General Toyota lawsuit/recall/problem thread

Which is why I told my colleague at work that if I had a bullet for most of these people, I'd be on death row.

So... you would shoot everyone who bought a Toyota because they wanted a safe and reliable car and then were pissed off when they found out Toyota was hiding major manufacturing flaws?

Well, only the "pissed off when they found out Toyota was hiding major manufacturing flaws" part.

Well, only the "pissed off when they found out Toyota was hiding major manufacturing flaws" part.

Why exactely do you want customers who are pissed off because they got cheated shot?

They promoted themselves as the safe and reliable car company, it was their entire brand identity

I don't know about where you're from, but in Australia and Japan I've never seen any advertising that is purely safety and/or reliability focused from Toyota. They have a reputation for reliability which they earned by making reliable cars.

OK I just checked and saw as part of their "moving forward" campaign in the US there were ads that were focused on "reliability", "dependability" and "quality", among others. Not exactly their entire brand identity though.

Toyota had known about potential problems and tried to cover it up [and] did everything possible to avoid responsibility.

Has anyone proven the unintended acceleration to be caused by anything other than the floor mats/sticking pedal/driver error yet?

I don't know about where you're from, but in Australia and Japan I've never seen any advertising that is purely safety and/or reliability focused from Toyota. They have a reputation for reliability which they earned by making reliable cars.

OK I just checked and saw as part of their "moving forward" campaign in the US there were ads that were focused on "reliability", "dependability" and "quality", among others. Not exactly their entire brand identity though.

That might be the case overseas, but here in the US both Toyota North America and individual dealerships constantly roll out safety, reliability and residual value in their adverts.

Has anyone proven the unintended acceleration to be caused by anything other than the floor mats/sticking pedal/driver error yet?

Toyota has done a good job offering settlements with a big non-disclosure statement on top. I did hear of one car that had a recurring unintended acceleration problem that was replicated by Toyota techs at the dealership. The car was immediately bought-back by Toyota and shipped off for "research." I think it was mentioned in this thread at some point, but I'm not going to dig into it to find it.

That might be the case overseas, but here in the US both Toyota North America and individual dealerships constantly roll out safety, reliability and residual value in their adverts.

Toyota has done a good job offering settlements with a big non-disclosure statement on top. I did hear of one car that had a recurring unintended acceleration problem that was replicated by Toyota techs at the dealership. The car was immediately bought-back by Toyota and shipped off for "research." I think it was mentioned in this thread at some point, but I'm not going to dig into it to find it.

Correct, a man experienced this in his Avalon and managed to limp the car using neutral to the Toyota dealership while it was doing this.

A rival Hyundai dealer got him into a Sonata.

Yeah, I'm a little confused by that too. For the average car buyer they look at Consumer Reports and maybe Edmunds or another online site. They believe what they read and most of them don't have any reason to doubt it. They don't follow the industry as closely as we do - we are abnormal, not them.

Yeah, I'm a little confused by that too. For the average car buyer they look at Consumer Reports and maybe Edmunds or another online site. They believe what they read and most of them don't have any reason to doubt it. They don't follow the industry as closely as we do - we are abnormal, not them.
And that's the problem with me. Most good cars I could think of that are still in working order get sent off to their deaths believing it's a much more serious problem; take my former '93 Subaru Legacy, for example. When I got it at an auction, I managed to get ahold of its previous owner, thought that the car itself was on its last leg. Apparently, it needed an MAF and an alternator. I've always said that if people were any less stupid, quite frankly, I would see a reduction of cars on the side of the road.
Such as? And why are they ignorant?
See above.

And that's the problem with me. Most good cars I could think of that are still in working order get sent off to their deaths believing it's a much more serious problem; take my former '93 Subaru Legacy, for example. When I got it at an auction, I managed to get ahold of its previous owner, thought that the car itself was on its last leg. Apparently, it needed an MAF and an alternator. I've always said that if people were any less stupid, quite frankly, I would see a reduction of cars on the side of the road.

See above.

Not everyone is as car savy. Not everyone knows or cares to know how to: repair a car, repair a house, write a dissertation on the quality of bacterial life in the extreme conditions in Karoug's pants, cook a souffle, and a million other things. My brother is a statistician, he knows little about cars, he'd rather be working on completing his PhD than repair an alternator.

So why should these people be shot?

Last edited:
Not everyone is as car savy. Not everyone knows or cares to know how to: repair a car, repair a house, write a dissertation on the quality of bacterial life in the extreme conditions in Kourg's pants, cook a souffle, and a million other things. My brother is a statistician, he knows little about cars, he'd rather be working on completing his PhD than repair an alternator.

So why should these people be shot?
I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with you there. My g/f can't tell an oil filter from a fuel filter but she knows what medicine prescribe to get someone better (studying to be a PA) not to mention detailed knowledge of human anatomy. On the other hand I couldn't find a kidney on even figure out how to use the thing that is used to look into your eye....

Like I said, I checked US ads and found some that focus on reliability, quality and durability but I don't think that's particularly special to Toyota.

Dealers trumpeting those values are a result of Toyota's proven qualities.

Toyota has done a good job offering settlements with a big non-disclosure statement on top.

I did hear of one car that had a recurring unintended acceleration problem that was replicated by Toyota techs at the dealership. The car was immediately bought-back by Toyota and shipped off for "research." I think it was mentioned in this thread at some point, but I'm not going to dig into it to find it.

Non-disclosure agreements are normal for settlement cases.

Do you suggest Toyota doesn't take the cars affected into their possession to try to find possible causes/solutions. I can imagine the outrage if they didn't. They can't win, can they?

So there's a report of one car with no evidence of what was causing the problem?

The NHTSA has indicated driver error to be a major factor. There was the sticky pedal manufactured by CTS and the floor mats, but no electrical gremlin yet.

Here are some pretty pictures I stole...

Picture-2401-474x349.png

Volvo as bad as Toyota?

Picture-241-468x350.png

Before the recall frenzy it was Ford leading the way, with Toyota, GM and Chrysler pretty even.

Demonstrated here...

Picture-243-469x350.png

And the speed of crashes?

Picture-245-467x350.png

More importantly what I notice is they ONLY mention safety and reliability, even now when their recalls are all over the news. I have seen these commercials playing on the news breaks and it is hilarious and kind of disgusting at the same time.

You also think that Volkswagen New Beetles have good build quality, because your aunt has one that still works. I've talked to other owners enough (it's a cult car) to know people do not buy them or keep them for quality they do because they are a smiley face on wheels and driving a smiley face for a car makes you happy even if it's windows are stuck down and all of the lights are flashing and broken. Why are you better than someone who buys a toyota because their sister has one and loves it?

Last edited:
Dear Kensuke Nogami, when the better-than-ordinary-people attitude of geeks in the negative sense of the world ends in "...should be shot" and defending "should be shot" instead of at least declaring it a figure of speech, -rep is the only answer.