Gear Knobs

Maybe I should have put a harrumph or two in my comment? :dunno:

There is evidence aplenty of lurking here by Wilman and May at least.

If that is so then I want to encourage James to do another installment of his youtube channel; keeping this up will help keep touch with the rest of us as well as providing a little light relief in what is proving to be a dry desert until the new show is up and running.

How about Nobby and Big Gears?

Last edited:
That would be Bi Gears surely?

Speedbird = Female stig?

I like it.

Speedbird is a trademark owned by British Airways. Won't happen.

No it isn't. It's a call sign used by their pilots in radio communication and most people who have flown with BA probably don't even know that. This why the newly formed company of W Chump and Sons Limited has been able to register it as their own.

BA may decide to flex their lawyers but if they do they are likely to find that Amazon's counsels are bigger, more numerous and a hell of a lot more expensive. If anything it's likely to work in BA's favour once that gets out as it may put their name into more people's conscience. Sadly big corporates don't often consider such things before firing off a broadside of attorneys.

Fair. I am however not sure if they really would go with another Stig concept with their new show?

I'm less concerned with that and more about the use of the expression. Some people are speculating that this could be a female Stig clone but I would very much doubt it. If it is then they are grossly misjudging what is considered appropriate. Referring to women as "birds" was old hat 20 years ago and in these enlightened times would be frowned upon heavily. I know the guys like to sail close to the wind but even they aren't likely to use the word in that context.

A tame racing driver dressed as a penguin on the other hand....

A tame racing driver dressed as a penguin on the other hand....

Ooh, if they go that route, they need to get Benedict Cumberbatch to do the announcing. "Penguin" is his most favourite word to try and pronounce. *G*

grossly misjudging what is considered appropriate
From a Clarkson-headed enterprise now completely unchecked by BBC caution? Perish the thought.

From a Clarkson-headed enterprise now completely unchecked by BBC caution? Perish the thought.

I hear what you're saying but there needs to be a certain number of checks and balances. Clarkson may have this long cultivated "boorish oaf" persona but he isn't stupid. I could turn out to be wrong of course but I can assure you that if they start using "bird" to refer to a female you can bet your backside to a burrito there will be a massive backlash.

Yeah, I hope I'm wrong too. I also didn't realize "bird" was still that offensive; I was under the impression that it's archaic enough to be harmless, but my media-biased perspective is very removed from current UK experience.

Yeah, I hope I'm wrong too. I also didn't realize "bird" was still that offensive; I was under the impression that it's archaic enough to be harmless, but my media-biased perspective is very removed from current UK experience.

Let's just say it would be almost as bad as the Pope getting caught referring to a choirboy as a "fine piece of ass".