Gaming industry crashing? Clevernoob's comments on the subject

^ You're absolutely right. The WW2 run of CoD was epic, and I'll argue for CoD4 (the first MW) being a good game all day long. But then they got into the habit of making the same game every year and being shit.

The first MW game was cool, but it should have been its own franchise. I don't think it would have done any worse than the success it had. But using a game's name and changing everything except the fact it's a first person shooter... like "here's Age of Empires 4, it's a strategy game where you manage... an ant colony".

Finished watching the video. I don't know if the market will crash entirely, but I do see people getting more weary of what they buy. Even the hardest of fanboys will stop and wait for reviews. I'm pretty sure the pre-order golden age has ended, no matter how many stupid hats the devs throw in.

If/when the gaming crash happens again, it will be ultimately traced back to the success of the Wii. The Wii showed a lot of publishers that the casual gamer will buy any shovelware crap that you put out, and it showed them a new pool of audience. So now publishers are either making poorly made generic games like Battleship or Aliens Colonial Marine or they are trying to milk every dollar out of the casual gamers with on disc DLC like Capcom. But this trend can't continue forever, the moment something shinier/newer comes along, the casual gamers will stop gaming, and the industry will crash. I think if the Wii didn't had the success that it had, gaming would still be a relatively niche thing, and we would be playing less games, but the games would have better quality.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason why the casual games industry can't continue to be successful, though it has to stop growing at some point.