Geneva 2008: 2009 Volkswagen Scirocco arrives early

Some more pictures:

volkswagen-scirocco-5.jpg

volkswagen-scirocco-4.jpg

volkswagen-scirocco-1.jpg

volkswagen-scirocco-3.jpg

volkswagen-scirocco-2.jpg

I quite like it. Looks way better than the current Golf.

I remember riding around in my dad's 1979 Sirocco. The driver's door fell off and had to be re-welded, the padding in the seats disintegrated, the dash fell to pieces, the passenger mirror rusted off and finally the manual transmission exploded itself all over the highway at 90,000 miles.

That being said, I love the look of the new Sirocco, I really hope that it is more reliable and better built than the original.

I love the look of this thing, the Old Scirocco was awesome

But...this things closet rival is, I guess...the Audi TT? Sounds like something BL would do

I remember riding around in my dad's 1979 Sirocco. The driver's door fell off and had to be re-welded, the padding in the seats disintegrated, the dash fell to pieces, the passenger mirror rusted off and finally the manual transmission exploded itself all over the highway at 90,000 miles.
NA VWs can not be the same as the ones we get, my mates got up to close to 200,000 Miles before rusting to bits and failing the MoT.

How boooooring is this exterior design? And how unfortunate is that considering this is a sports coupe? The original Scirocco had pretty conservative styling, but it was still exciting in an understated way. This just looks like a weird mix of Alfa front and Peugeot rear.

What's with VW using the exact same dash and instruments for nearly all their models? They need to mix things up. The seats on this look nice, but otherwise it's a replica of a Golf/Jetta/Eos interior.

Still, not a lot to compete with it directly over here in North America, right? Should sell pretty well.

NA VWs can not be the same as the ones we get, my mates got up to close to 200,000 Miles before rusting to bits and failing the MoT.

Back then all Sciroccos were built in Germany.

A Scirocco should be a coupe... not a hatchback.

p.s. "Oh, oh...look at this...a spare key for a Volkswagen Scirocco...they don't even make those any more! They don't even make that car anymore!! Whose keys are these?"

volkswagen-scirocco-1.jpg

Grrr I've got dirt on my forehead grrr wish I had longer tongue grrr must go faster to get it off

Who the hell put the emblem there?

Worst comparison so far:
db2008au00133_largea.jpg

Mitsubishi_Colt_92.jpg

Conclusion #1: This Scirocco's rear end is one third Alfa 147, one third Fiat Bravo and one third Mitsubishi Colt.
Conclusion #2: Volkswagen is not creative.

Last edited:
Compared to something like a TT and the 350z, it really looks drab and dull. And this of course, being a VW, won't be cheap.

meh...

It just looks like a squashed hatchback. I'll take a Golf GTI instead.

Conclusion #3 I'm tired of people comparing new cars to older designs

Looks great! I love the front end. Very aggressive but without looking rice.
Couldn't care less for the back end as I refuse to drive any kind of hatchback so my opinion would be too biased.
So it's something I would recommend to others but I wouldn't want to be seen driving in it.

Guh - I'm guessing that this is V-Dub's entry into the same market segment as the Alfa Romeo Brera?

If so, based on looks at least, it fails. Epically. Although, it might be faster and/or better to drive.

It does look quite a bit like a 147, and I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...