Gaming industry crashing? Clevernoob's comments on the subject

frankiess

Wankel Wanker
Car(s)
MB Coal Mine, Renault Bucket
Yeah, I'm not exactly what you'd call an avid gamer. But I like to follow the industry and check out any interesting titles.

But, since all titles in the last decade have been more or less the 3D-shooter crap with lazy plotlines and such, I haven't bothered. I've actually often wondered how companies such as EA keep themselves afloat. It seems I'm not the only one pondering this.

People, don't pay for crap. Demand quality.

Clevernoob quite nicely sums up the current state of the industry and takes a look into the past and future of Electronic Arts and the big publishers today. Personally I can't see how they plan to survive with this ridiculous business strategy of pissing on the consumers, greedy exploitation, lazy production and ridiculously bad customer management.

It might even be a saving grace if EA crumbled and became an assortment of smaller companies that specialized in their own respective games and niches.

Last edited:
I don't know. I've not played much of the Mass Effects, CODs, and only played the first two Assassin Creeds and yet I game quite a bit. Most of what I have spent my time on is free to play games like PlanetSide 2, War Thunder, Tribes Ascend, etc. All are quality and all are fun. I am not of the belief that modern games are as terrible as he asserts.

I can totally see what he means about games these days degrading in quality. I mean, how often do you see something really, truly new and creative anymore? Where are all of the games like Shadow of the Colossus, Beyond Good and Evil, hell even platformers? (seriously, where did they go?) Companies don't seem to be willing to be adventurous or creative anymore and opt to take the safe, copy/paste route. It's getting really old.

The mainstream is and always has been full of shovelware, and no matter how crap it is, you can't argue against the popularity of Call of Duty etc.

But, there is always enough room for smaller companies to fill in the gaps. It's just a shame that it's not where the money is.

Besides, even in the mainstream there is some good stuff. Forza Motorsport is great fun for a car enthusiast if you can get past the general Xbox-ness. Grand Theft Auto games have proven to be deeper than their surface, and for the truly fringe, there has been a HUGE surge of indie games (that's where all the platformers went ;)).

On top of all that there is a rise in popularity of fully featured games on the free to play model, like the aforementioned Planetside 2, War Thunder (which I am really enjoying in spite of the system), and League of Legends.

Make fun game, give it away, add store with hats, profit.

I haven't purchased a game in years, mainly because I think they take themselves too seriously.

I wish games had a theater mode so you can just watch them like a film without going through the hassle of actually playing them. :p

I haven't purchased a game in years, mainly because I think they take themselves too seriously.

I wish games had a theater mode so you can just watch them like a film without going through the hassle of actually playing them. :p

I've done that with some games by just watching "let's plays" on youtube, but then you've got someone talking over it most of the time (although sometimes that makes it even more entertaining).

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
I've done that with some games by just watching "let's Plays" on youtube, but then you've got someone talking over it most of the time (although sometimes that makes it even more entertaining).

I never thought to search for stuff like that on YouTube, I'm gonna have to give that a shot.

I never thought to search for stuff like that on YouTube, I'm gonna have to give that a shot.

If you find someone (or a group) that is funny, it can be a way to enjoy a game you'd otherwise not play. I've certainly done it for a few.

But it sounds like you should just watch a movie or a season of a TV show :p

But it sounds like you should just watch a movie or a season of a TV show :p

What do you think I've been doing my whole life?! :p

Thing is, SciFi is my favorite genre and it seems like there is a lot more killer looking games in that genre than movies recently. Bums me out. Wouldn't be too bad if the games were packed with cheat codes and they didn't punish you for using them.

I don't agree with a lot of his points, but he made one important one: the cost of games. $60 is far too much in this economy.

I will add that the popularity of Apple and Android phones and tablets will give consoles a hefty challenge. Nintendo's biggest money makers are their portables, but the reasons to buy one aren't that many with the popularity of smart phones and tablets.

I am not of the belief that modern games are as terrible as he asserts.

I believe they are, and it's a combination of what Clever Noob were saying about the short development times to make a quick buck, as well as preordering (why would they give a shit when they've paid for nost, if not all of their own costs in preorders alone?), and DLC being used to fix the shoddy product the publisher brought out rather than add new content.

All we as consumers can do is stop preordering and wait for the game to be released first to see if it's any good. I was looking forward to both Aliens: colonial marines and SimCity, but I dont own either of these titles because of the piss poor consumer reaction. I've saved myself $150 or so, and importantly, that's $150 EA wont be getting from me to continue their shitty behaviour.

I actually don't agree with very much of what he's said. When it comes to the industry, no I don't agree that even those games he mentioned were actually bad. As a game Mass Effect 3 was extremely good, was it disappointing, yes but the vast majority of the time I played that game was great. Star Wars The Old Republic, again its not a bad game, it did bring something very good to the MMO scene, that being the main storyline. That game's major failing is the lack of re-playability, once you finish your main quest...you're practically done, not that it was too close to WoW. If he wanted an example of a franchise EA almost ruined, C&C4 is a easy one, that game sucked. One reason EA is still a giant is not because they make lousy games, its because they actually make very good games but their business practices are utterly awful.

