Fun starter Guitar and Amp?

Hmmm....me likes the humbuckers :drool:

I was thinking of buying a used Strat, but now that I heard all of this, I think I've changed my mind!

Last edited:
Hmmm....me likes the humbuckers :drool:

I was thinking of buying a used Strat, but now that I heard all of this, I think I've changed my mind!

Hey now...don't get ahead of yourself.

a) You can buy Stratocasters with Humbuckers, Floyd Rose tremlo systems, etc.
b) You have to PLAY a guitar before you buy it. Just because you like the sound of the engine noise doesn't make it a better car. Neck thickness, radiused necks, fretboard material and fret profile, neck finishes (painted vs tung oiled vs clear-coated, etc) weight, etc all are more important. You can always change the pick-ups...and they do make single-coil-sized humbuckers.

Oi, yes, you're all getting ahead of me with this terminology :blink:

OK, I was confused when I said that.

The more examples of the different sounds the better

about the "Vintage" distortion device, does that directly mean i need to look for a older item, or is it just vintage style?

Still don't know what im personally going after, i think establishing a good device to play with the guitars sound would be the most important thing, ill figure out what guitars i like by playing them most likely, but especially if these distortion devices are hard to find then i feel compelled to start looking ASAP

What i really wan't to do more then anything is have the ability to create my own sounds, when i played acoustic i would always do weird things just to make the guitar sound interesting, from everything ive experienced electric guitars seem to have a much more expansive theme on the same thing

One last thing, why is a pick needed? i have tons of them so i have no problem with them, just curious as i love playing with my fingers

what type of sound is used to describe Ibanez guitars? one of my favorite guitarists when i was younger apparently played them almost exclusively (although in a few very different styles :p)

nor do these guitars follow any patterns (this looks more diverse)
Gibson Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Gibson ES 335
Martin Steel Stringed Acoustic
Washburn Nylon Classical
Tobias 5 string bass

Last edited:
You don't need an OLD device, just something that is vintage style. But those pedals tend to cost a lot...

we still don't know your budget.

If you like to create your own sounds you may be better off with a guitar with AND single coils AND humbuckers
Something like this (Ibanez SA series):
GSA60_BS_1P_02.gif

It makes sense to establish first which guitarist you want to sound like, but on the other hand, you'll never sound like him because playing is just as important as the gear you use. Hendrix will sound Hendrix on any guitar...

On the Fender website, you can hear samples of most of their guitars. You might want to check those out. Just to hear what's what.

No you don't NEED a pick all the time, but you'd be missing out a lot of great sounds if you don't use it at all.

So...a cheaper guitar like an Ibanez + maybe a cheaper digital effects box with a lot of different effects + an amp...

what type of sound is used to describe Ibanez guitars? one of my favorite guitarists when i was younger apparently played them almost exclusively (although in a few very different styles :p)

Who? Steve Vai with his transparent/swirly paint guitars with monkey-grip, or Joe Satriani with his chrome guitars? ;)

Ibanez's are definately a "rock" guitar, and usually have pretty clean, but sometimes "thin" sound, even with humbuckers. But, because there are literally hundreds of different guitars that they make...each style is going to sound different.

Gibson Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Gibson ES 335

As far as describing their sounds...
Fender Stratocaster has a very clean twang, well defined highs, and I would describe their low end as being "crispy" rather than "crunchy." *laughs* Sounds strange...umm...crispy is a flakey buttery cracker, where crunchy is a greasy fried chicken breading.

Fender telecaster usually will have a "lipstick" pick-up which takes all of the differences a single coil has from a humbucker, and takes them up a notch. Much twangier, little bit noisier. The bridge pickup, though, can either be a humbucker or a single coil. Their necks are slimmer than a strat, but their headstock doesn't look as cool. *laughs*

Gibson es 355...think B.B. King's Lucile. Buttery tone, clear as a bell, but if you're looking for something to "process" through effects, this may not fare well. The open chambers tend to create more hassle than they are worth. The neck will feel most like an accoustic, though, so it'd be a more familiar feel. Typically played with thicker strings, too.

You don't need an OLD device, just something that is vintage style. But those pedals tend to cost a lot...

So...a cheaper guitar like an Ibanez + maybe a cheaper digital effects box with a lot of different effects + an amp...

Exactly. I just meant you'll want to stay away from pedals that say things like "Thrash Metal" or things like that. Check out http://www.guitargearreview.com fore reviews. Musiciansfriend.com and guitarcenter.com usually have some pretty good prices...of course, I'm in the US...I don't know what your 10-20 is...

I would say, that if you're trying to basically have a "guitar synth" by having an instrument that makes a lot of different sounds, Ibanez lend themselves really well to that, and I would say that typically Humbicking pickups have a more transparent sound than single-coils (it would be like with photoshop, starting with a RAW digital camera file, rather than one that's already been compressed to jpg, and cropped.{even though, yes, I realize that "technically" the single coil is a more pure sound...but it just doesnt' sound like it. :) })

They are also less noisey with their "hiss."

