Future Classic american cars?

MattD1zzl3

2 Slow 2 Noisy
Car(s)
1996 & 2003 Mazda Miatas, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
(Idea stolen from top gear itself)

American cars from the 80's, 90's and even into the 2000's have a bad reputation, some would say rightly so, some would say undeserved. But when it comes right down to it, in 2025 what are going to be the cars we look back fondly on? What "old" cars from the 90's will people drive to car shows covered in wax and clearcoat with a chrome engine bay?

Most of the good cars from the 80s and 90s are already collectible.

I think it would have to be the cars that didn't sell well. Like the new Pontiac GTO.

I'd also say the newest sell-out batch of Shelby Edition Mustangs will be worth something someday. Carol Shelby is an old man and he may not be around much longer, so these last official cars he signs off on may be desirable.

Another thought. Trucks are kinda like the new age Muscle Cars. And with increasing fuel prices and stricter regulations, the higher end models could be worth something as well. Silverado SS, F150 Lightning, Ram SRT10, Powerwagon, etc.

5.0 mustang coupes
Iroc 350 Camaros
Saleen's
Roush's
DRM's
Lingenfelters
Pace car editions
Buick GN's (they already are though)
Trans Am GTA

It doesnt just have to be performance cars, i see the geo metro being looked back on like the original mini of our day, and maybe the (crappy but classic?) PT.Crusier as the new VW Transporter.

The K-Cars.

http://img259.imageshack.**/img259/4568/lebaroner2.jpg

Awwww yeaaa..

ZR-1, Grand Sport, etc

Ah, yea that's true. I was going to say that most of the cool cars in the US are produced in large numbers and don't really hold their value at all, but there are exceptions.

Nothing retro will be a future classic. You would not (nowadays) buy something from the sixties that was designed back then to look like a car from the thirties - you would buy a real proper old one. In forty years people will buy the original Mustang or Beetle, not a nineties one that was designed to look like the original but with nineties' creature comforts.

Stuff like the Audi TT, Porsche Cayenne and Smart Car could all be considered classics in the future.

It doesn't need to be a good car either, I heard somewhere that Pintos of all things were gaining in value.
Here is my quick list:
All Grand Nationals (The GNX is already a classic)
GM B-Bodies (Especially the Impalas)
C5, and C6 Corvettes (Maybe even the C4s, like I said they don't have to be good cars)
Terminator Mustangs (Yea it is 03-04, but close enough)
Mustang SVO
Dodge Viper
1st and 2nd Generation Taurus SHO (late 80s - 95)

In forty years people will buy the original Mustang or Beetle, not a nineties one that was designed to look like the original but with nineties' creature comforts.

What 90s Mustang looked like the original?

90s Mustang:
https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/11/11/mustangside1.jpg

Classic Mustang:
Ford_cz_ubt.JPG

Last edited:
Those weird performance editions of otherwise dreary GMs from the late 80s/early 90s: Oldsmobile Jetfire, Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport RS, Oldsmobile Achieva SCX, Turbo Grand Prix STE, Buick Century Turbo Coupe, Chevrolet Citation X-11, Chevrolet Beretta Indy Pace Car...basically, anything either turbocharged or with the Quad-4 engine.

Why? Because they're depressing cars to begin with, so only weird people are going to see the merit in keeping a high-performance version around just so they can say they enjoy racing their LeSabre Turbo. It's surprising to find out that even something as lowly as the mid-90s Pontiac 6000 STE is capable of actually becoming interesting.

I'd like to think that the Plymouth Prowler will be a future classic. I reckon it's design will hold up. It stands out from the crowd, and it never sold in huge numbers.

I hope, also, the Pontiac GTO (as someone said) - in the 2004-2006 Australian Holden form. I reckon as these cars get rarer, more people will realise that they're great cars and they'll become more popular in the future.

I'd like to think that the Plymouth Prowler will be a future classic. I reckon it's design will hold up. It stands out from the crowd, and it never sold in huge numbers.

Because it sucked! Heavier then it looks and powered by a very weak six-cylinder engine. For something thats pretending to be an old-style sports car i would expect it to be quicker.

I like to think the crown victoria will be a future classic, it might be common as all hell, but they used to say the 60's mustangs were too common to ever be classic.

Last edited:
like to think the crown victoria will be a future classic, it might be common as all hell, but they used to say the 60's mustangs were too common to ever be classic.

You might be right here, as the only full-sized American car on the market since 1996 (Damn you GM) they have become the de-facto taxi/police car.