Geneva 2008: SEAT Bocanegra Concept (aka New Ibiza)

Z102

Car(s)
'07 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport
Autoblog said:
SEAT is set to unveil the Bocanegra Concept tomorrow during the first press day of the 2008 Geneva Motor Show, and it previews the upcoming replacement for the production Ibiza model. For those familiar with the rather homely looking Ibiza, the Bocanegra (which literally means "black mouth") should be a welcome portent of things to come. SEAT, a subsidiary of Volkswagen, was always supposed to be the Kia to Volkswagen's Hyundai, but has not done a great job of mixing performance and low prices together. Well, it got the latter down. The Bocanegra Concept, however, sports an aggressive, expressive design that, while not altogether original (we see Euro Focus and BMW 1-Series cues), is a major leap forward for the Spanish brand. Sources say the concept's sheetmetal is pretty darn close to what the production model will be when it debuts later this year at the Madrid Motor Show, and the hatch will also be offered in a five-door version. The concept interior, however, will likely be warmed over for production. Expect a full smattering of motors that you would also find in any small VW on sale in Europe.
http://img162.imageshack.**/img162/5787/00seatbocanegraoptbe0.jpg

Source

Personally, I think it looks great, specially in comparison with the rest of the SEAT line-up. Let's hope the production model looks this good.

More pics

Last edited:
Yep, I like the look of that (thank god it's not another identikit cut-and-paste Seat model).

Having said that I hope they get rid of that black front for the production model :/

It is certainly radical, but I'm getting a bit weary of all these body creases all over the place and the black plastic bumpers.

Mmmmmm.... :think:

I like the new "lambo inspired" design trend that SEAT is having now instead of the Copy/Paste Altea design they've been having lately. But I think it's too sporty. We already have enough douchebags driving their Ibiza's like madmen back here in Spain. Don't give them another reason to continue this trend! :lol:

And please SEAT stop putting silly names to your concepts! Bocanegra? WTF!

Mmmmmm.... :think:

I like the new "lambo inspired" design trend that SEAT is having now instead of the Copy/Paste Altea design they've been having lately. But I think it's too sporty. We already have enough douchebags driving their Ibiza's like madmen back here in Spain. Don't give them another reason to continue this trend! :lol:

And please SEAT stop putting silly names to your concepts! Bocanegra? WTF!

The good news is that SEAT is saying that these are going to be their new design cues for the future. The bad news is that it will probably be some time till it gets to the rest of the lineup. Another bad news is that yes, it will become once more the douchebag-mobile, dethroning the current Leon as the car of choice for that particular demographic.

Oh, and BTW, "Bocanegra" was the nickname of the old SEAT 1200 Sport, one of the few (exactly three, if my memory serves well) early SEAT models that wasn't licensed from FIAT. Here is a fine example of it:

http://img229.imageshack.**/img229/6916/imag0018cpi1.jpg

I said it about the new Lancer hatchback and I will say it again for this one - I bet the production version will not have these headlights :p

The good news is that SEAT is saying that these are going to be their new design cues for the future. The bad news is that it will probably be some time till it gets to the rest of the lineup. Another bad news is that yes, it will become once more the douchebag-mobile, dethroning the current Leon as the car of choice for that particular demographic.

Oh, and BTW, "Bocanegra" was the nickname of the old SEAT 1200 Sport, one of the few (exactly three, if my memory serves well) early SEAT models that wasn't licensed from FIAT. Here is a fine example of it:

http://img229.imageshack.**/img229/6916/imag0018cpi1.jpg

Oh! Didn't know about the past of the "Bocanegra"! Thanks! ;)

The thing is I like the new design. But for the Ibiza I think it's too much. What I'd really love to see it's THOSE design cues with the Leon. I really think they screwed up the current one by making it look like a fat low Altea. Although I wouldn't buy one (the "douche-mobiles" will always be "douche-mobiles") I think it would be nicer to see them on the streets than the current one. :lol:

The Ibiza have always been one of the only car you can buy and which looks already barried ! :-D

I like it, I hope SEAT continues its own styling, and not going down the drain like VW and Skoda "WE MUST APPEAL TO ALL" :(

http://img162.imageshack.**/img162/5787/00seatbocanegraoptbe0.jpg

That is about as badass as it gets for small cars. The black front end is a bit weird, and the rest of the creases are indeed a bit BMW 1 series, but all in all nice effort.

And I vow to eat my own hair if the production model comes with those headlights!

seat-bocanegra-f3q.jpg
seat-bocanegra-f.jpg

seat-bocanegra-rs.jpg
seat-bocanegra-r.jpg

Seat is previewing its upcoming new-generation Ibiza with a concept called Bocanegra.

Sharing its underpinnings with the latest Skoda Fabia and Volkswagen Polo, the new Ibiza will be a little larger and roomier than the outgoing model; there will be three- and five-door variants again, and Seat has indicated that an estate and even a roadster are under consideration. Seat is also promising much-improved quality and attention to detail.

Engines for the range will include 1.2 and 1.4-litre petrol engines, with turbochargers and direct injection, and the usual array of diesels; hotted-up FR and Cupra models will follow. This concept features the VW Group's 1.4 TSI twin-charger (turbo- and supercharged) engine with seven-speed DSG sequential-shift transmission.

The name Bocanegra ('black mouth') was a nickname for the late-'70s Seat 1200 Sport Coupe, so-called due to its black plastic front fascia panel. This front-end design is echoed in this Bocanegra's semi-transparent Perspex nose layout.

The production version of this Luc Donckervolke-designed concept will keep the Ibiza name, however. It will be launched at the Madrid Motor Show in May; five-door versions come first, arriving in the UK towards the end of the year, with the 'Sportcoupe' three-door on sale early 2009.

:eek: Looks terrific! Glad its not another Altea (XL or Toldeo!)

Looks like a MINI Leon! Which is good! Except it looks cooler!

Please keep those headlights!

Build it immediately!

a blatant copy of Bangled design style. ew.