Funny Obselete British Laws Thread

1- It is illegal to eat mince on Christmas
I think that should be mince pies - thanks to Oliver Cromwell - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1568474/Dont-die-in-parliament-its-the-law.html

3- It is illegal to die in Parliament

From my very shaky memory I believe this one is actually enforced. If anyone starts having a heart attack or whatever they are shipped out the door pretty quick so they technically die in the back of an ambulance just outside instead.

Isn't there a law that makes it legal to shoot a Scotsman somewhere?

York I believe. 1 version of this - and the welsh in Chester one - I have heard is that it is only legal if you use a bow and arrow.

Isn't it just good manors to make sure people are put in ambulances when they suffer an heart attack?

;)

From my very shaky memory I believe this one is actually enforced. If anyone starts having a heart attack or whatever they are shipped out the door pretty quick so they technically die in the back of an ambulance just outside instead.

I think Disneyland try to do this too but have failed on numerous occasions (not much an ambulance can do about someone who's plummeted several hundred feet on a rollercoaster).

Ugh, you can't difface any British money with queen on it? ( I think). But, mind you lots of shops write on the money in black marker pens... Perhaps that's why they're all going into administration.

Could that pen be the type of marker that makes sure its not counterfeit? Over here every shop has some so when someone buys something expensive they know they're not get ripped off.

I think Disneyland try to do this too but have failed on numerous occasions (not much an ambulance can do about someone who's plummeted several hundred feet on a rollercoaster).

...except pick up the pieces, and have them pronounced dead off-site.

Could that pen be the type of marker that makes sure its not counterfeit? Over here every shop has some so when someone buys something expensive they know they're not get ripped off.

Except, apparently, you can fool them by spraying your fake money with a little hairspray.

If writing on money is considered "defacing" I'm not sure it would matter why you're doing it, even if it's to protect yourself.

Last edited:
^so all the smiley faces I drew on the banknotes is considered defacing?
Even if I wrote "God Bless America" on it a couple of times? :p

FYI I think there's a similar law in motorsport that nobody ever dies on the track. They always get airlifted out or something and are only pronounced dead at the hospital. The main reason for this is that when someone dies the "crime scene" has to be taped off and that would kinda screw up the race that they're having...and about half a million people watching it there

If writing on money is considered "defacing" I'm not sure it would matter why you're doing it, even if it's to protect yourself.

I'm not sure how the law is worded in the UK, but in the US, it's only a crime if you purposefully mutilated it beyond recognition:

[URL=http://www.moneyfactory.gov/document.cfm/18/104]United States Treasury Bureau of Engraving and Printing[/URL] (emphasis mine) said:
Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

I'm not sure how the law is worded in the UK, but in the US, it's only a crime if you purposefully mutilated it beyond recognition:

In the UK you can get done for any writing and it carries a MASSIVE fine.

British Currency and Bank Notes Act, 1928

If any person prints or stamps or by any like means impresses on any
bank note any words, letters or figures, he shall, in respect of each
offence, be liable on summary conviction to a penalty not exceeding
one pound.