Ownership Verified: Fuel? Where we’re going, we won’t need fuel! ==>NooDle’s eGolf

Do yourself a favor and don't try Autopilot (or similar systems). I actively dislike having to steer now when driving on the highway or just in any sort of traffic :)

Nothing in this conversation makes me feel positive about the future of motoring :p

Never made the usual 'everything open' pic so here it is. Opened the bonnet for the second time ever, and took a look at where the power is generated.

Has space enough left over for a backpack or something. Weird but ok.
97d4579467abd4abf34e230c54a20898.jpg
501f19651102800f3b7796a0c59d662d.jpg
68405045288df065a289bf7a377050ef.jpg

Nothing in this conversation makes me feel positive about the future of motoring :p

The future of motoring will be electric and self driving, so you won't need to worry about watching the road, looking out for other road users, etc.
It'll be awesome to just get in a car completely and utterly hammered, and tell it to "get me home" and it will.

There'll still be people who drive cars for the sake of it, but it'll be more like a hobby.

But there are already things like public transportation and taxis, what's the point of having a car that will be electric and do what taxis do, basically? I bet if you don't use if a lot, it'd be quite a lot more expensive than taking a taxi everywhere, too.

Manual driving is a hassle now, and I wonder why I ve driven manuals for so damn long....

I came to this conclusion in my early 20’s :p

I can’t understand why “non car people” want manuals. I have friends that even refuse to drive my cars because they “can’t drive automatic”, like it’s difficult somehow. It’s silly.

On the other hand, another friend went from hating automatics to not wanting anything else after he spent an hour and a half behind the wheel of my V70.

I can’t understand why “non car people” want manuals. I have friends that even refuse to drive my cars because they “can’t drive automatic”, like it’s difficult somehow.

This, really this. Especially old Germans do not wanna drive automatic because... they don't know how. And don't even bother trying to explain it to them.

Despite being driven by magic and silence, at the end of the day my eGolf is not immune to everyday issues... Like punctures

be2f27cf50a182647ad0e16a3c568eb1.jpg

Tyre guys managed to patch it quite fast though, not even a new tyre needed.

So even when there's a problem, it's uneventful and boring

First service done... 107€ for some tyres/brake checks, filling up the windscreen washer fluid and doing some software updates.

Seems fair? I have no frame of reference with these things :dunno:

Getting below freezing now, which means a dip in range as isnto be expected. Currently getting 170/180 kms instead of 200+ in summer.

Then again, I now have chargers at work AND at home so I’m never worried.

Also also, I forgot how cool the preheat function is. Love to,see the neighbours struggling with getting the windscreen ice free while I can do the same + preheat the cabin from my bed

Also also, I forgot how cool the preheat function is. Love to,see the neighbours struggling with getting the windscreen ice free while I can do the same + preheat the cabin from my bed

I know right? ? I burn a squirt of diesel to accomplish the same thing, though.

Remote start, bro! :p

You know I think i have seen one of these because I vaguely remember seeing the blue on the grill and being like "GTIs are red so what does blue mean?" Then immediately forgetting.?

Someone at the shop class i took had a Bolt and popped the hood and we just stared at it for awhile trying to make sense of it. Ah yes. A series of boxes. That's sure a thing. I wonder if they will offer classes to service these at some point.

The thing that felt weirdest when opening the hood of an electric car last winter was the frost covering almost everything in the, uh, engine bay since there's nothing heating up most things.

I wonder if they will offer classes to service these at some point.

Both dealer networks and schools are already at it, since the cars are out there and on the roads. It's really no different from when fuel injection first appeared and mechanics had to learn new stuff.

I'd imagine that it'd be a bit difficult to find competent place to service your six-carb V12 jaguar these days, though.

The thing that felt weirdest when opening the hood of an electric car last winter was the frost covering almost everything in the, uh, engine bay since there's nothing heating up most things.
Yeah this this still confuses me aswell. but, no cats sleeping on the bonnet, so less risk of scratches.

With regards to servicing, I doubt they'll offer courses, because to my understanding the biggest part of the maintenance is checking the battery with some software you won't be able to use yourself...

Yeah. There are some basic service tasks that are the same as for ICE cars (brakes, suspension, diffs, exterior/body panel checks, air filters and other stuff that's unchanged), and most of the electric drivetrain and battery stuff is not really serviceable - there's software-based diagnostics and parts replacement. But since it's all mechanically much, much simpler than a traditional engine and drivetrain there aren't really any complex parts to service and fix in place on the car that would require extensive training.

Working with high voltage systems is the one important new thing to learn, but that's less complex training and more precautionary "don't touch anything orange-colored unless it's been powered down for a while and even then only when you know exactly what you're doing".

Working with high voltage systems is the one important new thing to learn, but that's less complex training and more precautionary "don't touch anything orange-colored unless it's been powered down for a while and even then only when you know exactly what you're doing".
More like "stick a multimeter in there first, if it says there is no current, go ahead and touch it"

Yeah. There are some basic service tasks that are the same as for ICE cars (brakes, suspension, diffs, exterior/body panel checks, air filters and other stuff that's unchanged), and most of the electric drivetrain and battery stuff is not really serviceable - there's software-based diagnostics and parts replacement. But since it's all mechanically much, much simpler than a traditional engine and drivetrain there aren't really any complex parts to service and fix in place on the car that would require extensive training.

You need special insulated tools and gloves. A short could be devastating and even kill you.

There are several YouTube channels that show how to service various components within an EV/hybrid driveline, including the teardown of battery packs for other uses.

More like "stick a multimeter in there first, if it says there is no current, go ahead and touch it"

Current? Do you mean voltage?

Can you have voltage without current?

you can only measure current when the meter is wired in series in the circuit between battery and motor. I highly doubt a handheld multimeter can handle anything that high.