitive air deflector and laminated side windows all to be standard-fit in most models. All models will have nine airbags, electrically-adjustable front seats, an MP3-equipped audio system with colour screen, alloy wheels, dual-zone air conditioning, an electric push-button parking brake, front and rear parking sensors, directional xenon headlamps and auto headlamps and wipers, and a six-CD autochanger with colour sat nav, voice controls and a hands-free phone kit will also be offered. Exclusive versions will gain leather seats, wood and chrome trim and Citroen's Lane Departure Warning system, as offered in the latest C5 and C4. And it's predictable that, if not in the first months from launch, once the C6 goes on sale Citroen will run a series of offers and incentives to further entice buyers.

Also new for 2006 are revised versions of the C3 supermini. These have received a more prominent front bumper and re-positioned numberplate, new taillights, and new alloy wheel/wheel trim options. The dashboard and instruments have been restyled, with higher-quality trim and updated detailing. The 1.6 HDI diesel engine (110bhp) has also been added to the range; this returns nearly 63mpg and just 120g/km of carbon dioxide, and its 'overboost' feature gives an extra spurt of torque for short bursts of acceleration.

Similar interior upgrades have been made to the C3 Pluriel and the C2. The C2 range will also be offered with the fuel-saving Stop-Start technology already available in the C3 with the 1.4 90bhp petrol engine and SensoDrive clutchless gearbox.

The C-SportLounge is the coolest thing to be released this year. The C6 is the most peculiar...I dont like it, it looks weird. James May likes it though - Watch it flop!

:love: :love: Citroen big saloons :love: :love:

XM is the best car we had!

Unfortunately, we didn't get to drive much in it ... It spent more time being repaired than in our garage :p

Anybody else thinks the C6's rear end looks vaguely like the last-gen Audi A6?

I've stated before how much I love the C-Sport Concept but oh boy, I'm now in love with ANOTHER Citroen, the C6!. If it had German build quality and German engineering it'd be fantastic... But it is French and as such will be heavy, underpowered and being serviced every 5000km.

watto said:
I've stated before how much I love the C-Sport Concept but oh boy, I'm now in love with ANOTHER Citroen, the C6!. If it had German build quality and German engineering it'd be fantastic... But it is French and as such will be heavy, underpowered and being serviced every 5000km.

3.0 V6 petrol and 2.7 V6 HDi are hardly underpowered for a luxury cruiser. And somehow I really can't imagine C6 being even remotely related to sport - even if it had a 500hp engine.

I agree on the service though :thumbsdown:

DJ said:
watto said:

3.0 V6 petrol and 2.7 V6 HDi are hardly underpowered for a luxury cruiser. And somehow I really can't imagine C6 being even remotely related to sport - even if it had a 500hp engine.

I agree on the service though :thumbsdown:

Here's how I see it with the engines.

France:
Peugeot 607 3.0 V6
155kW (207hp)

Germany:
Audi 3.2 FSI A6
188 kW (252hp)
BMW 530i
190kW (254hp)

If the French want to compete with the A6 and the 5 Series, they need to develop more powerful engines. I mean seriously, 155kW pulling a 1644kg car? You must be joking! There is no doubt in my mind that the C6 will be very similar in weight and output to the 607 which is why, as James May said, "Watch it flop"

I love the concave rear mirror on the C6. It's quirky, but it's kinda cool. The Sportlounge is just flat out cool, how excellent does it look? Roof mounted start button would get old very quickly if i had to reach up to the roof to start it everytime I think...