Future Drivers

You think? Then watch Nascar and stay away from F1, that shouldn't be why you turn on the telly on a Sunday afternoon...

Last edited:
You think? Then watch Nascar and stay away from F1, that shouldn't be why you turn on the telly on a Sunday afternoon...

Never mind him.

We all know who are the real hardcore F1 fans on this forum. F1 is about racing, not crashing into each other. And overtaking is a bonus, it's not required every 5min like NASCAR.

Never mind him.

We all know who are the real hardcore F1 fans on this forum. F1 is about racing, not crashing into each other. And overtaking is a bonus, it's not required every 5min like NASCAR.

on topic of overtaking, been watching motoGP today and btcc. With the amount of overtaking there, its no longer a special moment when someone overtakes.

on topic of overtaking, been watching motoGP today and btcc. With the amount of overtaking there, its no longer a special moment when someone overtakes.

That is the thing with Formula One.
The great thing is watching a driver stalking down another driver, and then a battle which may be laps long to even get a proper chance to get past. The actual overtake is almost an anti-climax sometimes.

The great thing is watching a driver stalking down another driver, and then a battle which may be laps long to even get a proper chance to get past. The actual overtake is almost an anti-climax sometimes.

+1

Couldn't agree more.

That is the thing with Formula One.

word.

That's strange...

For me it's anticlimactic if someone like, say, Barrichello is behind, let's say, Piquet in clearly better machinery but cannot get past. Fair enough, seeing the car behind hunting for place to pass is fun for a while but that wears out reasonably quickly because the car behind has to fall back to save tyres and wait for the car in front to pit so that he can get past. And because it's so hard in most cases it seems like the drivers don't even bother unless they have way better machinery and just wait for the pit stops. Also, because overtaking is so hard you don't need to defend that hard, the aerodynamics do.

Yesterday I saw two spectacular battles for position in cars that can overtake. One was in BTCC where Jason Plato desperately (and succesfully) protected his position against Matt Neal and the other in NASCAR (of all things) where Jimmie Johnson hunted down Tony Stewart few laps before the finish line to take the win.

One was in BTCC where Jason Plato desperately (and succesfully) protected his position against Matt Neal

The race was pretty good. I was worried that Matt Neal is gonna play dirty (typical Matt Neal) and punt Plato out the way, but instead he just nudged Plato slightly. But that is touring car, where you can have a bit of contact here and there, it's a bit too reckless and dangerous to try that kind of overtaking maneuvers in F1.

I'm about to watch it now!

edit. Here's my first issue: Stop filming Max Mosley!! To answer Devon's question: It wasn't half-bad, I'll give it a few more races. Valencia is a tight and technical track built for bikes, so i think we'll see better races on a more car oriented track..

Last edited:
A short list of people I think you'll see in F1 next year that aren't there now:

Brendon Hartley
Bruno Senna
Romain Grosjean
Paul Di Resta
Graham Rahal
Gary Paffett

Admittedly, IMO at least two of those drivers will be in existing cars, possibly as many as four of them.

Anyway...that's worth the money it's not printed on :)

Steve

Bruno Senna

I have my doubts now. It's going to be harder for him to get into F1 after his year in LMP1. I think the only thing that's really going to aid him in that is his name. I think if he was any other first-gen young driver he would be forgotten by the F1 teams at this point.

Brendon Hartley
Bruno Senna
Romain Grosjean
Paul Di Resta
Graham Rahal
Gary Paffett

Romain Grosjean has the highest chance of entering F1, since I think Renault is(should) determined to sack Piquet Jr.

Romain Grosjean has the highest chance of entering F1, since I think Renault is(should) determined to sack Piquet Jr.

But Piquet Jr. has been driving so good!

Yeah, if only it weren't for those damn rookies crashing into him! :shakefist:

:mrgreen: