Fuel running out from the gas station in Portugal!!!

Tell me about it!!!

The situation we are in is insane. Firstly because of the 2 deaths, and secondly the social alarm this situation has created in the country. People going to the supermarkets stockpiling as much food as they can as if the world was about to end.

Since the strike began this monday there is no gas station near or in my city that has diesel. All gone in a single day. And I'm talking about a town of about 55.000 inhabitants.

I just find this situation stupid. The gobernment has been telling us about this crysis for months and nobody listened to them. And now when it's late, everybody realizes the situation we are in and starts panicking. :mad:

The advantages of running a petrol car: I filled my tank on Monday as I always do, at my usual station, no problems at all. I refuelled today, and again no problems. Still, I don't think the strike has hit here as hard as in big cities like Barcelona and Madrid.

I do think that something must be done to compensate for this escalation in fuel prices. I'm not so sure that a reduction in the taxes on fuel (which is about 75% of the price in Spain) is a good solution. I have the feeling that fuel companies would increase the price artificially, and we would be back to square one once more. I'm spending about 120? a month in fuel, and I don't see it changing for the better in the near future, unless I do as a friend of mine and buy myself a motorbike... which I don't want to do. Anyway, I guess in the end the death of the car as we know it will come when they price everyone out of the road.

You Brazilians have huge natural resources for growing the stuff. Europe is too little and too full of people, I think. But I'm still afraid that if everybody would start tanking ethanol in Brazilia, food and ethanol prices would skyrocket too.

You Brazilians have huge natural resources for growing the stuff. Europe is too little and too full of people, I think. But I'm still afraid that if everybody would start tanking ethanol in Brazilia, food and ethanol prices would skyrocket too.

You know the truth about all this 'food prices rising' thing? There's no way they can blame the ethanol industry for taking space of food crops. Problem is that simply there isn't enough food crops! There are HUGE amounts of good lands available here, but in the eyes of big farmers/food companies, it just isn't profitable to grow stuff here, with our high taxes and foreign subsidies for agriculture.

Funny thing of all this? Even with all ethanol and natural gas here, which should do for fueling cars, this year Petrobras has already found 2 gigantic crude oil deposits in deep waters, which add to some already enourmous deposits in that area, that still has potential to have much more.

I'm sure it would be damn hard to convert everything to ethanol, but its arguable (yes i need citations) that if you do all the growing and processing locally it starts becoming economically feasible, atleast for rural societies. Oh, and even if food prices went up, you would atleast be funding local farmers who put money back into the local economy, instead of some Arab prince who will probably never do so much as buy a car from you country of origin.

Truth is i just <3 ethanol because people have ran 15:1 dynamic compression with it.

weird, either I drive an insane amount of kms or you guys drive very little.

I do about 3000 kms/month
at 6l/100 kms, that equals 180l of diesel.
price here is 1.30ish so that makes 234? monthly... yikes.

Also drove to Italy, drove around a bit, drove back... which equalled 4000 kms in one week.
Since fuel there is more expensive, and the roads there are hilly (Italy, Austria)and faster(Autobahn :D), that meant :
7 l/100km, 4000 kms equals 280l of diesel.
price there is 1.55ish so that makes 434?. Thats where all my holiday money went :cry:

I do think that something must be done to compensate for this escalation in fuel prices. I'm not so sure that a reduction in the taxes on fuel (which is about 75% of the price in Spain) is a good solution. I have the feeling that fuel companies would increase the price artificially, and we would be back to square one once more. .

So your gov't is taking 75% of the money you pay for fuel, them having done absolutely nothing to produce the product, or supply the product, or even sell the product; yet the oil companies are the ones who will be ripping you off if they lower the taxes?

Are the fuel duties in Europe actually a percentage of the fuel sold or is there a set rate? If it's a percentage I don't see why governments couldn't lower the percentage considering the ever increasing cost of fuel, they can lower the percentage and still make the same money off of the fuel.

Here we have daily riots, mannequins being thrown through windows, people running in the streets for no reason while looking either above or behind them, spontaneous explosions for no reason at all and street gangs that are culturally AND racially diverse roam the area with an 80's soundtrack to accompany them.

Exactly how I pictured Chigaco. :lol:

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thedguy/2008/06/19/mbt09.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure, whether it's completely the same in all European countries, the amounts definitely vary, but here we have a specific tax (about 65c a litre for diesel and 80c for petrol) and a 19% VAT on top of that (the VAT is the same for all goods).

^Yeah, I think in most of Europe there's fuel duty, which is a fixed amount per liter, and then VAT on top of that (which is a %). Double taxation ftl.

Yup, we (The folk that moan lots and like queues) pay 57p tax on fuel as Fuel Duty then 17.5% VAT. I think VAT or Fuel duty should be reduced, if there is a lack of fund (quite possible in this current down turn) just reduce it on diesel to keep the cost of transporting things down.

^Yeah, I think in most of Europe there's fuel duty, which is a fixed amount per liter, and then VAT on top of that (which is a %). Double taxation ftl.

Yup, we (The folk that moan lots and like queues) pay 57p tax on fuel as Fuel Duty then 17.5% VAT. I think VAT or Fuel duty should be reduced, if there is a lack of fund (quite possible in this current down turn) just reduce it on diesel to keep the cost of transporting things down.

The joys of living in a country where that shit is illegal.

Belgium : fixed tax + 21% VAT FTL