Future Great Show Ideas For "Gear"

I would like to see something like the $10000 super car challenge (don't need to quote the episode, if you here you probably know it), except less money and muscle cars. It'd be quite relevant in America, yet still open to entertainment. Just the outline of that idea, all the challenges would need to be more relevant to the cars, but I'm sure it could still be good.
Indeed!

"TONIGHT ON FREEDOM-GEAR, WE TEST NOT ONE, BUT THREE NASCAR-VEHICLES!
YEEEEEHAW! USA, USA, USA!"

They should have British hosts vs. American hosts. American cars vs. British cars.

It'll be the Revolutionary War all over again!

Adam Carolla: *steps out of Ford GT* That's right. A supercharged American t-bone steak. Can't get any better than this.
JC: Oh nonsense. What a silly car. I bought one and it was...well... rather terrible. It fell apart like Michael Jacksonian's face. Now, here we have an Aston Martin DB9. A proper British car.
AC: Didn't we buy that from you?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that a ford GT would DEMOLISH a DB9.

And the Ford GT didnt suck by itself, it was a UK-installed security system that apperantly caused all the problems.

I'm pretty sure that a ford GT would DEMOLISH a DB9.

And the Ford GT didnt suck by itself, it was a UK-installed security system that apperantly caused all the problems.

Around the TG test track, yeah, it would. And it did. 1:21.9 for the GT vs. 1:27.1 for the DB9 (unaired lap, but mentioned by the presenters)

But I can't understand how that security system only caused problems for Jezza. Didn't hear any of the other 27 owners complaining.

A better idea for "Gear": investigating the strange car cultures America has. Lowriders, ricers, muscle cars, art cars, "rat" rodders (not a real phrase IMO), monster trucking, flat track racers, illegal soapbox derbys, unicycle drag racing, and hopefully some crazy ones in there. This one's real easy to make boring though, so I don't know if I'd end up watching it.

Also, enter two different racing events:

1.) 24 Hours of LeMons

First, another crazy car culture thing is Sand rails where they slap a big engine on a tube frame and never touch a road while trying to fly off of dunes.

Second, I fully agree with the 24 Hours of LeMons, with the cast having to take their turns at the wheel behind their $500 race car. It would be even better if they went all out on the decorations.

Around the TG test track, yeah, it would. And it did. 1:21.9 for the GT vs. 1:27.1 for the DB9 (unaired lap, but mentioned by the presenters)

But I can't understand how that security system only caused problems for Jezza. Didn't hear any of the other 27 owners complaining.

VAT, Vehicle anti theft, the most annoying thing to go wrong in a car.

Shuts down, alerts the police, doesnt let you turn the key in the ignition if the planets arent aligned just right.

Go to the (soon to be closed) Wixom, MI plant and ask folks who were assembling Ford GT, about what went wrong with the car. Remember A-arm issue?

As for the ideas, okaaay how about discussing ways to import cars which are not sold in NA. You know typical route of registering it as a kit car, race car. Do a story on it.

Thing is NA car market is incredibly dull, so relying on test-drive of cars alone will not do the trick, even if they include typical TG stuff like SIRPC segments. Do stories on automotive industry with more of a comical approach, heck even make fun of American cars a bit in a witty way, make political statements about Republicans even! Use that "Family Guy" approach...meaning being random, but in the end being able to tie everything into automotive related. I hope they'll make this a show for intelligent car fans.

By that I mean, does NBC understand a difference between a motorsport fan vs NASCAR fan? If they do, then I'd advise them to apply the same logic here, or at least utilize parts of it.

Last edited:
I would love to see an Indy Car vs. nascar vs. f1 vs insert other race car duel. It'll never happen but it would be sweet.

Miami to Cuba in amphibious cars would be awesome, esp if they would leave them in cuba when they are done.
I would love to have them compare the turbos of the 80s to modern cars, see a shelby pentastar vs a gti would be so fun.

I would love to see an Indy Car vs. nascar vs. f1 vs insert other race car duel. It'll never happen but it would be sweet.

And a really unfair race. :p

Although for quite a while, Indy Cars were actually making MORE power than F1 cars, although they are a bit heavier due to minimum weight rules and such.

Indy is the NASCAR of open-wheel -- cheap, standardized cars, etc. Honestly I think it's better than F1 as it's designed for more overtaking, etc.

The 'stock car' would be at a serious disadvantage, weighing 3400 pounds and having only 4 gears. That disadvantage would be compounded by only really being able to borrow a NASCAR race vehicle from the Richard Petty Driving Experience, so it'd probably be detuned to about 550hp instead of the 800hp they're currently running in the Cup series.

Gear needs to make itself known by really concentrating on small American car companies, since thats what made top gear so unique was concentrating on cars within the UK mostly and some other small European car companies. For example Saleen is a well known company, but it would be very nice to see one of their cars within the program. As well as the many other small American companies. Another thing that would be good would be using geography and landmarks to the show benefit. Like using that new bridge that is almost done by the Hoover damn, or other unique locations. Making the show a very American thing, and I don't mean in a commercial way, I mean in a the honest way that Top Gear makes itself English. This show holds a lot of potential if it does not over commericalize itself, or water itself down. As well is more focus on drag racing style cars, since that is what America is famous for.

Let's finally settle it! Which car is faster around the track?

Tanner Foust in a Bugatti Veyron vs.
Adam Carolla in a SSC Ultimate Aero

With the Veyron representing one of the finest luxury car engineering feats ever and the SSC representing the most visceral of American engineering, it would be great to see which gets a better perception.
Foust in the Veyron because, well, making a 4000 lb car match the handling of a car half its weight takes considerable skill. Plus, everyone wants to see a Veyron slide don't they?
Adam in the SCC because it's a true driver's car. This fits right into his taste of no-nonsense performance. It's be a hoot seeing him trying to grasp control of the reigns of such an over-powered rocket.

Either do a test on Pikes Peak with some rival AWD cars (evo X vs. sti maybe) or enter the Pikes Peak hill climb

I think this is a brilliant idea.

Another thing that would be good would be using geography and landmarks to the show benefit. Like using that new bridge that is almost done by the Hoover damn, or other unique locations.

Agree as well. Part of what makes top gear so interesting is that they are always coming up with interesting places to review the cars.

Something along the lines of a best road trip car challenge I think would be good. To go along with the idea of a bunch of teenagers that just got their license and are going for a road trip. Using the types of cars teenagers usually drive and seeing which fits the most people, comfortable for long trips, storage etc. Could be done with new cars or as a cheap car challenge.

After living in L.A. for six years, I'd like to know what is the largest vehicle that can be squeezed into a "Compact Only" parking space?

stig vs schumacher
both driving identical cars!

Since its in america, its more likely to get tony over michael, which seeing the stig in tonys car would be pretty interesting, more interesting to the british viewers, let them report on the most powerful motorsport in the world.

tony.jpg