News: Frankfurt show: Ford heads upmarket with Vignale

Paul_The_Aussie

Car(s)
Ford Focus XR5T
FORD has signalled its intention to take the Mondeo ? and other models ? upmarket with the unveiling of a premium Vignale concept at the Frankfurt motor show this week.

In a move that could be significant for Ford Australia as it prepares to discontinue the Falcon in 2016 and rely instead on the European-sourced Mondeo as its flagship passenger car, the Vignale version will offer styling enhancements and more features than the current range-topping Titanium variant.

Developed along similar lines to Citroen?s DS cars and, potentially, Renault?s mooted Initiale Paris series (the latter previewed with a people-mover concept at Frankfurt), Vignale looks set to be positioned as a high-end sub-brand compared to the mainstream model line.

It is believed Ford will offer variants of the Vignale ? which is also the name of an Italian coach-building company ? across a number of medium and large-sized models, with US industry journal Autonews reporting that the flagship versions will attract a 10 to 15 per cent premium over the Titanium.

Ford is reportedly expecting Vignale to account for around 10 per cent of all European sales and is hoping to attract buyers from established premium brands.

?Our vision for the Vignale product range is to deliver vehicles with true upmarket credentials,? said Ford of Europe executive design director Martin Smith.

?We wanted to create something unique for Ford, with world-class quality and craftsmanship.?

The Mondeo Vignale sedan and wagon concepts in Frankfurt feature a number of styling differences to the standard models, including a redesigned grille with honeycomb-shaped grille inserts.

Other flourishes emphasising the premium nature of the Vignale include a restyled front bumper with slimline foglights and an extension of the grille insert, chrome lines running from the lower front door and wrapping around the tail, new alloy wheels and Vignale badging above the front wheelarch.

Ford has upgraded the cabin of the Mondeo to include leather door inserts, soft-touch leather on the steering wheel, centre console, instrument panel and centre armrest, and Vignale detailing on the leather seats.

The company also plans to improve the ownership experience by offering exclusive services for Vignale customers such as service pick-up and delivery, free car washes for the life of the vehicle and invitations to Ford-sponsored events.

The fifth-generation Mondeo is expected to go on sale in Europe later this year and will arrive in Australian showrooms in the second half of 2014. It went on sale in the US, where it is sold as the Fusion, late last year.
Ford-Mondeo-Vignale-5%5B2%5D.jpg

Ford-Mondeo-Vignale-3.jpg

Ford-Mondeo-Vignale-concept-lights-on1.jpg

Ford-Mondeo-Vignale-2.jpg

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/7CED08D3DB26D8ACCA257BE40028930A#!prettyPhoto

I don't mind the look, I think it is a good idea. Like the look of the interior.

It's a posh Mondeo. Looks good, but I really don't see a market for it.

Don't like. Front end is all wrong to me.

That is because they borked the Aston front end look.

It's a Mondeo with quilted fabric all round.

Okay then.

Reminds me of the Jaaaaagg XF.
And my thought are the same as for the Mondeo...WANT!!!!

Yeah, let's try and put a Jaguar badge on a Mondeo and see how it works...

...oh no, wait, we already did that.

Pedestrian safety requirements...
Conservative blah blah. Other car makers are perfectly capable of making good-looking cars despite this regulations. As with most "OMG nanny state" complaints, it is easier to blame one's own failings on the government instead of designing better-looking cars.

3-series_cFtAK.jpg

I submit the entire current BMW range as an example of how the pedestrian safety regulations are impacting design. It's especially pronounced on the X1.

I'd be interested which current automaker in this class is making a good looking car despite the nanny-stake requirements.

I'd be interested which current automaker in this class is making a good looking car despite the nanny-stake requirements.
The Passat is not bad-looking. A bit bland, but not bad-looking. The XF Jaaag (definitly a competitor of the 5-series). More upmarket, but same size: Maserati Quattroporte.

That's just three cars I can name on top of my head. And BMW did not produce a good-looking car since the nineties, so I fail to see your point regarding them.

Style is always subjective. I was pointing out the latest trend for front bumpers to be very vertical and flat in profile.
No you didn't. You said there are no good-looking cars any more "because of the nanny state". :p

That's always the way with manufacturers when new safety regulations that impact exterior styling are enacted.

In the Seventies, 5 mph bumpers were required on all cars starting in 1974. And cars went from this

to this

Mercedes was the worst offender, styling-wise, when the regs were introduced:

Whereas Porsche - while having ugly bumpers and over riders on the 911 - did an outstanding job blending 5mph bumpers into the design of the 924 and particularly the 928.

Eventually, almost every manufacturer learned how to make better looking bumpers while still meeting the regs, and I have no doubt it will be the same once the manufacturers accept the EU safety standards and stop making excuses.

Not coming to Australia.

"Ford Australia brand communications manager Neil McDonald says the local division has no plans to launch the Vignale sub-brand here however, revealing it has been designed to specifically target European buyers."

Getting ready for a European uptick. At least it's not badged as a Jaaaaaaag.

Don't like. Front end is all wrong to me.

Looks like the front end of the North America market Fusion, which is a damn fine looking car. It doesn't translate nearly as well to photographs as it should, but in person it is easily one of the best looking cars on the road - and the best looking in it's class by a mile.