Free way to broadcast audio over the internet?

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
Dad received an email today from a company that sells you hardware and software to allow you to send out a simulcast of your racetrack PA announcements through their app.

Is there a way for me to setup something similar that would be easy and free for racers to access?

I can take a tap off the mixer board and get it into a computer.

I remember me and my friends running our own radio streams 20 odd years ago from winamp using shoutcast… having to reduce the Bitrate when an additional listener showed up because our connections bandwidth wasn’t enough to serve them all (local server and all that) 🤣
No idea whether that is still a thing though…

Edit: for the maximum in low effort solutions, you could always just have a discord voice channel 😜🙈

Last edited:
Dad received an email today from a company that sells you hardware and software to allow you to send out a simulcast of your racetrack PA announcements through their app.

Is there a way for me to setup something similar that would be easy and free for racers to access?

I can take a tap off the mixer board and get it into a computer.
What about a discord server?

Really depends on what you're aiming for. This I think is why a lot of people just use (or used to like 5-10 years ago) facebook live.

Actually, why not just use Youtube Live? I know it's typically for video stuff, I believe, but just use the logo of the racetrack or something and run an audio stream from the mixer to a USB input device like, for example a Behringer UCA202 USB-RCA adapter. It's cheap, it should do what you need for very little money.

Just don't try and do it the day of, to a dry one before hand and of course, as I just learned right now, requested to access the service?

1676576514156.png

Discord would work, if we weren't dealing with racers that have no idea what it is or how it even works.

YouTube live may be an option, maybe we could even setup a camera pointed out of a window (with no audio, so they don't hear our conversations).

I'll also read up on setting up internet radio stations.

YouTube live may be an option, maybe we could even setup a camera pointed out of a window (with no audio, so they don't hear our conversations).
Neat! Only possible snafu I can see is if they’re wanting to just listen in on the announcements they have to have yt premium or whatever it’s called or keep their screens on 😕

Re: discord, yeah I thought that might be the case… would’ve been way too easy otherwise, right?

Our local trackday provider used to use a website for the different group calls, I can't remember the name

Valid point, on YouTube. I forget that since I've had Premium for awhile now.

I'm looking at some software solutions, but maybe this place's $370 a year deal ain't so bad?

OBS software is free and will do video with audio with relative ease.

Last edited: