General Anime Thread

So, what's everyone watching this season?

For me it's five shows, Konosuba 2, Little Witch Academia, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Demi-Chan and Seiren. Enjoying all so far.

EDIT: Forgot Demi-Chan.

Last edited:
Konosuba 2, Gabriel Dropout and Demi-chan are what im watching so far. Im also trying to go back and watch the series that i meant to watch in previous seasons but didn't. Flip Flappers is first on that list right now.

Quality is pretty high this season :D

Love Little Witch Academia Gab Dropout and Demi-chan. Other than the ones you guys mentioned I will also be picking up Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 because I enjoyed the first season. Kuzu no Honkai seems to be a messed up romance anime that seems interesting so far. Fuuka and Urara Meirochou didn't leave good impresstions, will be dropping them.

The Glory Gospel Singers - Cruel Angel's Thesis (Song starts at around 2:00)

[video=youtube;tI-g7un9lEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI-g7un9lEE&t=1m59s[/video]

CHU CHU YEAH!

Why is everything about Maid Dragon soo good?

Also, only been able to keep up with Maid Dragon, KonoSuba 2 and Demi-Chan this season, unfortunatly there is no legot way to watch Little Witch and Seiren in the UK.

Last edited:
Also, only been able to keep up with Maid Dragon, KonoSuba 2 and Demi-Chan this season, unfortunately there is no legot way to watch Little Witch and Seiren in the UK.

Looked up which OP/EDs fhana has done and surprisingly quite of those animes I really like. Uchouten Kazoku, Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou, Witch Craft Works, Gingitusne.

I'm about midway on Seiren and it's a disappointment. Went with some expectation because of Amagami, but Seiren is crap. LWA, you should watch! You are on Finalgear you should know where to find them :p Iusecough9anime.tocough

Last edited:
Saw Your Name recently. I am a big fan of 5cm per seconds and The Place Promised in Our Early Days by the same writer/director.

While generally quite entertaining and visually awesome - I was surprised how much the film borrows from (especially) 5cm per seconds concerning images. At the End I wasn't even sure which of the two movies I was watching and if they hadn't slipped actual 5cm per second footage into this one ...

Hey guys,

started to watch some anime for the 1st time (if we don't count The Animatrix in the day). Googled "the best anime movies" and watching some off those from the list.

1st The Neo Tokyo. Which was rather interesting, especially the "Racing" episode, really liked that one. The animation and visuals were nice. And the whole theme and atmosphere were really good.

2nd Redline! That was very entertaining and a no brainer watch. Nice visuals, music and over the top chaos!

3rd All the Evangelions! Started with the 2.22, because it was in the list's of best animes, then 1.11 and 3.33. These three really hit the spot! The story, the animations, colors, really liked it! The 1 thing I didn't like was the main characters whining! But if they will ever come out with 4.44, and I guess they will, I will watch it.

4th I thought I should watch the classics, so few hours ago I have finished "Spirited Away". Well, I have no idea what's all the hype about it. Yes it looks pretty, but the story is nothing special or mind blowing, just a simple tale for kids about something.

Next in line I have "5 Centimetres Per Second. Read that this one is one of the most beautiful in terms of visuals. And then I think I'll watch "Perfect Blue".

:)

Quite the list! Interested in some recommendations? :D These are some of my personal favourites.

Initial D Movie: Legend 1 - Kakusei. Know Initial D? No? Then watch this. It's pretty much a cult classic. Cars and drifting. This is the first movie of a trilogy which is a refresh of the older series with updated animation. If you like the movie, I do recommend checking out the original series. The animation in the first two seasons (Out of a total of 5) have not aged all that well, but I highly recommend it.

While we are on cars, check out Wangan Midnight. It's a 26 episode series about highway top speed battles. I love the soundtrack in this.

Kimi no Nawa. It's pretty much the most popular anime movie right now. Directed by the same person who did 5 Centimetres Per Second, so the animation is gorgeous. Highly recommended.

Summer Wars. It's more of a laid back comedy film. I really can't put my finger on why I like it, but I recommened it if you want something that doesn't have a supercomplex plot.

I'll make a few suggestions...

Akira
Cowboy Bebop
Riding Bean - This was supposed to be a series, but they only ever made one episode, you can watch it here...
http://www.watchanimemovie.com/sub-dub/riding-bean.html
Bubblegum Crisis - If you like cyberpunk/dystopian stuff, you'll like this
Gunsmith Cats - This one is more focused on guns than cars, although there is a pretty good car chase involving a W140 S600 Coupe and a Shelby GT500.

For some quick movie recommendations...

Wolf Children: Beautiful film about mother raising 2 kids in the country.
Satoshi Kon: All 3 of his films, i've only seen Paprika though, heard Pefect Blue and Millenium Actress are really good. Paprika is apparently one of the inspirations for Inception.
Ghost in the Shell: Highly regarded as one of the greatest anime films of all time. Make sure it's not the new Live Action one.
Porco Rosso: My personal favourite Studio Ghibli film, set between WWI and WWII, depicts a WWI fighter ace turn bounty hunter chasing Air Pirates.

And some series if you're interested.

FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood: The highest rated series on MyAnimeList, generally agreed upon that it's the greatest anime of all time. I finished it yesterday and agree with this to an extent. Follows two brothers who practice alchemy and the pitfalls that follow.
Spice and Wolf: My favourite series. Set during medieval northern europe, follows a travelling merchant who is "forced" to take a girl back to her homeland.
Steins;Gate: An excellent time travel science fiction show, follows a group of people who make a time machine from a microwave.
K-On!: Gonna throw a blind recommendation for anyone new. A laid back cute "Moe" show about a group of highschool girls who make a school music club, also lots of cake/tea.

These are rather simple descriptions for these series, hope they are good.

Interesting note about Riding Bean/Gunsmith Cats. They are by the same author. After Riding Bean was cancelled, he took the charachters from it and reworked them for Gunsmith Cats.

And finally, my completely predictable recommendations, which are just series. I endorse Cowboy Bebop and FMA: Brotherhood(they swap places for the best anime ever made for a reason.) from the above recommendations.

FLCL: a 6-Episode anime from 2000. Wonderfully bizarre and hard to describe. Coming-of-age meets giant robots and insanity.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: This is an interesting one for me. And one in which I can't be unbiased. At two seasons of 14 episodes each; it focuses on the life of the members of the SOS-brigade. Whose mission is to find any supernatural entities and have fun with them, at least that's what our title character thinks. Science Fiction, mystery and fantasy ensue, all wrapped in a slice of life format. Released in 2006 to great praise (Kyoto Animation, who also made K-On!, was on a roll in the mid-2000s) it got one of the most controversial second seasons in 2009 and an amazing movie in 2010. I endorse it massively, even if you should skip more than half of season 2.

Last edited:
Yakuindomo is coming to the big screens!

Can't wait to watch it... in another year or two.

In other news, I watched Koe no Katachi. It's really good! KyoAni and their god-tier animation is a sight to behold. Quite a lot of drama involved. The central theme is about bullying and how it affects everyone's lives. Almost all characters are messed up in one way or the other, and apparently, the manga expands on that subject a bit more. That's to be expected considering the movie runtime. Overall highly recommened. Good quality copies in the high seas.