Fuel prices in your country

I filled my Explorer with 87 for 2.94/gal last week, and I think prices are lower than that now.
Course it still only manages 12mpg so it's damn expensive.

Stop your whining, that's cheap! Only I get to whine because I pay more than you! :p
Whats up with the weird currency you're using? It sounds a bit like Italy back when they had the lire, how much is a Bigmac? 800 ISK? You guys are rich! :lol:

i'm not whining the ones who don't get to whine is americans

I was just saying what fuel costs in iceland

Even within the US there is a lot of variation. States with higher tax pay higher prices, for example. Still, our prices are relatively low, so I try not to complain. Especially now... I can find under $3.00 per gallon in places that were once over $4.

i'm not whining the ones who don't get to whine is americans

I was just saying what fuel costs in iceland
Woah there I didnt mean to insult you, I'm just teasing. :) It's not that much cheaper for you anyway now it seems (last I converted the difference was more, it seems the ISK is bouncing around alot). No hard feelings :cool:

What is the difference between Benzin and Super? In Australia Super was always the term for Leaded fuel, which no longer exists. The other meaning could be super as in better, but if that was the case, why is it the same price?

Super has a higher octane rating.

As of about one year ago super has been the same price as regular. Before that, as long as I can remember, super was a couple cent more expensive. There were theories that the gas stations are doing that in order to slowly phase out regular (by claiming that nobody is buying it anymore), but so far no such thing has happened.... it's strange.

Yup. Benzin is 91 octane, Super is 95, Super Plus is 98.

As to why Benzin (= regular) hasn't disappeared yet: a random sample test has shown that 60% of petrol stations already sell premium fuel as regular. The customer won't notice, the price is the same, easier for the supplier.

EDIT:
so much for ever-falling prices:

yesterday:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/10/13/sprit.PNG

today:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/10/14/spritneu.PNG

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Super has a higher octane rating.

As of about one year ago super has been the same price as regular. Before that, as long as I can remember, super was a couple cent more expensive. There were theories that the gas stations are doing that in order to slowly phase out regular (by claiming that nobody is buying it anymore), but so far no such thing has happened.... it's strange.
Thanks :). I certainly can't see why anyone would choose 91 over 95 at the same price.

I find it strange that I'm so close to Germany and yet our diesel prices are 5 cents cheaper yet our gasoline prices are 20 cents mor expensive!

I find it strange that I'm so close to Germany and yet our diesel prices are 5 cents cheaper yet our gasoline prices are 20 cents mor expensive!

well... that means you are even more overtaxed then we are, on petrol. Cause, minus the tax, diesel should actually be more expensive than petrol these days.

If you go to austria, (which in turn is pretty close to my part of germany), you only save like 10c on diesel, but you save a good 30c on petrol, so lucky for me I have a petrol car, and can fuel up there.

@Interceptor: I'll take a look at the station today.... bzw, where do you get the online info from?

I don't get the relationship between the prices; 2 years ago, diesel was often cheaper than regular gas and rarely more expensive than premium (highest octane), but for the last year or so it's been consistently more than $0.20 (why don't American keyboards have a cent sign?) over the price of premium, peaking at a difference of more than a dollar.

Down to 3.15 a gallon which is about a 70 cent drop over the last week for us in Atlanta. Ohh and as Americans we do get to bitch more than you, it's not our fault you allow yourselves to have the shit taxed out of you. Not that I bitch because really, it is what it is.

Last edited:
I don't get the relationship between the prices; 2 years ago, diesel was often cheaper than regular gas and rarely more expensive than premium (highest octane), but for the last year or so it's been consistently more than $0.20 (why don't American keyboards have a cent sign?) over the price of premium, peaking at a difference of more than a dollar.

I'm seeing the same change over here (but slightly different).
3 years ago I switched from regular gas to diesel because it was 35% cheaper and it was more economical, etc (I drive about 35k kms a year so the less fuel I use the more money I have left, if any)

now, the price difference is more like 10%, so diesel is still cheaper over here.

Also, I was apalled that I had to pay 1?/litre for regular fuel, which is part of the reason why I switched. Now I'm paying 1.25ish for diesel, would be paying 1.50ish for petrol

*sighs*

Specifications for diesel have become much stricter over the past few years (mainly requirements for lower sulfur content). There's also the fact that diesel is denser than gasoline (specific gravity of about 0.8 compared to 0.7), which also helps it in "distance per volume" fuel economy ratings, by the way.

Higher demand for diesel these days as well. Here diesel have less tax on it than petrol but it's still more expensive as of a year back.

Higher demand for diesel these days as well. Here diesel have less tax on it than petrol but it's still more expensive as of a year back.

Diesel demand in the States is pretty low. It's very uncommon to drive a diesel as your everyday vehicle, in which case it's 99% of the time a pickup truck. It's just not something you consider when buying a car.

$2.66/gallon for 87... Dropped a DOLLAR in a little over a week here. Absolutely insane.