Unverified Ownership Fried eggs, now or never – Porsche 911 Carrera '98

It's been a while since I've been in either of these, but 3rd gen F-Bodies and a lot of 4th gen Corvettes didn't have gloveboxes either.

Went for a drive few weeks ago, and only took my good old Canonet QL17 film camera with me.

2020_04_10–11_Canonet_QL17_FP4_Porsche_911_0011-2.jpg

Despite of the ongoing situation we're free to move around, which is very refreshing.
2020_04_10–11_Canonet_QL17_FP4_Porsche_911_00110.jpg

Local countryside was still few weeks away from turning back to green.
2020_04_10–11_Canonet_QL17_FP4_Porsche_911_00113.jpg

Totally empty roads, so much fun to just cruise around and watch the world. I love roadtrips, and I really need to take the 996 to a longish one. Just have to make sure it's in full health befo... oh, why is the rear moving around alarmingly?

2020_04_10–11_Canonet_QL17_FP4_Porsche_911_00114.jpg

Got my first ever puncture. Oh well. I haven't wrenched the 996 almost at all, oil change is the only task I've performed so far. Luckily previous mechanics didn't over tighten the wheel bolts, so I got the wheel of.
2020_04_10–11_Canonet_QL17_FP4_Porsche_911_00115.jpg

I never ever use factory jacks (it's still common to use it to swap between summer and winter wheels here, sadly), but this one did the job pretty well. There's a flat jacking point with a centering hole on the body, and the jack has a pin to match that, so it's pretty secure. It's also aluminium, but the finish is rather crude. So far the most pleasing OEM jack I've found comes in Audi A2: super light, pleasantly finishe... why the hell am I talking about factory emergency jacks here?

The emegency spare was low on pressure, but I knew a gas station only few kilometers ahead, so I crawled to there. Found the compressor, attached the hose and heard the hissing sound of pressurised air moving. I did what we do in this age, and checked my phone while waiting the pressure to rise from 2 bar to 4.2 or so, which is the factory spec for the spare.

In the middle of my Instagram browsing I realised that the compressor hadn't started yet. Next thing I paid attention was my completely flat spare tire: yeah, the compressor had been disconnected and I had just emptied all remaining pressure from my spare into atmosphere. Bye bye last possible OEM air molecules!
2020_04_10–11_Canonet_QL17_FP4_Porsche_911_00118.jpg

Of course at this point we got a sudden snow fall to cheer me up. Everything was closed, as it was national holiday. Luckily through friend local garage came to rescue, we patched the original tire and I was back on the road mere 45 minutes after. I owe them plenty of beer.

Lesson learnt: instead of always making a point about checking the spare wheel pressure, actually do it.

After that the brief blizzard cleared, and I had a drive through perfect sunset. At this point I slightly missed having color film.
2020_04_10–11_Canonet_QL17_FP4_Porsche_911_001131.jpg

These were shot on Ilford FP4+, which I managed to overexpose enough to get slightly grainy results.

2020_04_10–11_Canonet_QL17_FP4_Porsche_911_001127.jpg

After brief black and white sunset photo session it was time to head home. Quite an adventure for a brief after midday drive.
2020_04_10–11_Canonet_QL17_FP4_Porsche_911_00123.jpg

Love the film shots! Now you have an excuse to carry three film cameras to get some color shots.

The deflated spare mid-snow fall shot was adequately depressing ??

Reminds me that the most fun roadtrips to talk about are not the ones where everything goes smoothly.

Yeah my plan was to load one film and shoot it during my drive. I love black and white (and BW makes the gas station shot), but this time color would've been the best. Or I could've brought my DSLR, but that often leads to too serious photography. Film is nice, you plan ahead, frame carefully and take the shot. You have to forget it, as there's no other way: you just have to wait until you develop the roll.