Another plus, Ibanez has been around for a LONG time, so finding a used one is easy. Would you rather spend $300 on a $300 guitar, or spend $300 on a $500 guitar? Not only that, but Ibanez are really easy to play, for the most part. Very thin necks (coming from an accoustic, it's crazy-thin) for the most part, good frets, and pretty good hardware. I would, however, stay away from a guitar with a tremlo/whammy bar. As tempting as they are, for someone firsts electric guitar, you'll never be able to use it well *laughs* and it just makes it harder to tune, and change strings.

You can probably get by with just a multi effects processor, but for me, it's worth the extra couple bucks to buy a seperate drive pedal, and since you mentioned the "Hendrix" sound, you'll want a quality Wah, most likely the Cry Baby. For the most part, every multi-effects processor will have a descent reverb, chorus, delay, etc...but as far as a distortion pedal, each guitar and player is different, so buying it seperate is a good way to not have to comprimise. Definately check out the used section of your local music store. If you have a big chain like Guitar Center, they usually have lots of used pedals in a glass case by their Guitar/Bass strings counter.

No you don't NEED a pick all the time, but you'd be missing out a lot of great sounds if you don't use it at all.

A pick will give you a "brighter" sound than using your fingers. Kevin Eubanks on the tonight show plays with his fingers, and for me, it always sounds like there's a pillow in front of his speaker. You'll also be able to get more volume with a pick. When a pick passes a string, it lets go suddenly, beginning with a percussive sound. When you finger pick, your finger is that much wider than the pick, so the string, rather tham immediately springing back, will slide along your finger, speeding up. It's the difference between being shot out of a cannon at 100mph, and driving up to 100mph. Also, picks make it much easier to do harmonic "sqeals" when you're soloing. ;)

Fender Stratocaster has a very clean twang, well defined highs, and I would describe their low end as being "crispy" rather than "crunchy." *laughs* Sounds strange...umm...crispy is a flakey buttery cracker, where crunchy is a greasy fried chicken breading.
"Peppery" :lol: [/Hammond]

One last thing, why is a pick needed? i have tons of them so i have no problem with them, just curious as i love playing with my fingers
Picks can give a sharper "ping", which you will want sometimes.

You have to say though, he is one awesome guitar player...

Last edited:
I know it seems like the main competition here is between strats and les pauls, but it's impossible to forget the SG in this comparison. Sure, it has flaws. I'll be the first one to acknowlege that. But it has a great sound and many of the greats have played them with gusto (Angus Young and Jimmy Page, anyone?)

I know it seems like the main competition here is between strats and les pauls, but it's impossible to forget the SG in this comparison. Sure, it has flaws. I'll be the first one to acknowlege that. But it has a great sound and many of the greats have played them with gusto (Angus Young and Jimmy Page, anyone?)

I think it's just easier to compare the sound of a single-coil to the sound of a humbucker by comparing the two "giants" of the guitar world.

In the same breath as the SG, you could say the Explorer, the Flying V, the Telecaster, the Jaguar, the Mustang, etc etc. Once you get more "metal-ish" there's the Jackson Dinkys, etc.

While I've been playing the guitar for 18 years, I had bad teachers so I never got any better after the first 2 years, and have become bored. Everytime the drummer of the various bands I was in left their drumset at my house between practices, I never had more fun playing an instrument, so I'll probably end up taking up the drums once I get a basement...however...if I did buy another guitar, it's probably be a Carvin or another Ibanez. I've got the amp I want, and am really happy with it (Ampeg VH-120, half-stack) but this is just the beans:
83807b.jpg

ae185-blueburstflame-68426.jpg

my budget is anywhere from $150 to 1200 probably, but id spend more if i found i could get closer to what i wan't sonud wise,

i also might be able to spend more then that since between me and my sister we have around $2500-3000 sitting in a friends houses basement (parents broke up, so friend is helping store some stuff while me and my dad prepare to move out)

as it would be going from money selling music stuff to buy new music equipment, i don't think my family would care so much (compared to if i sold it to buy car parts :p)

anyways, ill try to post some songs if that helps, i have a really weird taste in guitar sound, and i suppose thats why id like as many things to play with the sounds as possible, I'm not so worried about covering songs other people have done as much as writing my own (juts for fun), i like experimenting with sound, which is why i know so much about exhaust layouts and their effect on sound, studying stuff like that really interests me

Last edited:
Maybe a guitar synth is for you then. Although, before making that large of a leap, I would say to start with just a guitar,amp and effecte pedal to decide if spending that much on the system would still interest you. You can spend thousands on built-in-synth-component guitars, like Parker Flys etc...I'd be leary about jumping so head-first when you don't even know if you like to swim. Besides, many multi-effects processors can do amazing things...

