• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Frankfurt Motor Show: Porsche Cayman S

Overheat

Forum Addict
05-s-s.jpg

Porsche disappointed many a show-goer by failing to pull the Panamera - or at least, a concept car previewing it - out of the bag, but the Cayman S coupe is exciting enough. Fitted with a new 3.4-litre, 291bhp (217kW) six-cylinder 'boxer' engine it is to go on sale in November priced from ?43,930.

Developed from other Boxster engines, the new unit features VarioCam Plus variable cam control and timing, a technology which increases torque at low engine speeds; this was previously only available on 911 engines. The 3.4 develops 251lb ft of torque and drives through a standard-fit six-speed manual transmission, with Tiptronic S auto available as an option; both are developed from Boxster S units. Porsche claims that the Cayman will top 171mph and, with manual transmission, sprint from 0-62mph in 5.4 seconds.

The Cayman S, which shares its platform with the mid-engined Boxster roadster, has a 260-litre luggage compartment underneath its rear hatch, as well as 150 litres of space in the nose. 18-inch alloy wheels come as standard, along with a full leather interior. Like the Boxster S, it also gets a twin, centre-mounted exhaust and an automatically rising rear spoiler.

In keeping with Porsche's current naming policy, the S will probably also be joined later by a lower-powered version of the car, badged simply 'Cayman', which may feature the Boxster S's 3.2-litre, 276bhp engine. There's no word on a 'Turbo' version, but given that it would almost certainly impinge on the standard, 321bhp 911's territory, we think it's unlikely.

some Porsche nuts see the 911 strictly going turbo GT3 and GT2 (all well over $100,000) and the base 911 dropped in favor of a turbo'ed Cayman. Porsche really likes the mid-engined cars, and has been happy with the sales of the boxster.

Personally, i think the sedan will (again, for what, the 4th time?) be thought out planned and dropped.

i so love that car

it's way hotter than any car porsche is building today :drool:

bone said:
i so love that car

it's way hotter than any car porsche is building today :drool:

I really like it a lot, but don't forget Porsche is building the Carrera GT, and the old GT3. And the GT3 RS. And the Turbo. And the GT2.

GT2 is a Turbo without 4wd and with a power hike to 463, and now 483)
GT3 is a tuned Carrera 2. More power (360 in '99, 381 in '02), better suspension, and the mk1 is regarded by some as the best one ever.
GT3 RS is a lighter GT3, track-biased.
The Turbo has 420 and the Turbo S 450 (and 620Nm). Basically a Turbo with the Power Kit, but with standard PCCB (ceramic brakes).

but is there a GT2, GT3(RS) for every model (996, 997, ...) porsche made? or did they just once designed one, and are still producing the same model?

jensked said:
Speaking of the GT2, GT3 and the GT3RS, what's the difference between those beauties?

the GT3 is an NA car with a high (8000+ RPM) redline around 380 hp

the GT2 is a turbo charged around 480 hp

the GT3 RS/R is a much lightened GT3 that comes with roll cage, no back seat, no sound proofing, etc. standard PCCB brake discs, lightened flywheel ( -20 lbs) etc

all three cars are based on the same body and similar but much differently tuned suspension setup, the GT3 and GT2 just having a turbo'ed vs. NA engine, and the RS/RSR losing a lot of weight.

on the track the Gt2 has become known as a widow maker, as it requires much more finesse and touch from a driver because of the turbo, on the opposite hand, the high revving NA engine in the GT3 allows smashing on the gas coming out of turns and a more brutal approach. overall, the GT2 with a good driver is much quicker on the track than the GT3

personally, i am hoping this will be mine come oct 2005... ---> :thumbsup:

http://www21.porsche.com/all/transitional/usa/clubs/pca/50thanniversary/default.asp

already entered in the sweepstakes, and have all my fingers crossed.

anywho, this is a Gt2 in action Larry owns a GT3, and he is driving Mark's GT2 at one of our PCA regions track events @ Watkins Glen- >
http://www.streamload.com/LarryHerman/Larry_Herman_drives_-_Mark_rides_7-05_Glen.wmv

bone said:
but is there a GT2, GT3(RS) for every model (996, 997, ...) porsche made? or did they just once designed one, and are still producing the same model?

the GT2 GT3 and RS/RSR versions are very limited production vehicles, i believe only a few hundred of each body style were made (964 993 996 and (hopefully) 997).

Also, as of now, i believe the GT3 is still a dry sump (993 based) engine. the 996 engine lost the dry sump, and many club racers are hoping Porsche continues the development of the dry sump GT3 engine for their racing needs.

jensked said:

Yeah, that's why I said a "Turbo without 4wd". And they both have a widebody.

jensked said:

I'm crossing my fingers for you to get that 50th anniversary 911...
I own my own 50th anniversary too: a Fender 50th anniversary Stratocaster guitar 8)

FYI, i believe the GT2 is not for sale anymore (other than some dealers having one on the lot) and the 997 GT3 is for sale outside the US, with a base 400 hp @ 8500 RPM

the newest form of the RS/RSR is the 996 based GT3 RSR with 455 NA horsepower from the 3.6 liter dry sump engine (a newer generation of the older, yet loved 993 engine)

both current models of the GT3's are sold as a "Cup" car, and are not road legal.

*Pulling the discussion back to Cayman* :)

I haven't noticed it before but it does look like a cayman. Tall head and long nose. I think it's very clever name they've come up with!
But still the side profile is iggy, it look great from any other angle but from side ... Nah I don't know it just does look odd.

The best angle is from rear, I mean those shoulders are dead hot!

I only like Carrera GT from all porsches. 911s are OK but there are many other alternatives in this class.

Wheels Mag: Porsche Cayman S driven!

Wheels Mag: Porsche Cayman S driven!

This is out of the latest Wheels... If I had the money, this would be my daily driver and a Turbo S my weekend car :p

http://img376.imageshack.**/img376/5448/untitled105ta.th.jpg http://img376.imageshack.**/img376/4008/untitled117sf.th.jpg http://img357.imageshack.**/img357/675/untitled139mf.th.jpg http://img357.imageshack.**/img357/1962/untitled148wm.th.jpg

the cayman has been judged by a few that have driven it as the best handling production porsche ever.

i cannot wait to see it hit the market hard, and see aftermarket tuners (Ruf please) knockup the engine with a turbo or sc and get another 100 or more hp from it :thumbsup:

fbc said:
I still don't think it looks right from the rear three-quarter angle

Hey, mk1 MR2 doesn't, either, and and that doens't stop it being fun.
And I have a feeling this one will be epic...

bihus said:
fbc said:
I still don't think it looks right from the rear three-quarter angle

Hey, mk1 MR2 doesn't, either, and and that doens't stop it being fun.
And I have a feeling this one will be epic...

You're absolutely right (remember, I do refer to my car as having origami styling) - it would be an amazing thing to drive. I'm just a bit suprised Porsche styled a coupe that looks a bit awkward at the rear (but then they did the Cayenne too...).