Geneva 2008: 2009 Volkswagen Scirocco arrives early

ahpadt

Forum Addict
Autoblog said:
We can't follow where this particular embargo break began, but a pair of official embargoed images of the production 2009 Volkswagen Scirocco scheduled to be unveiled next week at the Geneva Motor Show has hit the interweb. As you can see, the Scirocco's design has changed dramatically from its days on the auto show circuit as the IROC Concept. Gone is the face only a Pokemon master could love, replaced with something more appropriate for public consumption. In fact, the Scirocco will be the first VW we've seen in a while without the double-decker grille treatment. Instead, a slim grille connects its headlamps that are set atop a wide swath of body colored molding before we get to the large lower air intake that also houses turn signals and fog lamps. The basic body shape and rear of this hatchback are, however, much closer to their concept counterpart. Designers were not only able to port over the strong character line that created a broad shoulder down the entire length of the concept, but they even made it more pronounced on the production version by adding a slight crease. From what we can see, the car is lower and wider than, say, an R32 or GTI, which officially makes it the VW hatch we've always wanted and, surprise, won't get.

db2008au00134_largea.jpg

db2008au00133_largea.jpg

Front looks like the 8th gen Galant. Still better than the concept's o: face.

Looks way better than the concept, IMO.

It looks like a GTI which a really fat man sat on...

I must have channeled you; I was thinking the same thing! Seriously, it looks uninspired to me. The old Sirocco's were pretty radical looking for then prudent Volkswagen.

Ummmmm, boring? Yes, looks like a 147. The front looks all wrong.

i like the front but the back needs to be more coupe like. why not just buy a 3dr golf GTi? ah well, here's hoping they do an AWD version...

For something thats supposed to be a coupe, it doesn't look very exciting compared to the old Scirocco.

I quite like it!!! Seriously! :lol:

Coming from VW I think it really is a looker (remember, bearing in mind it's a VW). Yes that back looks like the one from the Alfa 147. But the question is...

Is that a problem? :p

What the fuck, Volkswagen. I want this car, but you wont sell it here, because you think I am satisfied with Ms. I've Had All the Pies (Thanks Jezza) Golf Rabbit.

I'm moving to Europe so I can drive cars I actually want.

FUCK

Yes, I know the Megane is Ms. I've Had All the Pies, but I think the Golf looks fat too.

The front reminds of an impreza. Seems pretty boringified compared to the concept. How many Golf derivatives will there still be? There's the Golf, the Golf Plus, the Touran, the Tiguan, the Eos, the Jetta and now this... And I'm not counting the other VAG brands.

They need the other variants to make up for the lack of profits from the Golf. They may be selling quite a few of them, but they're quite expensive to build.