• Front Wheel Drive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Four Wheel Drive

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sir Stiggington

Car(s)
McLaren Mercedes MP4/23 :P
Car manufacturers have been battling with different drivetrain systems, but what do we think, as customers? What is best on a road car: FWD, RWD or 4WD?

If I was in an SUV I'd want 4-wheel drive.

Most other cars, I'd want rear wheel drive, unless I was after a hatchback, in which case I'd be happy with front-wheel drive. edit - mainly as RWD is more fun and easier to powerslide, though I can understand why cars like the Audi Quattros and so on have 4WD.

Except for Smart cars, which are RWD, for some reason...

What kind of Road Car we talking about here. Sports cars or everyday cars.

4WD performance car will spank most RWD cars on UK public roads when racing from point A to B. Plus its better for the wife if its got quite a bit of power.

4wd is actually slower around the corners and the straight because the front end lets loose a lot faster than rwd and the drivetrain takes more power to turn, but for a road car, its definitely my pick. it works in snow, rain, dry, whatever the weather is like, it is always fun. but again it does matter if you are talking about an everyday beater or a sunday cruiser.

For everyday motoring, FWD is all you need. It's economical, compact, light weight, and has forgiving handling. Sure it can't handle mega power, but it can put down 200-250 hp without much trouble and that's really all you'll ever need. May not be the most "fun," but it makes sense.

Since the weather in my area includes snow, and infrequent but heavy rains resulting in greasy roadways I am going to go with 4wd.

If I owned a small car, FWD.

If I owned a big(ish) sedan, RWD.

I will most certainly end up owning a big(ish) sedan (or ute) so I voted for RWD, just seems more practical, safer in my eyes and much more suited to putting the power down in a 6/8cyl sedan.

"FWD is the work of Satan" - James May

Imagine you have a 600+ bhp Pagani Zonda F with FWD.

There should be a clear answer now.

It seems we have a couple of Saab owners on the boards, judging by the poll. ;)

Note: RWD FTW, unless it's a Cord. In which case FWD immediately becomes awesome.

we need to get this clear, are you talking about a dd or something thats not nessasarly your only car?

BerserkerCatSplat said:
It seems we have a couple of Saab owners on the boards, judging by the poll. ;)

Note: RWD FTW, unless it's a Cord. In which case FWD immediately becomes awesome.
Knock it all you want, but I keep up with my friends who drive RWD and AWD cause it's so easy to push my FWD right to the limit. If I over step the mark I just lift off the gas, saw the wheel a bit and it's back under control.

If I had to pick the fastest road car drivetrain it would be electronically controlled AWD, like a Skyline GTR.

If it was in a normal every day car i would take FWD, on a high end 400+hp RWD anything between AWD and i would do some work to it so you can spin the whells:D

Dins said:
"FWD is the work of Satan" - James May

Seconded. I've owned a RWD and currently own a FWD. I'd give anything to have my RWD back, and that's why the FWD is on the market.

I like the driving dynamics of a RWD car. I don't like the torque steer that comes with an Fwd.

As far as a very usable street car, Fwd is superior since you can keep all the driveline up front, well that was the idea when Alec Issigonis did it in the Mini Coopers.
Unfortunately most cars don't seem to take much advantage of the benefit and might as well stick with RWD.

A short wheel base low HP car, works fine with Frontwheel drive, makes it stable, drive a tuned CRX and then imagine if it was mid-engined, would be a hard car to drive. The lack of balance due to the engine being on top or in front of the front axle makes it inferior to a RWD car with the engine properly mounted.

The idea behind ATTESSA on the GT-R's is the best idea yet, RWD until you need the traction, then 4wd.

patrick10 said:
4wd is actually slower around the corners and the straight because the front end lets loose a lot faster than rwd and the drivetrain takes more power to turn, but for a road car, its definitely my pick. it works in snow, rain, dry, whatever the weather is like, it is always fun. but again it does matter if you are talking about an everyday beater or a sunday cruiser.

Not really because of 4wd systems like ATTESSA(SP?). But yeah if you encounter snow, torrential rains and do a bit of semi off roading 4WD is the daddy.

Im surprised RWD is leading because were not talking racings cars, and even then 4WD cars in a mainly RWD competition always won. (See the audi touring cars and R32 GTR race car.)