• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

French told to drive like British

Overheat

Forum Addict
French motorists are being told to drive more like the British during their national 'road courtesy' day today (Thursday). Britain may not be short of road rage incidents or impatient, discourteous motorists, but the French government has praised the fact that the UK has far fewer road deaths and accidents than France each year. The French road safety group AFPC said today: "with their legendary courtesy and civility and an active (accident) prevention policy since 1970, our British neighbours have the safest roads in Europe and have a mortality rate far lower than in France. It's not about converting our Latin temperament into British phlegm but rather looking at this model example to learn a few things on driver attitudes and the ingredients behind this success".

ESPNSTI said:
French cars without dents? Yah, that'll happen. :roll: (j/k) :lol:

Damn true... I'm in France ATM and it's absolutely unbelievable the amount of beaten cars.
But Milan, Italy isn't that better, and I'm sure that the furthest south in Italy, the worst it gets. If you stop in a red light, pray to not get hit. :D

bihus said:
If you stop in a red light, pray to not get hit. :D
I'm picturing the driving inbetween traffic lights scene in "Meet the Parents" here. :lol:

hehehe well speaking of Italy, you have to imagine that those in the know here call Italy with respect to driving as the "civilized" version of the Egyptian driving :D So you'll have to imagine what it's like here :lol:

^ It could be worse. You know something is wrong when you're told to take
Indian drivers as role models.

when I was in france a couple of years ago... I remember how thepark their cars... they really make use of their bumpers

v0od0o said:
hehehe well speaking of Italy, you have to imagine that those in the know here call Italy with respect to driving as the "civilized" version of the Egyptian driving :D So you'll have to imagine what it's like here :lol:
Do you have people turing left from the far right lane over there too? :lol:

andyhui01 said:
when I was in france a couple of years ago... I remember how thepark their cars... they really make use of their bumpers
I noticed that in Paris quite a bit. Cars were parked like this EVERYWHERE:

parallel%20parking.JPG

Yeah I was told by some friends about this just today, they say they dont pull up their handbrakes for the sole purpose of this.

^ :lol: so what happens when this guy wants to move his car?

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
I remember trying to cross the road in Italy. :shock:
Oh my, that's horrible. I was with my family in Rome a year ago. Lovely city, but the traffic was so horrible that I nearly couldn't enjoy the trip at all. Our guide said that when you cross the road, you must not hesitate. Just go boldly, or otherwise they will drive over you. Yea, would you like to try that? I was very afraid of trying that, but it worked. It was very shocking though, but at least I'm alive...

:lol: you guys have got to visit Egypt, you really do. We're used to that here that we don't even notice it anymore.

Dr. Woo said:
andyhui01 said:
I noticed that in Paris quite a bit. Cars were parked like this EVERYWHERE:

parallel%20parking.JPG

Those are just the vans of a shop, to save parking space..I think.

When I went to Italy with my grandfather he stopped at a pedestrian crossing in a small town with a single-lane. You should have seen the reactions of the drivers behind us. They honked like he just had commited a crime.

It was quite funny too when I went to Czechia in 1999. They had started to paint pedestrian crossings on the streets to fullfil EU regulations but virtually nobody seemed to understand their purpose. :mrgreen:

I went back to my homeland - the Philippines - in 1998 and the traffic there is unbelievable. It doesn't matter if the light is red or green, if you stop at an intersection, the people behind you will honk like mad until you drive forward. They don't really care much for road rules; they just want to get to their destination in any way possible.

My dad was pulled over once for exiting a round-a-bout. The officer didn't like the way he changed lanes so he fined us. When he found out we were visiting from Canada, he jacked up the fine! I can't remember how much the ticket was worth but my dad knew the cop just wanted money (police corruption is everywhere in the Philippines) so he negotiated with the cop and he let us go.

BTW, is Clarkson saying the truth about how crazy French and Italian drivers are (in the MTN series)? I'm guessing it has something to do with the Latin-Mediterranean lifestyle.

I live in France and there are not so much bad drivers
but the road are miserables (except autoroutes-motorway)
lots of hole and not a lot of warnings on the side of the road.

But I think that this is not the french driver which is bad but how he learn to drive.

^ I could almost hear your french accent there :lol: