Ownership Verified: Fuel? Where we’re going, we won’t need fuel! ==>NooDle’s eGolf

40d4f41b31777c10a59dc533df524d81.jpg

Well dang. Chickened out with 2 kms of range left (and only 4 kms to go). Thank God for free Ikea chargers, after 10 minutes I had another 15 kms range and got to work with plenty to spare.

264Kms with lots of eco driving isn't bad, considering lots of stop start traffic. Think I'll stop the hypermiling now and just drive normally, even then I guess Ill reach 220 kms on a single charge easily, so it's not really worth driving 95 kph max and no aircon/heater...

I love Lidl. Not because they have awesome products or good prices, but because apparently every new store has a (free) 50 kw ccs charger, which can be used by anyone, you don’t even have to buy anything.

As there’s one close to home AND one close to work, and they’re always accessible, even outside opening hours, that means I essentially don’t have to pay for electricity for my car anymore.

Also, charging to 80% in 30 minutes is awesome!

NooDle;n3553593 said:
Around 38kW/hr. NICE.

Err, no :p around 38kW.

kW/h would be change of charging power over time, e.g. as it ramps up... I'd expect it to go from 0 to 38kW in just a few seconds, so maybe 45600kW/h? (pulling 3 seconds from my rear end)

Of course. narf'd. I type corrected.
One month of ownership, 2600 kms gone. Total fuel cost : 38€ (home charging) + a couple of € public charging.
So running costs wise, it's ridiculously cheap, as expected.

Record so far on one charge =

fetch

One month of ownership, 2600 kms gone. Total fuel cost : 38€ (home charging) + a couple of € public charging.

Record so far on one charge = 274 kms. Which is no fun, but good to know that range is there if I really need it.

I "normally" get between 200 and 250 kms on a single charge.

Boot size is good, I'm taking my kids BMXing tomorrow and both bikes + all their crap fits with just half the seats down...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/forums.finalgear.com\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG2]​

My guess o meter is daft and silly when temperatures all over the place. It's quite cold in the mornings (3 degrees) but quite nice in the afternoon (23 degrees).

So I had 260 kms range when I set off this morning, and 197 kms when I finished my 30 km commute. I also had 197 kms to go when I finished my commute back home, so I basically didn't lose ANY range.

Then later on the evening an 8 km drive 'cost' me 20 kms range. Go home eGolf, you're drunk.

Dear VW, why can't I just have a battery meter in % instead of a range meter based on temperature and past consumption? All the other EVs do this, and I have to make do with a shitty 10 bar thingy in the app... I understand that batteries and range varies on driving style etc, just give me the %!

I wonder if some voodoo magic with either VAGCOM or OBDeleven that could help fix this.

ODBEleven does this but it doesn't let you save apparently, so you have to find the % on each startup.... so nope.
I've found out how the meter works and can guesstimate, but still... minor annoyance.. even having little bars like below would help.

In other news, 5k gone in a little over 2 months. I've forgotten how to drive a manual, and am no longer used to coasting (no regen in petrol cars).
Don't think I'll ever want another petrol car.... I'm hooked!

Current highest mileage on 1 charge = 284 kms (lots of city driving and good weather), lowest mileage on 1 charge = 172 kms (all highway, near freezing, heavy wind & elevation changes)
So I guess thats the realistic range extremes?
Since i now have a ton of stats (it measures average speed, kms driven, consumption etc for every drive) I see that my average speed is ridiculously low (41 kph), which may account for my relatively good consumption (13,9 kWh/100 kms). Did not know I was driving that slowly ...

Looking forward to winter and preheating the car / letting the windows defrost remotely :D

ODBEleven does this but it doesn't let you save apparently, so you have to find the % on each startup.... so nope.
I've found out how the meter works and can guesstimate, but still... minor annoyance.. even having small bars like this would help.

In other news, 5k gone in a little over 2 months. I've forgotten how to drive a manual, and am no longer used to coasting (no regen in petrol cars).
Don't think I'll ever want another petrol car.... I'm hooked!

