Geely buys 49.9% of Proton and 51% of Lotus

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Geely [GEELY.UL], the owner of Sweden's Volvo Car Group, on Wednesday said it would buy 49.9 percent of struggling Malaysian carmaker Proton from conglomerate DRB-HICOM Bhd (DRBM.KL), marking the Chinese automaker's first push into Southeast Asia.

Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co Ltd, parent of Hong Kong-based Geely Automobile Holdings Ltd (0175.HK), will also acquire 51 percent of Proton's stake in British car maker Lotus, the companies said, without disclosing the value of the deals.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-proton-m-a-geely-idUSKBN18K0HE

A little surprised this is Geely's first push into southeast Asia, since they've already got a decent presence over here.

Everything will be Geely soon...

Two words:

LOTUS-Y POLESTARS.

But seriously, I think that Geely has found a good way to make their way into overseas markets through an independent marque with relative autonomy and good support. Imagining what that could mean for Lotus is really exciting.

This is rather good news. Volvo have flourished under Geely.
I do wonder how this will affect the Toyota engine supply though. The current Camry V6 is somehow one the more musical engines on sale today.

It is amusing how a brand perceived to be boring and uninspiring can provide the engine for one of the most praised and better-sounding sportscars sold today. :lol:

It is amusing how a brand perceived to be boring and uninspiring can provide the engine for one of the most praised and better-sounding sportscars sold today. :lol:

That's because they got Yamaha to design it for them. Yamaha's been doing a lot of Toyota's engine designs of late.

Did Yamaha have a hand in that one though?
Either way, as Volvo don't do anything larger than a 2lt four now, it will be interesting to see where the engines will come from.
I would have been on board for the old five banger in the back. THAT was a great sounding engine.

Did Yamaha have a hand in that one though?
Either way, as Volvo don't do anything larger than a 2lt four now, it will be interesting to see where the engines will come from.
I would have been on board for the old five banger in the back. THAT was a great sounding engine.

OOoh, I like the way you think...Inline-5 Exige?
stop-my-penis-ezulzv.jpg