Future Great Show Ideas For "Gear"

airmenair

This is a dedicated optimistic thread toward the eventual success of Gear in America. :D Presuming Gear passes its pilot and the series kicks off, there will need to be some creative ideas for episodes. So, like many other threads in the Top Gear section, this will serve as the place to share what you want to see happen in Gear. Be creative and have some fun!

My idea(s)

Either do a test on Pikes Peak with some rival AWD cars (evo X vs. sti maybe) or enter the Pikes Peak hill climb

Tour the country looking for the best public use racetrack, best being subjective give points for different aspects of the track, all the while testing some new track type vehicles.

Wear nothing but overalls and drink Pabst Blue Ribbon while blabbing about 3.43 posi rears on their Camaros while telling their cousins to make 'em a sandwich. ;)

Seriously though, they could do a proper road trip across the country, review the new Bullitt Mustang vs. the SRT8 Charger in San Francisco, drive the Ariel Atom to the top of Mt. Washington via the Auto Road, build a snowmobile out of a smart Fortwo, and/or jump a Challenger. The ideas are limitless.

drive the Ariel Atom to the top of Mt. Washington via the Auto Road

I'd have to say that's the scariest road I've ever been on and a perfect place for them to do something.

Also the Park Loop Road in Acadia National Park in Maine, look it up it's a fabulous place. It's on an Island that is basically a Mountain poking up out of the ocean, the road has got every thing and it's about a 20-30mile loop. I can't believe the diverse landscapes on that road, it's just mind boggling to me. They shouldn't definitely go there, heck everyone should go there. :lol:

Have a go at the big three - insist that they get their bloody act together - point out to Ford for instance lead in the key segments in Europe, even against multiple entrenched home manufacturers and the Japanese opposition but are rubbish in NA - ask why.

Have a go at the big three - insist that they get their bloody act together - point out to Ford for instance lead in the key segments in Europe, even against multiple entrenched home manufacturers and the Japanese opposition but are rubbish in NA - ask why.

That'd be an excellent precedent for the show and would create a HUGE impact: on the first episode, verbally abuse the shit out of the Big 2.666667, Lewis Black style, and admonish them to pull their shit together

Of course, they won't have the massive balls to do it. <_<

Wear nothing but overalls and drink Pabst Blue Ribbon while blabbing about 3.43 posi rears on their Camaros while telling their cousins to make 'em a sandwich. ;)

Seriously though, they could do a proper road trip across the country, review the new Bullitt Mustang vs. the SRT8 Charger in San Francisco, drive the Ariel Atom to the top of Mt. Washington via the Auto Road, build a snowmobile out of a smart Fortwo, and/or jump a Challenger. The ideas are limitless.

Paint the new charger up in General Lee style and go for broke (literally)! :)

What about a segment called "inappropriate vehicling" ?

You take three decent cars (or "trucks"), then put them through a couple of tests they're not designed for. Take three pickups and put them on a gokart track and make them set laps. Get trackday toy cars and see how well they do at towing things. See how many people you can cram into the small cars segment - mini, Smart and jazz? Get soccer mums and make them pick up their children in really ugly cars - and so on. Potential for fun, for small amounts of serious reviewing (in the introductory statements) and controversy (when something turns out to be not bad after all - a 'muscle cars on a twisty mountain road' bit, for example).

You take three decent cars (or "trucks"), then put them through a couple of tests they're not designed for. Take three pickups and put them on a gokart track and make them set laps. Get trackday toy cars and see how well they do at towing things. See how many people you can cram into the small cars segment - mini, Smart and jazz? Get soccer mums and make them pick up their children in really ugly cars - and so on. Potential for fun, for small amounts of serious reviewing (in the introductory statements) and controversy (when something turns out to be not bad after all - a 'muscle cars on a twisty mountain road' bit, for example).

Don't they already do that now? :D

on the first episode, verbally abuse the shit out of the Big 2.666667

Which is the two thirds? I have my suspicions that it may be Chrysler...

Given the reaction amongst many of the American FG forum users to anything smaller than a massive 20-foot-long saloon, they should import a Peel P50 and see what the reaction is. Especially in Texas.

Which is the two thirds? I have my suspicions that it may be Chrysler...

Given the reaction amongst many of the American FG forum users to anything smaller than a massive 20-foot-long saloon, they should import a Peel P50 and see what the reaction is. Especially in Texas.

Funny you should mention that I remember reading an article in a magazine (Automobile maybe?) In which they started a roadtrip in a very small Texas town and drove to Florida or some southern state in an Exige. The locals thought it was quite a strange car indeed. :lol:

I'd love to see a segment involving Pikes Peak before the Gottdam Sierra club has it paved. A truly American race that isn't NASCAR. With, rally interest really growing steadily in America for the past decade or so, especially with the younger audiences it would be right up their alley. For the rest, der be dees big rigs, an ya see dey haul ass up dis der big mountin hill in Coleerader.

Haha I like that idea. That would be a good one for Top Gear as well :lol:

I got a great idea, how about they review the cars with a intelligent verve and passion that has never been seen stateside.

To be honest though i'm not opposed to them reviewing cars that people buy, like Ford Fusions, Malibus, Tahoes,etc. So long as they honestly layed into what they didn't like, and explained why.

I demand an entire episode dedicated to the new camaro.

(Aussies, if you mess this one up i will personally glass your entire continent)

I demand an entire episode dedicated to the new camaro.

(Aussies, if you mess this one up i will personally glass your entire continent)

What?

Something involving 18 wheeler big rigs. Maybe a test of a trio of them or something like that. I would enjoy that immensely.

A better idea for "Gear": investigating the strange car cultures America has. Lowriders, ricers, muscle cars, art cars, "rat" rodders (not a real phrase IMO), monster trucking, flat track racers, illegal soapbox derbys, unicycle drag racing, and hopefully some crazy ones in there. This one's real easy to make boring though, so I don't know if I'd end up watching it.

Also, enter two different racing events:

dsc06201.JPG

1.) 24 Hours of LeMons

Floridi_busrace_1476997.jpg

2.) Figure-8 Bus Racing

Hey, I'd pay to see that!