General Phone Talk (o7)

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'03 Audi Allroad
*shrug*

I like to think that I would be a-ok with a Chocolate bar type phone for my needs. Lately I'm getting to the point where I don't want a full screen phone anymore.

This is especially true with recent iOS updates where when a call comes in, it is not taking the whole screen up and the face sensor to turn off the screen isn't working like it used to so I end up opening apps with my face while on the phone with people. Starting to get frustrated. I need a phone to call, view emails and occasionally look something up on the internet.

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
Reactions: lip

lip

Car(s)
Audi S6 V10 wagon
^ That palm looks really interesting. I have a very big phone, great for navigation in the car, for videos and so on, but at work it fits barely into my pocket. A tiny second phone that shares the big phones number is a neat idea.

And no, I can't use a smart watch, because in my line of field (metal hardening) a wristwatch has a very short life expectancy because it gets scratched up hard in just days. Hence I wear very cheap disposable watches, the longest time one survived was 9 months.

Tram

Ring, ring!
I hope this is the right place for this.

I'm pondering one of the biggest doubts of humanity, and that's iOS vs Android.

I do like my iPhone's software, as I think I've mentioned before, you can feel developers make apps for iPhones first while using one after using a mediocre Android device for a prolonged period of time. Also, I love how iPhones seemingly get updates forever.

However, for the most part, I dislike my iPhone's hardware specs. The battery is terribad. The camera is mediocre at its best. The design is, even if it looks good in my eyes, is a basic idea from 2014, further refined in 2017, sold again since 2020. Don't get me wrong, I like the build quality, I like the haptic engine (soooo much better than any Android phone I've tried so far and their puny vibration motors, this one I can actually feel in my pocket while walking), I like the color-accurate screen, I like True Tone. But there's many areas where it's lackluster compared to even much cheaper Androids.

Now, I've been pondering getting a new phone. I basically use my phone for communicating, taking pics, social media and Google Maps (yes, even on an iPhone I use Google Maps to get around town, I happen to like how it calculates the fastest route), and that's pretty much it. What I want is a phone that just has a decent camera, decent chipset that will allow it to run well for at least two or three years, an OK display (doesn't have to be spectacular, but the colors must be at least somewhat accurate) and, if possible, somewhat compact size. And all of that for ~€500.

Now, I doubt I'll have money until summer, and in Android world, things change so fast a 6-month-old phone is already well onto its way of obsolescence, but when it comes to iPhones, I pretty much know what I want. An 11 Pro (standard sized one) seems like a really decent package, the only problem is that people realize that, so it holds its value well. I'd be getting a 256GB model, and I'd buy it used and have the battery professionally replaced if it's under 90%, which it most likely would be, as the phone's been out of production for good two years now. The only problem is... The phones themselves seem to go for ~€500 and more, which would leave me no place for a battery replacement. Strangely enough, the iPhone XS, which is just one generation older, goes for like ~€300.

When it comes to the Android side, as I said, things change much faster because of many more manufacturers and models, and because software support on Android phones is lackluster, to say the least. Also, there are literally no compact-sized Android phones that aren't flagships or cost like one. So the closest to my wants I found was Samsung Galaxy A52s, which comes with a lot of nice features and can be had for like €400 brand new. I don't think Android flagships are a big must-go if you're buying an Android any more, as the mid-rangers got pretty good with both hardware specs and software support, and they cost almost as much, if not as much or even sometimes more than iPhones.

So yeah... this isn't just iOS vs Android, this is used iPhone vs brand new Android device.