Game of Thrones

Just found this titbit on the www.makinggameofthrones.com blog, which has answered a question that's been plaguing me since rumours of the show started.

I'm Bryan Cogman, and I have the good fortune and honor to be a writer on 'Game of Thrones.' I penned the fourth episode and assisted executive producers/writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss in adapting the sprawling first book of the series into 10 first-season episodes.

So 1 book = 1 season. This should be ever so awesome!

So... tempted... to... click...

NO! I'm waiting until the 17th!

Ehh.. fuck it... *clicks*

So... tempted... to... click...

NO! I'm waiting until the 17th!

Ehh.. fuck it... *clicks*

exactly the same reaction i had when i saw the video for the first time. so tempted to click it, wanted to try and resist until the start of the actual series itself but then caved in. now glad i did because this show looks freaking awesome.

I do wonder what the impression of someone who has read the books are to someone who's just being introduced to the universe.

Well, I plan on watching the show, but have pretty much been tl;dr on most of what was actually said in this thread, So that'll make for a 'new to the universe' opinion.

Well, I plan on watching the show, but have pretty much been tl;dr on most of what was actually said in this thread, So that'll make for a 'new to the universe' opinion.

same here, coming into the series with no knowledge of the books or the general plot. all i know of the series is what i've seen in the trailers and the recent 15 minute preview.

Having read the first 2 books twice and #3 and #4 once, I can tell you that from the previews, behind the scenes videos and interviews, there's very little deviation from the original texts.

Actually i'm planning to stop by my waterstones store tomorrow during my lunch break and see if i can find the first book. does look very interesting.

I've not read the books either, but it looks pretty damn awesome with good production, so I'll let you know what I think of the story - I'm sure it'll be nothing less than entertaining lol

I'm still currently working my way through the first book. About a good 100 pages in now. trying to read the book quick enough to understand it and take it in, while also being able to stay ahead of the tv show. planning on reading a bigger chunk over the weekend before seeing the first episode on Monday.
anyway, i found these pop up on the @GameofThrones twitter feed.
Game of Thrones for Dummies A great little primer to the new series for those who haven't read the books.
also
HBO confident 'Game of Thrones' will get second season: 'We're not nervous' -- EXCLUSIVE
HBO?s lavish fantasy epic Game of Thrones may be the biggest TV gamble in years, but even before the drama premieres Sunday night, odds are favorable that HBO will renew the show. Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss have been told to start thinking about storylines for next season, while HBO series chief Sue Naegle tells EW network executives feel optimistic that the series will get another round.

?We?re not nervous about it,? she says. ?We?re all hopeful for a second season. We?re all feeling confident creatively.?

The bullishness isn?t just about predicting healthy ratings (though success on that front isn?t entirely unlikely either). Subscription-based HBO, Showtime and Starz focus on delivering exclusive and premium content that you can?t find anywhere else rather than mammoth Nielsens. That?s why procedural cop-doctor-laywer dramas (which draw big numbers for broadcasters) are rare on the pay networks ? they?re not considered unique enough.

Thrones is arguably the most ambitious fantasy TV series ever produced and comes with an enthusiastic pre-built fan-base who devoured George R.R. Martin?s bestselling novels. It?s precisely the type of programming HBO believes viewers will pay to see ? on the air, and also in the equally important home video and international distribution marketplace.

Plus, with the first 10-episode season of Thrones costing at least $50 million, the show ranks as one of the more expensive first TV seasons ever produced. The network has scheduled 11 airings of the premiere episode across its six channels during the first 26 hours after its debut. The amount of start-up capital spent bringing the mythical land of Westeros to life makes having only a single season a rather worrisome proposition. Says Naegle: ?You don?t want to see shows like this that are a big investment do one season and out.?

Another, lesser factor is the relationship between the network and the producers on the show and how difficult the production and script development process has been. ?And Thrones has been a dream,? Naegle says.

Still, nothing is set in stone. No matter how much momentum there?s behind the show, or how quality-driven and multi-platform-based the business model, HBO still needs Thrones to deliver a certain number on Sunday nights to continue. And its relatively large budget is a double-edged sword: Thrones ratings need to be stronger than a Treme or an In Treatment or The Wire ? HBO shows that received renewals based largely on critical acclaim. But given the success of True Blood and AMC?s The Walking Dead, high-quality, adult-targeted genre shows on cable have recently proven they can indeed deliver enviable numbers, and strong early reviews suggest Thrones might have what it takes.
Source

Really hope it delivers, i've been really enjoying the book so far and really hope it secures a second season.

I watched download bar never finishes...

Beautifully shot and very interesting. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Unfortunately my free HBO preview ends Tuesday.

Last edited:
wow... just wow... i really have to give thanks to Ice on this one. Not only for introducing me to the tv series but also the books as well.
[video=youtube;6BHYH-91VvM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BHYH-91VvM&hd=1[/video]

It was very good and I enjoyed it immensely. Just the right mix of fantasy and plausibility. I`m looking forward to what I hear described by friends as dark fantasy, ?not that sugar coated fantasy world of Tolkein? (the actual words of one of our computer techs).