German Cuisine - Looking for Recipes

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Discussions in another thread went off topic (TG and Mexicans) and onto the subject of food.

It was pointed out that most of the decent food we have in the UK is imported - Indian, Chinese etc etc - and very little of what one would call traditionally British is actually any good. With a few exceptions I would agree.

What I don't have in my own personal cooking repertoire is anything German and since there are plenty of you guys here any recipes (or suggestions at least) gratefully received.

And no jokes as I have sampled quite a bit of German cuisine in Germany and enjoyed it. Just can't really remember enough about it to try it myself without assistance.

This is very german:
http://www.cooksunited.co.uk/recipes/584001205175913/Potato-Salad-with-Mayonnaise.html
Serve with sausage, bread and mustard ...

The english Wikipedia gives a good overview. It?s hard coming up with a "german" cuisine since very common dishes in some parts of the country are almost unknown in others (as it is with many bigger countries).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cuisine

Personally, I won?t tire to tell people how I crave this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett

Oh, and no mentioning of german cuisine is complete without the Sauerbraten (Sour roast) - but you need some days to marinade that ...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sauerbraten-recipe/index.html

Last edited:
Last edited:
Interesting site, but probably the worst recipe for Jambalaya I've ever seen.

None of my grandmothers recipes exist in digital format, however over the years when asked for recipes i have found versions that are digitally available and basically the same

Jaeger schnitzel

Dill Spaetzel

Rotkohl (Red Cabbage)

obviously you are going to need a recipe for Saurkraut

also check out Germanfood.About.com they have a pretty great selection of recipes both traditional and contemporary

Interesting site, but probably the worst recipe for Jambalaya I've ever seen.

Dunno what else is there, I only linked to one recipe :tease: in other words, cook anything at your own risk.

This is what the Germans serve to Danes that come for border shopping:
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/m3/m3lover/2011/02/01/currywurst.jpg
:p (Currywurtst; Chopped sausage smothered in ketchup and curry).

My experience with German cuisine has mostly involved generous amounts of meat and potatos.

Yeah, Currywurst rules when done properly.

Oh, and if you want German cuisine - buy proper bread looking like this:
:yes: The bread is one of the things many Germans miss when abroad, and for good reason.

My experience with German cuisine has mostly involved generous amounts of meat and potatos.
Potatos are like tomatos to me, I like them in all forms except for the most basic, i.e. a boiled potato or a plain tomato.

Let's see: Bratkartoffeln (sliced pan-fried potatoes with little bits of bacon), Kartoffelauflauf (au gratin), Kartoffelbrei (mashed, with milk and butter for smoothness), Kartoffelsuppe (a thick, rich soup), Schupfnudeln (similar to gnocchi), Kn?del (dumplings), Kroketten ... as long as you do more with them than cook them in water for 20 minutes, they're nice and really quite typical. Just a sauce can make all the difference.

A decent German can't-go-wrong dish is pork medallions in a cream and white mushroom sauce with boiled potatos and vegetables or a salad dish.

Game is quite common, usually venison, roe or wild boar if the hunter was able to get one of the clever buggers. As for birds, we eat the same as most other people, i.e. chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks and maybe a pheasant every now and then. Fish depends on your proximity to the sea - you can get fantastic brown trout in the inland and excellent seafish closer to the sea, fresh from the boat basically. For a treat, have North Sea shrimp (grey shrimp), as fresh as you can get them.

Try fresh Pellkartoffeln (fresh as in bought from the farmer straight off the field - scrub them down properly before cooking, then the skin is edible if you like). Add nothing, maybe a piece of Kr?uterbutter if you like. Best thing evar, will let you appreciate the potato as it is.

Only recipe that falls to mind right now is: Boil ze sausage. Serve with mustard.

Seriously, is there anything unique to the Fatherland couisine?

Are there any distinctly German appetizers? Any kind of finger food is basically what I'm looking for. Something that would be served at parties perhaps.

Raw minced meat with onions and parsley?

Indeed. Raw pork too, a meat I have always been told to ensure was thoroughly cooked to avoid food poisoning.

the bread

I've never found anything comparable abroad. I may find good quality, but then the price is outrageous and there's no variety... and so it goes on.

The scandinavian countries + The Netherlands (maybe more?) has lots of Rye Bread / Schwartsbroot / what ever you want to call it, so it's certainly not unique to Germany but still very good.

I have found that the general quality of baked stuff (bread, pastry etc.) in northern Europe is quite high compared to most of the places I have been to otherwise.