Ownership Verified: Fuel? Where we’re going, we won’t need fuel! ==>NooDle’s eGolf

Wind will show a noticeable impact on less efficient cars too... the difference between a 50km/h headwind vs a 50km/h tailwind when travelling at 120km/h is massive, a sixfold increase in energy needed to overcome aerodynamic drag (170² / 70²).

Wind will show a noticeable impact on less efficient cars too... the difference between a 50km/h headwind vs a 50km/h tailwind when travelling at 120km/h is massive, a sixfold increase in energy needed to overcome aerodynamic drag (170² / 70²).

Yes, but your internal combustion engine is wasting energy regardless where the wind is blowing so the end result will be a couple deciliters per 100km or so.

Can confirm, the Mercury is terribad in the wind citing 16.8 L/100km last time I did a long highway run. Something like 2 fuel stops if I remember correctly.

When a car is very efficient and uses very little "fuel", factors like badly aired tires or a headwind can do a lot.

Just like a moped rider can feel a difference in acceleration depending on how much he had for lunch. A lorry driver with 750HP on tap sometimes can't tell if a wheel bearing is siezed until he notices that a tire is on fire.

I understand completely, but this phenomenon seems to impact EVs by a lot more than it does ICE engines.
Headwind may cause you to use 8l/100 kms instead of 7, but for my car it meant 16 kwh/100 kms instead of 11...

I understand completely, but this phenomenon seems to impact EVs by a lot more than it does ICE engines.
Headwind may cause you to use 8l/100 kms instead of 7, but for my car it meant 16 kwh/100 kms instead of 11...

Yup, at higher load an ICE will be more efficient than at lower load, offsetting the extra aero a bit.
Additionally, the non-aero fraction is bigger, with internal engine friction, a more complex gearbox, yada yada.

Also, I discovered I still own this shirt.
90b6fd92628c18a30fa02e25d64a4452.jpg

That didn't age well

I still have this one too, needs a tweak but I can still claim it's relevant. :LOL:

"Charge *and* Supercharge".

Wasn’t the only EV on market at the time of the shirts inception a Peel or GEM? It’s been.. 13 years?

Wasn’t the only EV on market at the time of the shirts inception a Peel or GEM? It’s been.. 13 years?

You'll be thinking of the G-wiz that lends its silhouette to that design. Things have come an incredibly long way since then.

1598750150313.png

Worryingly, Mahindra are still making a 'modern' version and there was the Wheego that some people will be familiar with from Aging Wheels. Proof that not everyone has advanced past tiny cars.

We've had an eGolf since 2015. I'm envious of your version's range. We also have a 2015 Mazda 3 when we know we'll need more range, but what it has is juuuuust barely "technically enough".

We've had an eGolf since 2015. I'm envious of your version's range. We also have a 2015 Mazda 3 when we know we'll need more range, but what it has is juuuuust barely "technically enough".
Yeah I read whole bunch of reviews before pulling the trigger on this, and the "old" 24 kwh battery just would not suffice for my needs. It gets what, 160 kms/100 miles on 1 charge?

That is truly sad. I’m getting around 250 kms on a charge now, mainly because it’s a nice temperature and also because since I don’t actually needto drive to go to work, I don’t usually go above 70/80 kph.

Home charging overview since covid does underline that less driving means less costs...
86540d9a568d09f40b9a712865239063.jpg

July and August were months where Ihad 2 week holidays so that explains that...

Dear VW, why can't I just have a battery meter in % instead of a range meter based on temperature and past consumption? All the other EVs do this, and I have to make do with a shitty 10 bar thingy in the app... I understand that batteries and range varies on driving style etc, just give me the %!

A year and a half late, but someone at VW listened to me! It's only visible in the app mind you, but still! Progress!

Oh yeah and in some menus its a VW ID3 and not a Golf but whatever

89422bb134b51def9e46f6340a7292e6.jpg

26e5fcb54265d70c04b6768675455f16.jpg

d6d063f8c07453a4eb539d25f83c5d38.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200915-234305.jpg
    Screenshot_20200915-234305.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Reinstalled my buttwarmers since it's getting colder. Having trouble getting to 200 kms on 1 charge due to cold weather and wind.

Also also, seems I grossly miscalculated my running costs... Turns out the off peak tariff is 0,15€/kwh and not 0,22€/kwh. So I guess I'm even lower cost wise, since I always charge at night....

Sounds like things are still going well. Have you driven the ID.3 to compare? Is it the next logical upgrade you think?

I drove one for half an hour or so, so just a short impression. Lots roomier on the inside, I like the new gearlever thingy they stole off the BMW i3.

Range is massively improved of course, and the rear space and boot have both grown.

Interior feels slightly more tacky but the surfaces you touch are nice and soft.

Power is very good, rwd handling also. Seems a logical step forward... If I can get one as my next car I won't hesitate

Car was serviced last week. As usual nothing to report, other than the attendant not understanding why the car was marked as 'done' when the 'change oil' section was marked as 'not completed'...

It’s quite cold now, temps properly below 0 at night so frost is a thing now.

And after driving my wife’s car yesterday and faffing around with scratching frost off and trying (and failing) to heat the car up by turning on the engine, I have decided that EVs are king at winter weather.

Yes, it costs some range, but pressing a button on your phone and having your car preheat the cabin AND simultaneously defrost all windows in a few minutes time is just so goddamn convenient.

Range down to 165kms on a full charge, but I don’t care since I’m warm and can see out of the car with zero hassle.