Future Great Show Ideas For "Gear"

$1000 muscle cars for sure...challenges could be LA to Las Vegas on Labor Day weekend, lap of LV speedway, Death Valley to Whitney Portal, and return ?
Stars = Leno, Seinfeld, Charlie Rose(?), Pam Anderson(!), Penn&Teller, Chris Rock, Lindsey Lohan (breathalyzer!), Leonardo DiCaprio, Hugh Hefner, Bush and Cheney, on and on and on! Possibilities are reckless and endless!
Carrera Panamerica?, Gumball, Baja 1000 in a reasonably priced car? Le Mons for sure...
Super car vs. Bicycle, train, bus, ala London, but in Downtown LA rush hour.

needless to say, i am very excited about the series...done being a lurker on this site!

How about a kind of opposite of Top Gear and have a European special where the hosts go across Europe and try and find a cool cheap used European car to roadtrip across Europe? I think it would be cool, but I don't want it to come across as a blantant rip off of the America special. They'd have to do something fundamentally different to make it original. Like instead of buying a used european car, they buy a used american car stateside and import it into Europe to drive. Or maybe squeeze into some tight european super compacts and give the American public some insight into the micro cars of Europe. It would be especially funny if the hosts had no experience driving these type of cars before.

This is my first post here, so I would like to say hello and now its time to get into some of the ideas.

See, I like the idea of heading across the pond, but I would do it in the same comedic fashion that TG did. Give them 1000 GBP to buy piece of junk European cars and have them travel across the UK in them performing certain challenges. Oh and while there take the opportunity to poke fun at their culture as much as they poked fun at ours.

As for some other ideas, I have some of my own:

+Recreate the Bullit chase scene with the Mustang and Challenger (already mentioned before)

+Take the G8 and Charger (maybe even Falcon?) along the same back country roads bootleggers ran that served as the unofficial start of NASCAR. You could call it 'Smokey and the Bandit.'

+ LA to Vegas road trip

+ Time-zone challenge- a race between a car and some mode of public transportation across one of the time zones in the US

+ Boston to DC- car vs train

Also, how about for some good road trips to great roads, three that spring to mind:

California Hwy 1

Oak Creek Canyon (Flagstaff to Sedona, AZ)

Tail of the Dragon, NC

The Africa special is one of my favorite TG episodes. The TGUSA crew should do a similar cheap car challenge in some place like Mexico or in South America. Actually, Cuba would be awesome, but that wont happen.

Last edited:
AMC challenge! The guys would supposedly think that American Motor Corp. built some decent cars while the producers said they were all crap. $2000.00 later hilarity and challenges ensue.

I'd also love them to see a few Mosler cars reviewed as well as Saleen and Steeda.

A couple of musle cars that were iconic in moves have been updated. Like the New Challenger with the V8(Vanishing point) The New Camaro comming out (Smokey) and the Mustang(Bullitt)'. I would like to see the new cars driven through some of the roads from their famous chases.

In regard to challenging the 2.666 - I think the origional TG is usually so slanted regard US cars I think it would be nice to see a objective un biased review of a U.S. car. One real people drive.

A couple of musle cars that were iconic in moves have been updated. Like the New Challenger with the V8(Vanishing point) The New Camaro comming out (Smokey) and the Mustang(Bullitt)'. I would like to see the new cars driven through some of the roads from their famous chases.

In regard to challenging the 2.666 - I think the origional TG is usually so slanted regard US cars I think it would be nice to see a objective un biased review of a U.S. car. One real people drive.

Are you talking about Smokey and the Bandit? Because that was a Trans-Am, not a Camaro. Yes, basically the same car under the sheet metal, but there are (idiotic) people who will kill you for confusing the two. Not too sure what all movies the Camaro was in, outside of the one that got put on its roof in Gumball Rally.

I think the AMC show is a great idea. AMC had a Muscle Matador called the Matador Machine that I heard only one still exists if any. I think it had 400 v8. I would love to see if they could find one.

I think the AMC show is a great idea. AMC had a Muscle Matador called the Matador Machine that I heard only one still exists if any. I think it had 400 v8. I would love to see if they could find one.

The "Machine Go" option was available with either a 360 or a 401 V8. There is one 4-speed 401 confirmed to still exist.

Thanks Lupin IV

There was an article in Top Gear magazine I thought was funny. It had to do with Danica Patick winning in Japan.

Anyway NHRA has a number of woman drag racers, Melanie Troxel, Hillary Will, and Ashley Force. They don't get a fraction of the press. I would like to see a segment on them. Maybe Adam racing them. Ashley is hot

I like the idea of doing a "UK road trip", say down the entire length of the country, ending in London. Challenges including a lap of the UK Top Gear track, insulting slogans painted on their cars, and maybe a gas mileage or speed camera challenge.

Also, I think cheap car challenges in the US would be more challenging if they had $500 to spend on a car instead of $1000.'

They picked the wrong part of the country to tape it in though. They should've picked Northern Michigan.

I like the idea of doing a "UK road trip", say down the entire length of the country, ending in London. Challenges including a lap of the UK Top Gear track, insulting slogans painted on their cars, and maybe a gas mileage or speed camera challenge.

I like that idea. I say take it a step further and drive from Edinburgh to Sicily. That ways, they can drive through England, France, Belgium, Germany (Nurburgring and Autobahn!), Austria, and finally Italy (Autostrada, Stelvio, and Coastal Drives!!!). It would combine the themes from the American Holiday with the Search of the Greatest Road episodes. EPIC!