German Cuisine - Looking for Recipes

Indeed. Raw pork too, a meat I have always been told to ensure was thoroughly cooked to avoid food poisoning.

With good pork you can serve it pink no problem.

In Japan they've been eating rare chicken (obviously it has to be super fresh) for years and years and they seem to think nothing about it, so I'm personally not bothered about all this food poisoning non-sense.

Last edited:
I'm sure, but at my age once one has it programmed that certain things shall not pass one's lips it's hard to change that thinking.

Indeed. Raw pork too, a meat I have always been told to ensure was thoroughly cooked to avoid food poisoning.
"Mett" is heavily regulated here and it?s also one of those things you only buy at places that you trust. Even being a fan of the stuff - I don?t buy it anywhere, only places that I trust to abide by the law and make it fresh every day. If you want to buy Mett somewhere outside germany, don?t just go somewhere and order minced pork. That will go wrong and you?ll end up over the toilet with the wrong end of your body. You need absolutly fresh minced pork with under 35% fat. Ideally you can still hear the piggy scream in the backroom when they prepare yours ...

Last edited:
No, not everyone eats that every day in Germany.
True, and I don't even like Hackfleisch (minced meat).

A couple more ideas: diced cheese on a toothpick together with a grape, melon balls (carved with a little special tool from a fresh melon), prunes in bacon (fried; IIRC this is an imported Spanish idea) and most importantly: Schnittchen. They're like canap?s, but with German ingredients... essentially bread, butter and sliced cheese/ham/sausage on it with a bit of garnish.

The scandinavian countries + The Netherlands (maybe more?) has lots of Rye Bread / Schwartsbroot / what ever you want to call it, so it's certainly not unique to Germany but still very good.

Some Danish bread does indeed come close :nod:

"Mett" is heavily regulated here and it?s also one of those things you only buy at places that you trust. Even being a fan of the stuff - I don?t buy it anywhere, only places that I trust to abide by the law and make it fresh every day. If you want to buy Mett somewhere outside germany, don?t just go somewhere and order minced pork. That will go wrong and you?ll end up over the toilet with the wrong end of your body. You need absolutly fresh minced pork with under 35% fat. Ideally you can still hear the piggy scream in the backroom when they prepare yours ...

Or worm cysts in your brain.

Potato pancakes probably originated in Eastern Europe, not a religious dish per se.

I see, I always eat them with my Jewish friends and they are very traditional to their cuisine. Some creme fraiche, applesauce and those perfectly fried bastards and I've got the itis.

Sure, why not - it's not like all wine is christian just because it's supposed to be "the blood of Jesus".

I'd have said lunch... but that's due to cultural differences, traditionally Germans tend to eat cooked meals at lunchtime and bread/etc at dinnertime.
However, they would in theory work as breakfast if you're used to having fried/cooked stuff in the morning.

I'd have said lunch... but that's due to cultural differences, traditionally Germans tend to eat cooked meals at lunchtime and bread/etc at dinnertime.
However, they would in theory work as breakfast if you're used to having fried/cooked stuff in the morning.

Lunch could be done Saturday. Hmm, I need to pickup an onion tomorrow then. Oh and some apple sauce.

Don't know if it is specifically German .. but I had this dessert in a restaurant in Dusseldorf a couple of years ago:

Carrot-Desert.jpg

Everything was made from carrot! Carrot ice cream, carrot sorbet, carrot cake, sweet carrot chutney and a caramelized carrot "brandy snap" .. was all very pleasant too ....... but is beaten as the best dessert ever by the Belgian White Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding I had at the King William IV pub in Littlebourne Kent in 1996.