I don't like how he brought stock prices into the mix either. Yes, every gaming company is suffering, but its not entirely due to making low quality games but more to do with this thing called the global recession. A lot of people have less money than they did before. The core gaming audience being young adults are extremely vulnerable with youth unemployment being very high in general. When you have so few gamers who can actually buy new games, you have to be reasonable to see that releasing any new IP is going to be risky for any company. Launching a new IP is very expensive and has no guarantee of success, again in such bad economic times its pretty obvious that sequels are going to be something they're more eager to do. Fortunately the Indie gaming scene can provide here, they pretty much are forced to make new IPs to even stand a chance so its not all doom and gloom there.

Now, where I do agree is on DLC. However DLC is not the big enemy here but rather its pre-orders which I'm confused at why he left that completely out. Pre-orders do make game companies a lot lazier, and due to this practice people will be buying a game where they may love it...or hate it before knowing or having reviews to at least help them not buy it blindly. If EA releases any game and it gets 5 million pre-orders, that game is an easy success...it could be the worst game ever made but the pre-orders meant that EA will be doing more stuff like that. Most pre-order incentives also suck. Now, as for DLC, yes a lot of it is indeed utter rubbish. The only DLC worth buying is anything that expands on top of the original content. I'm ok with DLC that are primarily skins, that's fine.

I just don't see another game crash, at least not for core games. If there's a rot in core games, I do think its the modern military shooters that suffer the most. Their single player sections are usually pretty terrible, medal of honor warfighter has a utterly lousy one. If they do such a poor effort at single player...just eliminate it, slash the price and just release the multi-player portion on its own. I am in agreement where I do think game publishers and developers should not rush games into the market. Rushing causes two problems, either they're just plain not finished like Mass Effect 3, or they come out technically finished...but a buggy mess like XCOM. I don't like either, if Mass Effect 3 was given another month or so, it could've well been one of the best games ever made. As for buggy games like XCOM, at least patches will eventually fix these, although again I rather they bug test it thoroughly rather than release it early. As for a crash I do see happening...its in casual games. Facebook games and mobile device games, essentially Zynga and similar companies, they release a lot of crap and somehow succeed. I don't know about you, but when I had my old iPhone 3G I was excited about the prospects of gaming on it...but eventually I got bored of all the games on it in about 20 minutes leaving the only games I liked on it, card games. I hate gaming on my phone and gaming on Facebook was utterly dreadful. No, I don't get the Angry Birds craze, I got bored of that one in 5 minutes actually.

Make fun game, give it away, add store with hats, profit.

True story, there's at least six people who make six figures from the handful of hats they got into tf2. I read an article about it. Too lazy to find it again, deal.

I've done that with some games by just watching "let's Plays" on youtube, but then you've got someone talking over it most of the time (although sometimes that makes it even more entertaining).

I like 'Birgirpall'. He's the guy who made the two "Poonikins" videos.

I think we'll see an opposite of a crash; instead, I think we are looking at the beginning of a gaming renaissance as indy and crowd-sourced games become more and more popular. There might be a crash of bland military shooters, but I wouldn't mind that.

Interesting Vid. I disagree with a lot said in it, but interesting no less.

The Problem is choice hype. I?m always a bit amused when people fall for the hype made for a game (or movie, same problem) and then are dissapointed when having actually played it. Don?t belive the hype. Otherwise the problem is not really that big. I don?t really see a crash coming, more a shift in the industry. Companies will have to decide what they want to do. Big monumental movie-like games with epic stories, small casual games with DLC or even the "free to play"- but pay for every shit little thing - nonsense.
The Problem right now is more or less that the companies really haven?t decided where they want to go and be in a couple of years and they turn out shit that is some sort of disgusting hybrid.

Also criticing EA for their sports franchises for only being small updates every year not completly new games? LOOOOOOOOOL. Did anyone actually think Fifa 13 was anything else then Fifa 12 and bought it because he or she thought so? You don?t buy stuff like Fifa or NBA every year. If you?re into that sort of stuff you buy them every 4 or 5 years. You?d classify for a trip to the mental asylum if you actually pay full price (or even better - on launch day with overnight express shipping) for the latest fifa NBA or whatever if you already own last years model.

Actual real world game retailers will die. Even without stricter policies regarding playing used games on different consoles the well made online markets will bleed those stores dry. Physical mediums for games will more or less dissapear. Said stricter policies will only speed up the process. You don?t need a crystal ball to see that these retailers won?t make it into 2020.

Last edited:
Can I just step in and defend the honor of Call of Duty please...
It has become like the defining term for a pretty shit game that somehow the masses love and are addicted to. But for those with a good memory, Call of Duty was a great WW2 shooter before Activision, doing what all of the big stupid publisher houses do, decided to ruin it. There was gonna be this new title called Modern Warfare, totally separate from Call of Duty, but in all their wisdom decided that the best marketing strategy was to 'piggyback' on an already existing franchised, practically pissing on its concept entirely and its fanbase. So now Call of Duty is the synonym for another game entirely, the game we all love to hate.

That being said, the really creative stuff is coming, as it's expected, from indie developers. The problem is that while people try new things under a budget, the mainstream craves more hugely overproduced titles which innovate very little, because the people calling the shots are marketers and not gamers.