Futurama

its funny noticing how the voices are slightly different, especially the professors.

Billy West seems to be relaxing his characterisations; Fry always has essentially been closest to Billy's real voice but now there's less to differentiate it.

loved last nights episode, liked the story and had some great lines

my favourite was

"indubitably, although we call it blue blue shiny ball"

As a cat lover, I enjoyed it. Good episode, but not amazing.

liked the lol cat poster! hahaha

last ep was wicked, i started to watch the first series again and its funny noticing how the voices are slightly different, especially the professors.

I heard that euro-dvds (dunno about tv) have slightly different sound pitch due to 60Hz -> 50Hz conversion.

A lot of the voice change from the first season is due to the voice actors getting into their characters. It is the same for The Simpsons and other cartoons.

[video=youtube;izQB2-Kmiic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic[/video]

I loved that episode. Watched it way too many times. The cat episode, meh.

I srill need to get the specials they did, I have all of the regular episodes on DVD.

I heard that euro-dvds (dunno about tv) have slightly different sound pitch due to 60Hz -> 50Hz conversion.

Yup, it's true. I've got a few PAL-sourced things (including HD Star Wars cable rips) and the pitch is higher as well as the run-time being shorter.

GEEK-SPEAK: Most content is still shot/rendered for film and then telecined. For 60Hz systems from film they do a 3:2 pulldown which repeats a field every 5th, turning 2 frames which should be 4 fields into 5 fields but this leaves the frame rate unaltered. For 50Hz systems they just speed up by 1/24th to fit 24fps into 25fps. Which means the pitch is 1/24th faster and the video is 1/24th faster/shorter.

A lot of the voice change from the first season is due to the voice actors getting into their characters. It is the same for The Simpsons and other cartoons.

Also let's not forget the new batch of episodes come after a 5 year layoff. Katie Sagal is in her mid-late 50s, Billy West is almost 60. That's most of the voices we hear as far as screen time aside from Phil Lamarr and the guy that does Bender.

I've been a big fan of Billy's for 20 years (since he was on Howard Stern) and he's not putting the same oomph into his impressions as he used to but I still think he's top notch. Also Fry is so much like his normal voice I think he's just turned the "wall" between them into a screen door.

Last edited:
Last night was hit or miss for me, but the previous week was really nicely done.

What was Fry using to draw his comic strip? Was that yet another Apple parody or was it just a coincidence it looked like an iPad? He was using a stylus in one scene, but the thing looked so much like an iPad with the volume rocker and home button.

There were plenty of signs in the background in this episode and some are worth pausing for. Here's my favourite:

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2010/08/27/Lrrreconcilable_Ndndifferences__016687_16-07-11_.JPG

So that was it folks... well, until the end of 2010 at any rate.

The Mutants Are Revolting was another okay episode for me, enjoyable but not the funniest of this season. Some jokes fell pretty flat for me, like the whole Land Titanic thing.

I know this season isn't done yet but I'm so far pretty happy with it; sure some episodes were hit or miss but there were plenty of good ones and the rest weren't gouge-your-eyes-out terrible either. All in all pretty good considering they're six seasons in and also that they were off air for so long... I'm just happy they haven't ruined it beyond recognition. I might even put one or two of these recent episodes amongst my all-time favourites, The Prisoner of Benda for sure and probably The Late Philip J. Fry as well.

I'm happy enough with it that I would ask for more. It was overall very hit and miss, but there was enough "hit" that it is worth it. Now if only they had a steady production schedule so they could hit their stride.

Any news on Comedy Central ordering another season?

I think another season is in the works already.

The Holiday Special is this Sunday! November 21, 10PM EST!

Season 6 has been great so far, so I've got my hopes set high.

Last edited:
The Holiday Special is this Sunday! November 21, 10PM EST!

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Ha, I thought you meant next Sunday. Whatever, new Futurama is new Futurama.

Last edited:
I just got around to watching the holiday special... seriously, I hadn't planned to leave it for Christmas.

It wasn't all that awful. Yes it's a little jilting having a non-canonical episode thrown in there, especially if you watched the holiday special when it aired a whole month before the holidays... but it was decent.

I'd probably even say it was quite good if part 1 of 3 wasn't so horribly anti-climactic. But the Robonukah and Kwanzaa segments were alright in my book.

I must say though, I could do without Al Gore.

OT spam

for the android futurama fans

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/02/10/1294092402_top_zoidberd.jpg

on sale at teefury today :D

http://teefury.com/