Here's my suggestion: buy a used Ibanez with a H-S-S pick-up configuration, get a used amp with at least a 10" if not a 12" (not a Peavy) and a Digitech or DOD multi-effects processor (with a built in pedal, for wolume, wah, whammy, etc), Again, used. You'll get a lot more for your money, you'll get quality gear, and a good place to start with where you can trade-up if you want/need to, without having spent too much for things like a Synth set-up, or a "digital guitar".

Other ideas or suggestions chaps?

edit: Here's an example of what I mean by "Multi Effects Processor, with a built in Pedal."
gnx1sm.jpg

http://www.digitech.com/products/gnx1.htm

Here's a demo of some of the sounds this type of thing can make. Note: this is the cheapest of this particular line, with the fewest effects.
http://www.digitech.com/products/sounds/gnx1demo.mp3

Last edited:
it doesn't require that i play progressive jazz does it :p ?

that seems pretty impressive, still the vintage style device sounds pretty good, i just need enough effects with analog dials so i can go crazy with the amount of combinations

i know this might sound a bit stupid, but maybe could you lead me to a good, middle of the road (as far as clean or crunchy sounding) but inexpensive guitar, i don't know exactly what i'm after, so a run of the mill suggestion would be a good place to start

basically im looking for the best starter guitar, something that everybody likes a little, but may not be the best at any one particular thing. Maybe this isn't i simple question, but kind of the type of thing that is so commom experienced guitarists roll their eyes at it (not because its bad, just because of commonality)

thanks for the recommendations on AMPS though as those seem a little more straight forward, i didn't know that peavey was bad, but now i quess i do (if thats correct?!?)

Last edited:
Oh, that's nothing:
http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=NS1

Scroll down to the flash video, and click on the "Sound possibilities" item in the playlist below the video.

And "no, you won't have to play new age acoustic guitar music coming from the lame kiosk in target with cd's of waterfalls and celtic music."

lmao, i updated the post above as well^^^^

Last edited:
I think it's just easier to compare the sound of a single-coil to the sound of a humbucker by comparing the two "giants" of the guitar world.

In the same breath as the SG, you could say the Explorer, the Flying V, the Telecaster, the Jaguar, the Mustang, etc etc. Once you get more "metal-ish" there's the Jackson Dinkys, etc.

Yes, but the four most important and "biggest" electrics of all time are probably the Fender strat and tele and the Gibson les paul and SG. If I remember correctly, they are also the four top-selling electrics of all time. I am completely aware that the main comparison here is between single coils and humbuckers, but what I am saying is that if you like the humbucking sound, the Les Paul isn't the only affordable choice worth looking at. Epiphone also makes about 20 different SGs (including artist signature models) and a few Xplorers and Flying Vs.

i know this might sound a bit stupid, but maybe could you lead me to a good, middle of the road (as far as clean or crunchy sounding) but inexpensive guitar, i don't know exactly what i'm after, so a run of the mill suggestion would be a good place to start

Good idea. Don't start with a really expensive guitar because you might just end up quitting next month.

I suggest you start with something like a cheaper Ibanez, play that for awhile, then if you feel the need to upgrade you always can.

Here are a few cheaper suggestions:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAGRG170DX
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG350DX
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG350EX

Any of those would be a really great starter guitar ;)

As for amps, something with built in distortion would be great to start with, so you don't need any extra pedals. This crate has two 12" speakers, 120W, and is nicely priced:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--CRAGT212

Last edited:
I vote for nothing by Fender....I hate them. Not for the sound, but for the way they feel. I personally am a Les Paul kinda guy. I have 2 of them. Love the sound and the way they feel. I dunno, I'm just picky. I plan on buying at least 2 more guitars to add to my collection. First is a Paul Reed Smith. I LOVE those things. Had a chance to buy a used one a few years back, and they sold it literally when I was on my way to buy it.
The other one will be this one
dean_from_hell_cfh_med.jpg

It will be more of a collection piece. Darrell was one of idols when I first started playing, so it would be just cool to have one of those.

Anyways, when I started playing, I started on a Vester. It was a decent guitar for beginners. I played it for a year, then got my first Les Paul. I've had it for at least 12 years now, and it still sounds as good as it did new.

The more I think about it, the more I sway back and forth...until I found a demo video on YouTube (I can't be bothered to find it again) of an Ibanez with two humbuckers and a five-way pickup switch. What I really liked is that it gave both a nice, thick humbucker sound in position 1 and 3, but in position four when it was in "single-coil mode", it really sounded like a strat. So, it was the best of both worlds, really.

What guitars should I be looking for with this feature?

How about an Ibanez :)