Current highest mileage on 1 charge = 284 kms (lots of city driving and good weather), lowest mileage on 1 charge = 172 kms (all highway, near freezing, heavy wind & elevation changes)
So I guess thats the realistic range extremes?
Since i now have a ton of stats (it measures average speed, kms driven, consumption etc for every drive) I see that my average speed is ridiculously low (41 kph), which may account for my relatively good consumption (13,9 kWh/100 kms). Did not know I was driving that slowly ...

Looking forward to winter and preheating the car / letting the windows defrost remotely :D

Attachments

• 42427563_10156583910338516_4046119394835693568_n.jpg
    42427563_10156583910338516_4046119394835693568_n.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 126
Has it been so long? Apparently, yes.
So a year (give or take a few days) has gone, and still loving the eGolf. Range got a bit lower in the colder winter months (170ish km being a record low on a freezing day with a lot of headwind and long highway stretches).

In summer, 200+kms in ons charge is easy, in winter I'd guess 150 is more realistic. Which is fine for me since I don't often do long distances.
Have tried a longer run twice now (377 kms), and both times worked fine. Fast chargers are easy to find, and even though they are a bit expensive (usually 0.71€/kWh compared to 0.23 kWh I pay at home), but overall the couple of euro's extra cost doesn't outweigh the advantage of being able to go again for a 150-200 km stretch in 20-30 minutes.

Cost wise, I think I did excellent : 562€ of home charging plus a grand total of 37€ of public charging equates to 599€ which is exactly 50€ a month.
Given that I've done 24.122 kms so far, not too bad.

Average consumption is down to around 13,8 kWh/100 kms (summertime) and 16 in wintertime (which is normal I guess, heater etc uses a lot of energy).

Aside from (according to Mrs NooDle) driving like an old man on the highway (120kph is the limit for long stretches, even 130 of 140 kph makes a big difference in range).... all is well...

Those are some impressive numbers, from my calculations (with an average petrol price of 1.46€/L) an equivalent of around 1.7L/100km or 166 UK MPG/138 US MPG. Amazing numbers.

Really glad to hear you're enjoying your time with it.

Thanks!

I don't do Imperial units, so mpg is meaningless to me. I just calculate the cost per km and by that logic it's a no brainer.
600 € / 24.000 kms (I'm even rounding down here) = 0.025€/km.

A comparable petrol car (the Mrs Hyundai Kona comes to mind) would use +- 8 l/100 kms @ 1.46 = 0.1168€/kms.
Or 4.672 times more, to put that into perspective...

So, yes, having instant torque at all times is VERY nice, and yes, all petrol/diesel cars are ruined for me now (nothing has the same instant reaction other than an electric car). Also, saving the planet because oh noes the polar bear is fun.

But the real point of getting an EV is cost, pure and simple.

First service in about 5k miles also (its one of those "30k kms or 2 years, whichever comes first" deals).
Interested what they'll do (refill washer fluid, update GPS? What else is there to service?) - and more importantly, what they'll charge for it :)

To put things into perspective your fuel costs for 24k km would get me roughly 40% of that distance.

And also also, I see a major bump in my mileage despite driving a so called “short range” EV...

Never did more than 15k a year in the C1, only 12 k the last year I owned it. So I basically doubled my mileage and halved my cost. Noice.

Automatic gearbox + adaptive cruise control = bliss.
Manual driving is a hassle now, and I wonder why I ve driven manuals for so damn long....

Yes, Im getting old and boring. But because autobox (actually no box at all) + all the torque all the time means I can usually smoke the usual 320d Beemer with a smile on my face. Sure, eventually they come past doing 140ish on the motorway but who cares

Last edited:
Automatic gearbox + adaptive cruise control = bliss.
Manual driving is a hassle now, and I wonder why I ve driven manuals for so damn long....
Do yourself a favor and don't try Autopilot (or similar systems). I actively dislike having to steer now when driving on the highway or just in any sort of traffic :)

Do yourself a favor and don't try Autopilot (or similar systems). I actively dislike having to steer now when driving on the highway or just in any sort of traffic :)

Ive used the system in a Tesla, and after some minutes of pure terror, normality sets in and its just another less thing to worry about.

Wifes car has lane assist which is essentially the same thing(with extra nagging) but as it has a normal (not adaptive) cruise control + manual gearbox its a lot more busy just driving around.

But yes, you get spoilt quite easily...