Game of Thrones

got_orientation.jpg

I actually like it when a show has the guts to kill off main characters. Of course, you know what they say about too much of a good thing.

I'll spoiler this rant, since I don't want to make any implications that could ruin the show for anyone who hasn't read the books already.
What's bugging me more is that I'm almost done with the 4th book and I still don't know what the hell these books are about. It just seems to be a bunch of things that happen to a bunch of people, most of it seemingly random. I mean, can someone explain to me what the plot is? I keep hearing people say that the author, George R. R. Martin, is the "American Tolkien", but the LOTR had at least some sort of direction, a plot that spans all the books and ties everything together. So far in these Ice and Fire books there hasn't been anything like that. I don't know who is suppose to do what or what the end goal is or where it's going. Instead it's like Character A wants to get to Destination C in-order to accomplish Objective B, but gets sidetracked to Destination D where they either get killed or they get sidetracked somewhere else to accomplish some other unrelated objective that they never actually accomplish before getting killed or sidetracked somewhere else. Gah. This is the first time I've been tempted to just stop reading a book or series of books without any care to ever finding out how it ends. If they cancel the tv show, I really won't care at all, since nothing actually happens... yet, anyway.

The only saving grace is the story line of Daenerys Stormborn, which actually has a real plot that it maintains for more than 25 pages. She wants to return to Westeros and claim her rightful seat on the iron throne and everything she does in the books is working towards that goal. Well, there is something going on in this forth book that has me a bit worried, but I haven't gotten through it just yet.

Last edited:
I've only finished book 2. I have to order the rest. The used book stores can't keep them in stock. To me it's a story of life and death and the chaos that guides it.

306405_1490494119530_1749324577_774797_6311277_n.jpg

Now that is big.

I am currently in the middle of book 4, and I don't like it really, the first 3 books were genius, this one has the feel like he had no clue what to do with the main actors so he just spun loads of side stories and filled them up with lots of information you don't really want (seriously, you can cut like 10 pages from this book by just removing the descriptions of every single armor he mentions, as well he just keeps introducing random characters over lengthy bits just to make them disappear again as random side characters, I like a nicely done universe and atmosphere but in the fourth book it really feels like he needed to fill pages :/). First book was brilliant, second one too, third was just action from beginning to end and the fourth is actually boring me :(. Got to get through it, I heard the fifth was better again..........

Yeah, I felt the same way. The very end of the forth book starts to get interesting, but of course the fifth book pretty much goes back and tells the stories of what other characters were doing during the forth book, so it takes a while to get back to where the forth book ended. It seems like something significant might actually happen, but I'm still waiting.

damn, i still haven't started reading the series...
just finished the name of the wind (highly recommended btw) and got new pratchett material so i'm not free to read this stuff yet... argh... too much to read -.-

As well, spoiler (end of book 3):

OK so I am currently in the middle of book 4 and it is clear that Joffrey planned Bran's murder with the dagger. Tyrion said he killed him, but it is not sure it was him. Have I overread who really killed Joffrey or is not clear yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on buying the first book on the way home. I really got into this series after watching this first season. I normally don't go for the kind of midevil type shows, but this is so well done that its awesome. Plus its easier for me to sleep reading something than watching something on a tv or laptop.

OK so I am currently in the middle of book 4 and it is clear that Joffrey planned Bran's murder with the dagger. Tyrion said he killed him, but it is not sure it was him. Have I overread who really killed Joffrey or is not clear yet?

It becomes a lot more clear later on. As well as a few other things.

Joffrey did do it, Tyrion never confessed to it, he was framed by Joffrey "accidentally", when he just blindly took a dagger from the cache, not caring who it belonged to.

Joffrey did do it, Tyrion never confessed to it, he was framed by Joffrey "accidentally", when he just blindly took a dagger from the cache, not caring who it belonged to.

That I already knew, I was asking more about
Who killed the annoying Joffrey cunt
:)

Found out today that some of the cast of Game of Thrones are coming to my hometown next weekend along with the Iron Throne used in the TV show. Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), James Cosmo (Cmdr Mormont), David Bradley (Lord Frey) and Julian Glover (Grand Maester Pycelle) are all confirmed so far. Normally i don't bother with these things however i'm certainly not going to pass up the chance to see the Iron Throne.

In other news, Peter Dinklage won his Emmy for best supporting actor. There is justice in this world after all!

Most deserved Emmy. I am really happy that real acting still has to count for something.

On a sidenote: Started book 5, finally getting better. No comparison to book 4, which was just a snoozefest & timefiller, it felt like he had no ideas whatsoever to write, only the last 100 pages were interesting.

So far

Book 1: Yay a good medieval fantasy book!
Book 2: Shit is about to hit fan.
Book 3: Y U HATE CHARACTERS SO MUCH??
Book 4: I need more coffee for this shit
Book 5: Now that might be interesting later on

I finished the fifth book a while back and I'm still frustrated with this series. I'm starting to think the author is just milking it at this point. I may just give up on the series and wait until the final book comes out, if it ever does, and just read that. I get the impression that the final book will the one where significant events finally start to occur. Reading about characters wandering around in circles until they die in pointless idiotic ways before they can accomplish anything is getting way too damn boring.