Garage Woolery: My 2007 Ariel Atom 2

Mr.Woolery

Car(s)
2007 Ariel Atom, 2006 Exige, 1990 Miata, others
This is my 2007 Ariel Atom 2. It's been modified in several ways to improve on some of the factory design shortcomings, including some changes to the suspension, wheels/tires, lighting, among other things.

Proof pics:
Img_0317.jpg

Img_0318.jpg

And some other pics of the car:
img_0091.jpg

img_0093.jpg

flipoff.jpg

And this picture led to my 15 minutes of internet fame:
vader-atom.jpg

:drool: all black too...

with that in your garage, you're very welcome here, i can tell you that! :wave:

Holy. Crap!

I love this car so much. "Wierdo" = lulz, too.

Last edited:
I don't think you have enough cars, Darth Vader guy.

Do you drive it on the track?

This is my 2007 Ariel Atom 2. It's been modified in several ways to improve on some of the factory design shortcomings, including some changes to the suspension, wheels/tires, lighting, among other things.
Really nice, is it as good as everyone claims? Can you specify the factory design shortcomings? And why did you take off the fenders?

nice! is that the V8? (i think that's the only one that came with wings from factory?)

This is BEYOND awesome too bad I must spread some force before giving it to you again.

Really nice, is it as good as everyone claims? Can you specify the factory design shortcomings? And why did you take off the fenders?

From the factory, it was almost (like 99.999%) as good as everyone claims. With the modifications I've done to address the design shortcomings, it's much, MUCH better. :)

Some of the factory shortcomings I've addressed:

Exhaust - The factory exhaust system was too restrictive and was prone to leaks at flex joints. In the case of this system, the factory literally were guilty of "thinking inside the box" in that they ensured the exhaust path was totally contained within the frame of the car. This meant that they created a restrictive "rams head" header and an exhaust path that contained unnecessary restrictions and turns before reaching the muffler. Flex joints were poor placed so that they were subjected to stresses that led to failure. They also skimped on the fastening hardware which made removing the system a pain in the ass. My exhaust system allows for a couple of turns to happen outside the frame of the car, which in turn allows larger diameter tubing, less turns, and larger radii to the turns I do have. It also uses better coupling hardware and is configurable for street or track use through the addition of aftermufflers that simply clamp onto the main muffler at the tips.

Suspension - The factory rear uprights, although light weight, have had several reports of hub failures, and go through bearings like a kid goes though Wonka bars, even on stock rubber. Despite my religious monitoring and preventative efforts, my rear hubs starting showing fatigue issues at only 12,000 miles. As a result, I upgraded to much larger and stronger specialized billet rear hubs that have totally addressed this situation. It has also allowed me to run wider and stickier rubber on the rear. I also changed out the bellcranks, upsized the pushrods and rod ends, changed the spring rates at the rear, removed the helper springs (which were unnecessary and only created chatter), installed spring perch bearings, and inverted the shocks to reduce unsprung weight. These changes made the car much surer on the road and allow for higher limits without getting squirrely at the limits.

Rubber - The original factory rear tires were limited to only 225 width tires, and those who went wider ran the risk of rear hub problems under heavy racing use. With the uprated suspension, I was able to upsize the rear tires to 275 widths (so far) and expect that I'll be able to go to 315 widths or even use Formula Atlantic rubber without risk to the suspension bits. Going wide on the rear rubber has been track proven on the Atom to greatly increase its handling limits and capabilities, as well as reducing power-on oversteer...this means faster turn exits. The first time I drove my Atom after uprating the suspension/rubber, I couldn't stop giggling during the test drive--the improvement was THAT big :lol:

Lighting - From the factory, the Atom's lighting is very basic and has a very "tacked on" look. So far, I've converted all the lighting (except for the headlights) to LED, as well as relocating the front lights so that they're more elegantly and aerodynamically placed. I'm still investigating headlight solutions though.

I'm currently looking into aerodynamic modifications to help make the car more slippery (top end speed) and to create more downforce (grip). Thus far, I've made some side panels out of carbon fiber to help clean up the fuselage. Currently the fenders are removed because the factory front fenders create lift, and the rear wheels are too wide for the OEM fenders (though I now have wider fenders that'll fit, I've been dragging ass in implementing them because I like running without fenders). There are aerodynamic & unsprung weight benefits to running without fenders, as well.

There are other aero projects in the works, too, but I am not at liberty to discuss them yet.

One assumes it is the GM engined, NA built Atom? All in black -> COOL!

It is the GM engined Atom, but it is not normally aspirated. The engine used in this car is the 2.0L supercharged Ecotec.

Why did I go with the Ecotec for this car instead of the Honda powerplant?-At the time of my ordering the car, the Honda powerplant was not equipped with engine vibration dampening technology. Since the engine is directly bolted to the frame, a Honda powered Atom is subjected to more chassis vibration/NVH than an Ecotec equipped Atom. Honda powered Atoms have, as a result, little vibration related issues cropping up here and there (light bulbs shaking themselves to failure, etc). The Ecotec has antivibration technology incorporated into the engine, so it is very smooth running despite being solidly mounted to the frame.

-Lateral weight distribution: Since the US Atoms are LHD, the Ecotec's lateral weight distribution is better with the driver in place than a Honda Atom that is also LHD.

-The Ecotec had more torque than the Honda powerplant. Since the Atom's performance profile (acceleration vs. top speed) favors torque over HP, the Ecotec seemed a better choice here.

Other little factoids about this car:
-It is Brammo chassis #13, but the Brammo PIN(kinda like a VIN) ends in 0002.
-It was the second car built for a California owner (me). The first US Atom destined to CA went to Jay Leno.
-It is the first ALL black Atom. The factory didn't want to make an all black Atom, and I had to argue with the factory to get them to do it. It ended up being so popular that other black Atoms soon followed.
-It is one of the very few Atoms that is equipped with an ambidexterous chassis. It can be converted from LHD to RHD with just a few hours of work relocating the pedals/steering/dash.
-It is the first Atom with CF wings

Last edited: