(Gaming-)Keyboard

Blayde

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'06 Honda Civic EXi, '11 Kia Sportage EX
Inspired by Thomas' thread, I thought i'd ask here for opinions on replacing my keyboard.

What I have:
Logitech G110 gaming keyboard (click for image)
Logitech Performance MX Mouse
Razer eXactMat mousepad

The problem is that since i had a new table built, the keyboard feels... shit, it's fine for gaming, but there are problems, they keys are too tall, everytime I type i make more mistakes than i've ever made, and I type pretty fast, this keyboard doesnt seem to let me do that. It was fine before because I was using the laptop mainly for browsing and this for gaming, but now im using this all the time for browsing, so i need both comfortable keys and gaming ergonomics.

What I want from the new keyboard:

1]Full size layout, not a fan of scrunched keyboards or the ones where the end and up arrow have no space between them, or ones with a lack of numpad
2] Flatter/lower keys, ones that aren't so tall
3] Preferably not clicky, i see you there Cherry MX Blue fans!
4] At least basic media controls, play pause, next, mute.
5] No real need for macro/gaming keys/anything gamer specific. I play battlefield type games, RTS and 3rd person RPGs like D3 and Torchlight, Im not an MMO player so i dont NEED any specialty stuff, If it comes with it i dont mind.
6] Backlit if possible
7] Non ghosting, many keyboards apparently because they are non gamer specific have this issue of having common key sets blocked, like mentioned below

I was looking at the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, it looks very nice but consistent complaints about ghosting keys and the w-shift-spacebar combination disabled, which is important, it worked on older versions but not on the latest revision... nice work Logitech.

It looks very nice and my perfect keyboard would be that with the ghosting problems fixed, so something similar

Halp me FG Gamers.

Closest i could find on my own that matched most of what I want is the MS Sidewinder X4, will look into it on reliability. The Razer Lycosa also looks promising, matches most of what i want

Last edited:
Was going to suggest the Razer Blackwidow that I have until I saw the part about clicky keys, balls to you then. :p

The Razer Lycosa has flatter laptop-style keys (which I'm also a fan of myself, prefer the feel of Cherry MX Blue though) but I can't comment on what it's like to use.

If you don't want clicky keys, I'd first say get one with them anyway, and then suggest whatever you like the look of from Logitech or Microsoft. My previous keyboard was the Logitech Illuminated and I rather liked it.

If you don't want clicky keys, I'd first say get one with them anyway, and then suggest whatever you like the look of from Logitech or Microsoft. My previous keyboard was the Logitech Illuminated and I rather liked it.

that... makes no sense, why would i get one with clicky keys, something i dont want...

Because they're better. Also, there are other types of mechanical keys besides blues, which have less resistance and such. They do all probably have more travel than you want though.

Because they're better.

Don't be an elitist. There's a reason Cherry reds and blacks exist.

Are you looking for mechanical or not? Do you need a numpad? You can get a tenkeyless mech keyboard for less than the G110.

going to look at the lycosa at a shop now, if i like it im probably buying it. Still havent heard any actual alternatives/options :/

Don't be an elitist. There's a reason Cherry reds and blacks exist.

Are you looking for mechanical or not? Do you need a numpad? You can get a tenkeyless mech keyboard for less than the G110.

I was referring to reds and blacks when I said "less resistance and such", I was just too lazy to look things up. As for being elitist, I suppose I should have put a smiley face in there to avoid offending anyone's delicate sensibilities :p

So? Did you buy the Lycosa? You can't just not tell us. :p

I bought it... and returned it, it just wasnt for me :p

lucky they refunded me the full amount :D

I bought it... and returned it, it just wasnt for me :p

lucky they refunded me the full amount :D

Shame, and good. It certainly can pay to buy from a shop instead of online.

I think the need for low profile keys will always be the stumbling block, because in most cases mechanical = tall keys. Maybe try some of the high end Logitech keyboards with flatter keys, my previous keyboard was the s510 (which is actually a desktop set but whatever) and that had lower profile keys. I wouldn't call it a gaming keyboard but it was quite nice to use. :)

I really do like my Logitech Wireless Illuminated. It has the flatter laptop style keys, and more than enough functionality. So much so that it is hard for me to replace it, even with a mechanical one, which I sorely want.

I game on it as well, and while I do get key-blocking it's not as bad as you think. The very basic combinations work (WASD + Shift + Space) and only when you start to get 2-3 keys beyond that does it start to really become an issue. My WASD keys are worn shiny, without any loss in the lettering of the key.

That's what I had before the Illuminated, Also liked it, though the Illuminated was better, I think. It's a shame shipping is so expensive. My poor dejected Illuminated is sitting right next to me, sad and unused.

EDIT: ninja'd. I was saying I had the S510, not the wireless.

Last edited:
I've had a Logitech G15(older model) for years. Still works like new, got it for battlefield 2.
Only the silver trim has worn around the WSAD keys. :D