• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Gaming Wheel

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
So I've given in and I'm gonna get one. I don't really thing I need to spend the extra money to get a force feedback and I usually drive automatic, but having like paddle shifters or something would be cool.

Any recommendations? Here's a few I found:

Saitek R100 Sports Wheel @ NewEgg

A ton on Amazon, but I'm only interested in buying a new one directly from Amazon and not from one of the other companies or people that sell there

I've been thinking exactly the same thing. I just can't play simulation racing games with the arrow keys.

I've seen one kind that comes with seat and pedals, but that might be over the top, not to mention expensive.

Would you mind letting me know what you decide?

I got myself Logitech momo racing force (the one you can see in "post your picture" thread), and was more than happy with it. I personally think FF is great. And not just for effects, but for "feel" of the road (especially in NFS:pU). Now I feel very uncomfortable playing without FF. Shifting "stick" is pretty useless IMHO, I use it for handbraking, but paddles are must. Once you get used to manual box, there's no return :)

MXM said:
I got myself Logitech momo racing force (the one you can see in "post your picture" thread), and was more than happy with it. I personally think FF is great. And not just for effects, but for "feel" of the road (especially in NFS:pU). Now I feel very uncomfortable playing without FF. Shifting "stick" is pretty useless IMHO, I use it for handbraking, but paddles are must. Once you get used to manual box, there's no return :)
This one? http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=26-128-006&depa=0

Really worth the money?

Yep, that' the one. It feels pretty solid, and feedback is probably the best of all I tried. I got a used one for about 50$ thou, so that's not bad value for money.

I got myself a thrustmaster F1 a couple of years ago and it's still going strong. They don't make my model anymore, I think it's called the enzo now.

The main reason I bought it was for the force feedback and the fact it had the most powerful motor you could buy in an FF steering wheel.

At first I noticed my laptimes got slightly slower, but after getting used it I was knocking 5 sec's off a lap. I think the biggest prover was actually managing to complete and win races on grand prix legends.. jes that game is hardcore!!!!

The nice thing about the wheel is the you get a stick shift and paddles, so I general assign the handrake to the stick shift and the paddles work the gears.

hum, just read MXM's comments and basically just repeated what he said, $79 sound great value to me I think I paid ?120 for mine. but to answer you qustion yes they are worth it, they make a great game amazing and when you crash the steering goes ape shit :D

happy gaming

ruu

My only experience with the cheaper steering wheels is that they break easily.
The more expensive ones break too, it just takes a couple of years as opposed to months.
Personally, I'm still looking for an original Logitech Momo wheel, unfortunately, they stopped making them and can't find them anywhere.
They now have the new Momo wheel which is cheaper, but also feels cheaper.
Until recently, I had only seen it for about $85, but here's one for $50 after a rebate:
http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?refer=bizrate&id=1003329

Here's a review of josticks and wheels (it's 2 years old though, but it has the new Momo):
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20021205/index.html

One thing I like about Logitech is the software that comes with it, you can set the sensitivity of each axis, and do things like invert an axis, and report combined or separate axis for the brake / gas pedal.
All these and many more settings can all be set on a game to game basis.

EDIT: I'm pretty hard on my steering wheels, on average, I probably spend a few hours a day using it, and it's mostly rally games (which often has quite a bit of steering input).

ruuman said:
I got myself a thrustmaster F1 a couple of years ago and it's still going strong. They don't make my model anymore, I think it's called the enzo now.

That's the other one I liked, as far as I remember... But it was a bit too expensive, so I ended up with black momo.

that's an aweful wheel, get a momo racing one, I got mine for really cheap and its a good one. or even a microsoft one..

Just placed my order for the Momo. 8)

i had a ferrari one but then someone broke it =.=" it was a good one. very solid and good force feed back. it was kinda old as it used pins but it was damm nice.

btw, there is a logitech one that fits more than computer i tihnk it works with ps2 and consoles too so it be a good one to buy.

I'm going to play Richard Burns Rally and GTR using the new wheel.

I want a wheel that will work with PS2s and PCs, definately want one for Gran Turismo 4, which I plan to import from Japan (wish some1 could help me with translations :(). Also, I'd like to have some sort of force feedback, I remember playing Daytona in the arcades when I was younger and I loved the effect when you hit the wall where the wheel jolts back to the centre, do any wheels do this? A flappy paddle system would be nice too.

ESPNSTI said:
I'm going to play Richard Burns Rally and GTR using the new wheel.
Same, plus some other games. :D

RBR sadly doesn't work on my system :(
Original or cracked exe makes an "application error" because of performing some "illegal instructions". Googled for answer, and found that some people had these kind of problems too, but solved them by upgrading BIOS. Well, that didn't work for me. Installing new DirectX now, although RBR should be running with DX9.0b.

EDIT: ESPNSTI, put some other song playing. This one screws up my screen. I hate vertical scroolling :)

He should also update to the latest official Gerpok plugin. ;)

On a side note, woo! I didn't realize that the MOMO has paddel shifters! :D This thing is gonna rock! :D