Game of Thrones

Question: If the winters and summers last many years, how do the people count years?

Question: If the winters and summers last many years, how do the people count years?

I think the years are calculated by the phases of the moon but the seasons can last many years. Early in season one, there is mention of "summer snow".

I think the years are calculated by the phases of the moon but the seasons can last many years. Early in season one, there is mention of "summer snow".

Yeah, but that doesn't make sense, as at that time in the technological development, a year meant a cycle of the seasons. Maybe it has something to do with cycle of the length of the days being a different to the seasons cycle. :dunno:

Yeah, but that doesn't make sense, as at that time in the technological development, a year meant a cycle of the seasons. Maybe it has something to do with cycle of the length of the days being a different to the seasons cycle. :dunno:

I don't know.
I recall in the episode where Robb finds out Theon has taken Winterfell, Roose Bolton tells Robb that his son could take back Winterfell by the next full moon.

Well, that actually helps with night-time visibility without any additional light source, which is crucial for traveling undetected, for instance.

About the finale... I was a little puzzled to see Stannis in his own war room. I had the impression he was captured at the battlefield at the end of ep 9 after he climbed the wall?

Nah, it was his own men who dragged him off.

I was disappointed they didn't include Tyrion's chain. :(

Last edited:
Well, that actually helps with night-time visibility without any additional light source, which is crucial for traveling undetected, for instance.

Why would that matter for a skeleton crew of 20-30 men?

About the finale... I was a little puzzled to see Stannis in his own war room. I had the impression he was captured at the battlefield at the end of ep 9 after he climbed the wall?

In the books, Stannis actually never makes it to land. His ship stays in the back so he can command his army form afar. /spoiler

I was disappointed they didn't include Tyrion's chain. :(

I noticed that too, i didnt read the second book , but while i read the third one a while back, i noticed some differences with the explanations, and i dont think the nose is gone in the series =p

He's got a long diagonal gash across his face and nose, but it wasn't cut off.

In the books, Stannis actually never makes it to land. His ship stays in the back so he can command his army form afar. /spoiler
Wasn't Stannis leading from the land and then picked up by Sallador Saan's ships to get out, since Saan was the rear guard?

I noticed that too, i didnt read the second book , but while i read the third one a while back, i noticed some differences with the explanations, and i dont think the nose is gone in the series =p

They had to take some license with that. As much as it isn't true to the book, I'm not sure how well audiences would take to the star actor being so badly disfigured for the remainder of his role.

April 2013 can't come soon enough. :(

Uuuuuuughgh, that's so far away.

I'm going to be OK with the TV show not airing because I will be reading the books. So far halfway through the first book and I'm connecting more dots than when I rewatched the series. Can't wait to catch up to season 3 in the books, I will know so much more than my friends >:] Then I shall read the other books!

I'm going to be OK with the TV show not airing because I will be reading the books. So far halfway through the first book and I'm connecting more dots than when I rewatched the series. Can't wait to catch up to season 3 in the books, I will know so much more than my friends >:] Then I shall read the other books!

I'm two thirds of the way through the second, and like you I'm looking forward to catching up with, and then reading past the TV series in book three. Book two is sorta bogging down a little now but Tyrion is clearly the best character and most enjoyable chapters to read.