Ownership Verified: Fuel? Where we’re going, we won’t need fuel! ==>NooDle’s eGolf

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i
Wind will show a noticeable impact on less efficient cars too... the difference between a 50km/h headwind vs a 50km/h tailwind when travelling at 120km/h is massive, a sixfold increase in energy needed to overcome aerodynamic drag (170² / 70²).

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
Wind will show a noticeable impact on less efficient cars too... the difference between a 50km/h headwind vs a 50km/h tailwind when travelling at 120km/h is massive, a sixfold increase in energy needed to overcome aerodynamic drag (170² / 70²).
Yes, but your internal combustion engine is wasting energy regardless where the wind is blowing so the end result will be a couple deciliters per 100km or so.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Can confirm, the Mercury is terribad in the wind citing 16.8 L/100km last time I did a long highway run. Something like 2 fuel stops if I remember correctly.

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
VW eGolf, Hyundai Kona 1.0
When a car is very efficient and uses very little "fuel", factors like badly aired tires or a headwind can do a lot.

Just like a moped rider can feel a difference in acceleration depending on how much he had for lunch. A lorry driver with 750HP on tap sometimes can't tell if a wheel bearing is siezed until he notices that a tire is on fire.
I understand completely, but this phenomenon seems to impact EVs by a lot more than it does ICE engines.
Headwind may cause you to use 8l/100 kms instead of 7, but for my car it meant 16 kwh/100 kms instead of 11...

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i
I understand completely, but this phenomenon seems to impact EVs by a lot more than it does ICE engines.
Headwind may cause you to use 8l/100 kms instead of 7, but for my car it meant 16 kwh/100 kms instead of 11...
Yup, at higher load an ICE will be more efficient than at lower load, offsetting the extra aero a bit.
Additionally, the non-aero fraction is bigger, with internal engine friction, a more complex gearbox, yada yada.

Quiky

Beep Boop I'm a Robot
STAFF MEMBER
Wasn’t the only EV on market at the time of the shirts inception a Peel or GEM? It’s been.. 13 years?

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
Wasn’t the only EV on market at the time of the shirts inception a Peel or GEM? It’s been.. 13 years?
You'll be thinking of the G-wiz that lends its silhouette to that design. Things have come an incredibly long way since then.

1598750150313.png

Worryingly, Mahindra are still making a 'modern' version and there was the Wheego that some people will be familiar with from Aging Wheels. Proof that not everyone has advanced past tiny cars.

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
We've had an eGolf since 2015. I'm envious of your version's range. We also have a 2015 Mazda 3 when we know we'll need more range, but what it has is juuuuust barely "technically enough".

NooDle

Car(s)
We've had an eGolf since 2015. I'm envious of your version's range. We also have a 2015 Mazda 3 when we know we'll need more range, but what it has is juuuuust barely "technically enough".
Yeah I read whole bunch of reviews before pulling the trigger on this, and the "old" 24 kwh battery just would not suffice for my needs. It gets what, 160 kms/100 miles on 1 charge?

NooDle

Car(s)
That is truly sad. I’m getting around 250 kms on a charge now, mainly because it’s a nice temperature and also because since I don’t actually needto drive to go to work, I don’t usually go above 70/80 kph.

Home charging overview since covid does underline that less driving means less costs...

July and August were months where Ihad 2 week holidays so that explains that...

NooDle

Car(s)
Dear VW, why can't I just have a battery meter in % instead of a range meter based on temperature and past consumption? All the other EVs do this, and I have to make do with a shitty 10 bar thingy in the app... I understand that batteries and range varies on driving style etc, just give me the %!
A year and a half late, but someone at VW listened to me! It's only visible in the app mind you, but still! Progress!

Oh yeah and in some menus its a VW ID3 and not a Golf but whatever

Attachments

Last edited: