Ownership Verified: Fuel? Where we’re going, we won’t need fuel! ==>NooDle’s eGolf

Yes, it costs some range, but pressing a button on your phone and having your car preheat the cabin AND simultaneously defrost all windows in a few minutes time is just so goddamn convenient.

I totally agree, but this is not something only EV's can do. It's been almost a decade since I last used an ice scraper.

I know I know but in normal countries where it isn't -40° in winter, it's a novelty.
I first knew Webasto as a manufacturer of charging points for EVs before I knew they did other stuff.

it's really unheard of here, and not needed most of the year. But still :p

“Normal countries”...

Eberspächer air heaters used to be more or less standard fare in air cooled Volkswagens back in the day, and not only up here in the north. It’s not a new thing. ?

It is here. Also, it takes 30 seconds to defrost instead of 30 minutes, and doesn’t cost 1000€+

Longish drive today, 275ish kms in total. Dropping the kids off at camp and doing some shopping. Felt good to be out and about. As I anticipated the car didn’t like 1 degree weather, heavy headwind, and lots of elevation changes. Good thing I had planned a charging stop halfway, so no range anxiety.

Still weird that despite being 2 nearly identical runs, the second one was a lot easier on battery despite being faster.... got home with 40ish on the gom, which would have given me 170ish kms total. First round was 12 kms to go....

Also having a charger at home is just so goddamn convenient, more and more people are getting phevs and I frequently see them hogging the chargers. Sure you can charge there, but please move your car when you’re done and don’t stay plugged in all night. EV drivers kinda need that juice to get home, you can always rely on petrol alone in an emergency...

Still weird that despite being 2 nearly identical runs, the second one was a lot easier on battery despite being faster.... got home with 40ish on the gom, which would have given me 170ish kms total. First round was 12 kms to go....
Guessing: on the way out the battery was cold and some power got used up in heating losses. On the way back it was warmer and so more efficient. Plus maybe general wind direction affecting aero.

Well there was 4 hrs between part 1 and 2, but during that time I charged up, which also generates some heat so you could be right

e443061fdcd4ab899b465c2621d6a1da.jpg

Weird, car charges slowly (it’s a 3 phase chargepoint so it should give me 7,4 kw which equates to 4,5 hrs). It is completely low on battery so perhaps it charges slower at first to protect itself?

Also gave the car a proper wash for the first time in ages. Still love how it looks, especially the front. The new Golf has a droopy face which is just ugly IMO.

9858b37e67de13927a8d9aa2c510c363.jpg

71ee2c0236191789cfc5112f4d47c6e2.jpg

d2508760e3fb8510390ee05a87303c67.jpg

Hmm, empty battery should mean maximum charge power, that shouldn't be a thing that slows the charging down.

Yeah it turns out it was a temporary thing, after 5 or so minutes it went on to charge at full speed. I remember seeing this before when the car gets close to 0%. It doesn’t seem to happen with fast DC charging though.

Also, I kinda forgot how annoying my car gets to drive when so close to empty. Below 5% you have nearly no power (25 kW max) and also your top speed is limited to 80 kph or so, and heating shuts off automatically... in this weather this means driving around with the windows fogged up, getting in the way of everyone despite flooring the pedal... then again, totally my own fault for letting it get so low....

The new Golf has a droopy face which is just ugly IMO.

It does feel like the new Golf was something they slapped together to keep the Golf fans happy. The effort is on the ID series.

in this weather this means driving around with the windows fogged up, getting in the way of everyone despite flooring the pedal... then again, totally my own fault for letting it get so low....
This is a safety hazard and I personally believe it should not be so quickly rationalized.

This is a safety hazard and I personally believe it should not be so quickly rationalized.

It's probably still faster than a truck, something like a Mercedes Atego or larger... which is legally limited to 80 and governed to 90, by the way. Are these safety hazards?

It's probably still faster than a truck, something like a Mercedes Atego or larger... which is legally limited to 80 and governed to 90, by the way. Are these safety hazards?
Possibly the fogging rather than the rolling roadblock. I know it's virtually impossible but it would be nice for electric cars to reserve enough juice to ensure the screen can always be cleared.

I've not been in that situation and hope I don't have to be but I like the idea of having an emergency charge pack.

Depends, is the truck easier to notice by other drivers and can the truck driver can actually see out of the truck while doing 80?

Basically what Matt2000 said in addition to the risks posed from it being a smaller vehicle limited to that speed making it more likely to be overlooked by distracted drivers, especially on poor weather conditions.

To be fair, you can still turn the fan on full blast to demist the windows. And this ‘limp mode’ only gets triggered with like 10 kms of range. Ive only seen the icon a handful of times.

This is after the 50 km warming, the 30 km warning, the 20 km ‘eco mode only’ warning.... so it’s not like this just happens suddenly

-4 and dropping. Tons of snow. 140 kms of range max. And of course the hood won’t defrost because it doesn’t produce heat. And naturally, electrical consumption is through the roof : 24 kwh/100 kms and I’ve only done small roads. About double that of what I get in summer.

Purdy though.

ba67b50108485b372bcb23916efff2af.jpg

Yes, the kids have drawn penises on the hood. Since it’ll freeze for a while, I’m stuck with ice weiner on my hood for some time to come.

ef1acf6946347f18377e95289e58e9f3.jpg

And here’s how you keep your charge cable dry and clean

f49b71b0332834ea8fe01f89119ca6ef.jpg

Last edited:
-8 now, getting properly cold tonight (-12) so range is dropping dramatically, I’ve seen it dip below 130 kms total range. Consumption is on par with an Audi etron(26kwh/100 kms). But it still opens, starts and drives like normal.

Unlike my wife’s petrol engined Hyundai, which I jumpstarted this morning using my eGolf. Golf 1 Hyundai 0. Smug mode on for me

Is the Kona even old enough as a model to have had time to wear a battery out?

Unless something was left on in the car (which on a modern car should be impossible) i’d say something is broken.

It’s 3 years old but hardly gets driven, her commute is like 8 kms so not really long enough to charge the battery. Plus it has tons of electrical stuff (electric seats, wingmirrors, heated seat & steering wheel, HUD, keyless go).

Add to that the car hasn’t moved in a week, and it’s been very cold here for a couple of nights straight, it isn’t surprising.

Car’s on a trickle charger now, see if that helps. Ironic really, her car battery needing to be charged for a change