• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Functional V8 Paper Engine!!!

pdanev

Forum Addict
This V8 Engine made entirely out of paper with the exception of a few parts (motor, wires, etc.), is fully functional. It features many moving parts which include ?a compound crankshaft, a rapid cooling fan, 8 rods, 8 pistons and a complex compound gearbox etc.?. The engine is powered by 2?1.5V D Batteries and weighs 2.98kg. From start to finish this model took one year to design and construct. There is even a D.I.Y. kit in the works that will be released shortly at the price of $85 USD. What comes next?a fully functional car made out of paper?

paper_v8_engine.jpg

Videos on the bottom of this page

That's awesome. I remember building a paper clock when I was 12, but that didn't even come remotely close to working. I'll have to give this a shot! (After I tackle the devious LEGO Imperial Star Destroyer. 3000 pieces in 5 hours? Time for a record!)

:shock: how many horsepower though ? I think it will deteriorate fast if put in an often-used car .... paper is pretty much made out of wood, right ? so how come it doesn't catch on fire from all those gasoline-filled explosions? Hard to believe it's fully functional .... maybe a good to-scale model that could work just like the real thing ... but to put that in a car ... i dunno, did they actually try it ?

EDIT: I hate QuickTime ! :twisted:

vladmitu said:
:shock: how many horsepower though ? I think it will deteriorate fast if put in an often-used car .... paper is pretty much made out of wood, right ? so how come it doesn't catch on fire from all those gasoline-filled explosions? Hard to believe it's fully functional .... maybe a good to-scale model that could work just like the real thing ... but to put that in a car ... i dunno, did they actually try it ?

Runs on batteries ;).

^ I know that, but, the thing was, they say it's fully functional, but if you can't put any gas in it, how is that "fully-functional" ? They might as well have made a fully-functional model of a steam engine, because if this is to be a fully-function model of an INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE, then it better damn support the "internal combustion" part of it. :lol:

so a paper internal combustion V8 that runs on batteries. thats fucking awesome.

vladmitu said:
^ I know that, but, the thing was, they say it's fully functional, but if you can't put any gas in it, how is that "fully-functional" ? They might as well have made a fully-functional model of a steam engine, because if this is to be a fully-function model of an INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE, then it better damn support the "internal combustion" part of it. :lol:
It's a hybrid V8. :p

vladmitu said:

at least .mov files always play in VLC, .wmv files seem to be about 50/50 :roll: