Funny Obselete British Laws Thread

freeferrarisdonotexist

I'm not stupid - I'm British!
Car(s)
Yamaha YBR125 (touring), FG 29er touring bike
As we all know, the UK has many old, stupid and unenforcable laws which, while never used, are still in the records. Post any which you know about.
Mine:
1- It is illegal to eat mince on Christmas
2- A pregnant woman can defecate anywhere she wants
3- It is illegal to die in Parliament
4- You cannot fire a cannon within 50ft of a rural property
5- You cannot wear a suit of armour in Westminster

(All laws are obselete and unenforcable)

It is legal to shoot a Welshman in Chester after midnight.

All men over 16 must practice archery 5 times a week.

Isn't there a law that makes it legal to shoot a Scotsman somewhere?

Isn't there a law that makes it legal to shoot a Scotsman somewhere?

Within 50 feet of a beach on the Isle of Man, I think.

Hence why I've never holidayed there!

Oh, this also :

In Scotland, if someone rings your bell and asks to use your toilet, you are legally obliged to let him.

yeah, that was it. I thought it had to do with "you can only do it on a holiday" or some random shit.
I found a buttload of other stupid (American laws) here.

since it's 8.000 pages long I thought I'd post a linky

Last edited:
In Jersey (Channel Islands) It is legal to kill a frenchman on the beach at a certain time of the year (don't know the specifics).

It?s also against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season on the island of Jersey.

Some UK laws

Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.

In Lancashire, no person is permitted after being asked to stop by a constable on the seashore to incite a dog to bark.

In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.

In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.

The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

Oh and this is part of the wording associated with UK Tax Law

Under the UK?s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don?t want him to know, though you don?t have to tell him anything you don?t mind him knowing.?

yeah, that was it. I thought it had to do with "you can only do it on a holiday" or some random shit.
I found a buttload of other stupid (American laws) here.

since it's 8.000 pages long I thought I'd post a linky

I had never researched stupid American laws. Just did some more reading up on them and it appears we are little different.

In New York, it is illegal to commit suicide- punishable by death.

In Britain, it is treason to put a stamp with the Queen on upside down.

I tried finding weird swedish laws but failed completely.

Having a weird Frenchman with "Death to Royals" tattoed on him as you King perhaps is illegal, oh no it is not!

A local one (Nevada) is that the age of consent is 16, but only for oral sex. Or maybe that excludes oral sex. Either way, I would have loved to have been in that legislative debate...

A local one (Nevada) is that the age of consent is 16, but only for oral sex. Or maybe that excludes oral sex. Either way, I would have loved to have been in that legislative debate...

I don't know if i'd really want to be in a room full of old men discussing oral sex....

The Clinton Excemption?

In the small county my dad comes from, there is a county law stating that '..no one is allowed to destroy county property, neither by explosives or digger [...]'

:)

In the small county my dad comes from, there is a county law stating that '..no one is allowed to destroy county property, neither by explosives or digger [...]'

:)

Didn't someone lob loads of excrement at city hall or something in Norway?

That was the Storting, the Parliament. :)

In Chico, CA, it's a felony to have radioactive material within 500 feet of the city. Wonder what they think of those Americium smoke detectors...

I must admit I get a whif of the Simpsons here. People gather in the town hall, Marge calls out about something slightly dangerous, so it's completely banned.

Just out of curiousity, is this how it's done? Or is it just what it seems, comedy?