Future classics

somehow got me a chrome red flag on the way to this page. why?

as did I

Looks like it's caused by somebody's hotlinked picture.

Looks like it's caused by somebody's hotlinked picture.
I think it's that Thunderbird pic that kamenfi posted.

Not a new car but it is still not valued enough as it deserves
0805phr_01_z+1967_chevy_corvair+.jpg

Oh and this thread should be merged with the original one: http://forums.finalgear.com/general-automotive/future-classics-3262/
I don't think anyone would say the Corvair isn't a "classic". And personally I'm fine with them being cheap since I'd like to own one in the near future. :D

This thread was started because of Classic and Sports car magazine.

Last month they said 993, but they said that the 996 turbo is the best bargain on the market. A car which was ?100k a few years ago is now ?30k.
This month the 924/944/968

My picks:
For the Australian market?
The series 2 VT GTS commodore (the one with the Calloway donk).
6770055.jpg

It was a bit of a game changer when it was released in 1999. 400 horses was a figure not seen before on an Australian car (discounting the conservatively quoted power figures of the 70's Bathurst specials) and it pretty much reignited the traditional Ford vs Holden power war.

Unfortuantley not for the Oz market:
The Renault Sport Megane R26r.

r26r.jpg

If we ever see anything else like it from a mainstream manufacturer, I will be some what shocked (and pleasantly surprised)

I love the R26.R! Sadly you're spot on, if we ever see anything like it from a mainsteam manufacturer... I head Renault had a huge problems selling those, and that's not a good indicator. Hopefully they or some another manufacturer will forget this "mistake" someday! :)

imgalfa%20romeo%20brera1.jpg

It's odd that no one mentioned this piece of magnificience. This may be the last proper V6 Alfa Coupe, and it will not transform into a rusty piece of junk after a rainshower like the older ones.
alfa4C_G3.jpg

I can predict this as a future-classics even before the start of manufacturing. A beautiful mid-engined Alfa - it can only happen once in 50 years. Tipo 33 Stradale is now worth millions.
03_new-fiesta_web.jpg

A beautiful Ford. Enough said.
Fiat+Panda+Sporting+10.jpg

Cool little car.

Why the Brera is not a Coupe? Yeah, it does have a hatch, but so does Aston Martin V8 Vantage. It might be based on sedan, but so are most coup?s.

Why the Brera is not a Coupe? Yeah, it does have a hatch, but so does Aston Martin V8 Vantage. It might be based on sedan, but so are most coup?s.

Is this a coupe?

Ford_Focus_3door_2008_3.jpg

No classic coupe worth decent money has ever been based on a saloon. Although i'm hoping somebody proves me wrong.

Thats called a "liftback", and is a characteristic of a coupe, not a hatchback.

I'm kind of tempted to switch my 406 to the Coupe-version, which might or might not be a classic one day after 20 years when it's rare enough. Looks certainly are good enough, but there's still ordinary family saloon under it, and just like in the Brera, that's a huge downside. But in a daily driver that would only mean cheap parts.

This thread was started because of Classic and Sports car magazine.

Last month they said 993, but they said that the 996 turbo is the best bargain on the market. A car which was ?100k a few years ago is now ?30k.
This month the 924/944/968

Indeed, the 993 are now attaining their 'classic' status. Last, and greatest of the air-cooled generation. A used 993 Turbo S or GT2 can even be more expensive than a brand new 997 Turbo. Congratulations in advance to the people who hung on to their 993s, or acquired one when the 996 was new and 993 prices were low.

The 996, however is turning out to be a bit of a crock and it's quite unlikely that will change. Now that the 997 (and it's numeros special editions) are going to be the last of the metzger-engined 911s, the 996 will be relegated to a perpetual 'second-best' of the line. In a way I suppose that's great news for a gearhead who just wants a fast 911.